ExPo 80 Series Registry

40-Overlander

Thanks! According to the carfax the vehicle had..

At 170K
Transfer case serviced
Antifreeze/coolant flushed/changed
Power steering fluid flushed/changed
Automatic transmission serviced
Rear differential fluid flushed/changed
Rear differential serviced
Front differential fluid flushed/changed
Tune-up performed
Valve cover gasket(s) replaced
Oil and filter changed

At 185K
Oil and filter changed
Tire(s) replaced
Three tires mounted and balanced
Battery replaced
Battery/charging system checked
Rear brake pads replaced

At 205K
Brakes checked
Radiator replaced
Seat(s) checked
Hood adjusted
Window(s) checked
Fluids checked
Electrical system checked

Other normal services like oil changes, tire rotations complete in-between those mileage points. Not too sure about the PHH though.

Box Rocket

I would expect that the PHH has not been replaced. Fortunately its a cheap repair and just a bit of hassle since it's somewhat hard to get to. Again, lots of info out there on replacing that if you want to tackle it yourself. Sounds to me like it's not been neglected. If the price is good and you feel good about it then I say go for it. They're great trucks.

40-Overlander

I know the vehicle is pretty old but is a little play in the steering wheel and softer brakes normal. I've been spoiled with new vehicles so Ive forgotten what it's like to drive a 18yr old vehicle. Also suspension probably needs to be replaced. It's super soft

Box Rocket

The steering shouldn't be too loose. Could be a sign of worn TRE's and/or trunion bearings etc. But you'll address some of that when you service the front axle. As for the brakes, the 80 series brakes are like stomping on a block of wood against the wheel hub compared to newer vehicles. Not a lot you can do there unless you go total aftermarket brake system. It's common to upgrade to 100 Series brake pads though. You'll get used to it.

40-Overlander

May have just purchased my first 80 series. Some usual things wrong with it. Side door light on driver side is out. Electric mirror on driver side shakes, some interior ware like the electric seats are pretty much shot. Looks like time will tell if I made a decent decision. See where this adventure leads. With my trade Im about to walk out the door for 5k. Had about 2-2.5k in equity on the trade.

40-Overlander

Here's some from the dealership. They're the ones they used for the ad. By the time I escaped it was already too late to take decent pics. I'm interested in hearing about how you guys deal with little things wearing out here and there. So far I've found some lights that won't work with the door sensors, electric seats are won't move back and forth but will tilt, lumbar is good. Antenna is stuck. I'm sure it's just wear and tear but if there's a good source to get parts from I'm all ears. Thanks! Take it easy

Land Cruiser 5.jpg
Land Cruiser 2.jpg
Land Cruiser 3.jpg
Land Cruiser 4.jpg

MROONFJ

Observer
Cruiserparts.net
Looks like a great buy. I just bought my first about a month ago. It's a 96. Love it. Mods are on the way, and pics are coming soon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Box Rocket

Here's some from the dealership. They're the ones they used for the ad. By the time I escaped it was already too late to take decent pics. I'm interested in hearing about how you guys deal with little things wearing out here and there. So far I've found some lights that won't work with the door sensors, electric seats are won't move back and forth but will tilt, lumbar is good. Antenna is stuck. I'm sure it's just wear and tear but if there's a good source to get parts from I'm all ears. Thanks! Take it easy

View attachment 305906
View attachment 305907
View attachment 305908
View attachment 305909

the forums at IH8MUD.com should become your new best friend. Hard to know what the deal is with the seats, the sliding motor might be toast. The antenna is a common failure. It has a nylon gear that gets stripped out and it won't go up and down anymore. You can replace it with a OEM one or just switch it out for a fixed mast. The shaky mirror is a common one too. There's lots of info on MUD about fixing that. Basically there is a plastic "ear" on the backside of the mirror where it's attached that is broken. Fixing the ear will stop the shaking. FYI the dome lights might throw you off a little. The front dome light (by the rearview mirror) does not come on when the door is open. It's manual only using the switch. The front doors should turn on the dome light over the second row. The back doors will turn on the dome lights over the second and third row. Hop on MUD and do a search for PFRAN LEDs. It's a great set of plug-n-play LEDs that replace all the interior cabin lights. He also has some wicked bright LED reverse bulbs.

mervo

Observer
Hey all,

Much like 40-Overlander I just picked myself up my first Land Cruiser.

