ExPo 3.4 Swap Happy Hour

Crenshaw

Adventurer
It seems to me like there are more and more 3.4 swaps popping up around here on older pickups and 4runners. Maybe it's a good idea to consolidate information and questions into one place. Everyone probably knows that YotaTech is the sort of definitive source for 3.4 info, but I know personally I like to get what I can from this site if possible. It's especially handy if you run into someone with a similar year/model donor and recipient for the purposes of sharing wiring pinouts and such.

Here is the link to mine on YT: http://www.yotatech.com/f160/whiteys-3-4-hour-tour-287434/
FB42555D-02B1-46A8-84C5-3B0643094E39_zpsvvpgzxdm.jpg

'89 Extra Cab pickup 5spd
'98 4runner 5vze engine
Auto harness and ECU
DIY harness adapter
DIY exhaust crossover
Stock 3.4 airbox
3.4 Evap

My swap went about as smoothly as one could ask for over a long weekend. ECU throws codes for the transmission but nothing else- I made the CEL easy to disconnect so it's not staring me in the face and just periodically check for codes. No emissions or inspection where I live.

Everything is running great and working as it should other than the A/C. Some people are able to get by swapping the pulley on their existing 3.0 A/C compressor but apparently the actual size of the compressor changes throughout the years and your belt alignment will not work if you've got the wrong one. So I'll need to source one from a 3.4 to get things running, which would be a good opportunity to convert to r134 anyway.

I'm getting around 18mpg combined and will hit 21-22 on the highway if I'm easy on it. This is with 33's and 4.88s. I can pass people going over Monarch pass which was unheard of with the old 3.0.

Austo

Observer
1992 3.4 swap with a 1998 4-runner donor. I have to say Off Road Solutions made everything a lot easier in regards to the wiring and they are a great source of information.

Austo

Observer
Crenshaw, do you know why you are throwing a code for the transmission? Mine never came up, just curious...

Crenshaw

Adventurer
I can't remember the exact codes it throws offhand, some shift solenoid error was one of them and I think maybe trans speed sensor. The ecu is looking for the trans and it's just not there. You're running a 5spd with auto ecu and no codes? If so, I'm surprised.

There's a guy on YT that apparently came up with a combination of resistors to trick the ecu into thinking the auto trans is there. I may go down that road eventually since I'm way too cheap to buy the proper 5spd ecu and it runs perfectly fine as is.

Do you have working A/C? If so, which parts are you using?

zidaro

Explorer
www.yotatech.com

TONS of swap info on this forum. great to see builds here, but if you need info to swap an engine, yotatech is the forum. Post up what you've done and people will have appreciation and advice naturally.
why dilute the info on too many forums, esp. ones that are not specific to ......... Expo is a great forum for camping and general vehicle builds and traveling the world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78