1. Year, model, color, etc: 95, FZJ80, Black, Locked.
2. Name of owner/screen name: Mervo
3. How long have you owned your 80 series? 2 Weeks
4. Mileage at date of purchase and present mileage: 196k
5. Your favorite mods... If any: Scan Guadge II Installed this morning!
6. How your 80 is used... ie. DD, family adventure, overland travel, etc.: Family Adventure, Hunting, Fishing, Climbing, etc. Project vehicle and not a DD.
7. Your 3 favorite photos (keep them updated): Why are they inserting upside down! Standby for pics.

IMG_3987.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3987.JPG
    IMG_3987.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4037.JPG
    IMG_4037.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

40-Overlander

VA State Inspection / Update to the recent buy.

Got the VA State Inspection on Tuesday. Failed. Front passenger bright head bulb out, front passenger shock busted, leaking rear passenger shock, third brake light (LED BAR) out, bearing needs to be repacked, Exhaust hanger busted.

So the suspension wasn't a surprise, nor was it a depressing matter. "Oohhhh nooo! I have to get a new OME suspension...". Ordered and will be coming shortly :) What I wasn't expecting was the LED bar. Long story short I went into the headliner and found that the previous owner had disconnected all of the wires to the rear hatch. Upon connecting everything back together everything worked. LED bar, power lock, and rear window wiper. AWESOME!

So of course you have to ask why would someone go through the trouble and disconnect all the wires? And of course I find out about 20 minutes later when I realize the door sensor wasn't registering the hatch was closed and caused the dome light to stay on. So on the back hatch latch there's plastic piece that's missing. You'll notice it on both sides of the tailgate latch. Not sure how I'm going to fix that yet but it could be worse.

Bright light on the passenger side was just disconnected. No biggie there.

Picked up some replacement shocks for the ones that are busted. Tried to install the front and found out it's probably best to be a two man job. Used some good ole PB blaster on the nut in the engine compartment. Took the wheel off and ran into the issue of the shock spinning while trying to take off the nut. Couldn't brake it loose. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm considering buying an impact gun but I'm thinking I'll still need a buddy for the job. Has anyone else tackled the lift kit solo? Thanks!

Box Rocket

Got the VA State Inspection on Tuesday. Failed. Front passenger bright head bulb out, front passenger shock busted, leaking rear passenger shock, third brake light (LED BAR) out, bearing needs to be repacked, Exhaust hanger busted.

So the suspension wasn't a surprise, nor was it a depressing matter. "Oohhhh nooo! I have to get a new OME suspension...". Ordered and will be coming shortly :) What I wasn't expecting was the LED bar. Long story short I went into the headliner and found that the previous owner had disconnected all of the wires to the rear hatch. Upon connecting everything back together everything worked. LED bar, power lock, and rear window wiper. AWESOME!

So of course you have to ask why would someone go through the trouble and disconnect all the wires? And of course I find out about 20 minutes later when I realize the door sensor wasn't registering the hatch was closed and caused the dome light to stay on. So on the back hatch latch there's plastic piece that's missing. You'll notice it on both sides of the tailgate latch. Not sure how I'm going to fix that yet but it could be worse.

Bright light on the passenger side was just disconnected. No biggie there.

Picked up some replacement shocks for the ones that are busted. Tried to install the front and found out it's probably best to be a two man job. Used some good ole PB blaster on the nut in the engine compartment. Took the wheel off and ran into the issue of the shock spinning while trying to take off the nut. Couldn't brake it loose. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm considering buying an impact gun but I'm thinking I'll still need a buddy for the job. Has anyone else tackled the lift kit solo? Thanks!

I swapped the suspension on my '95 solo. It's not too bad, just have a couple sets of good jack stands. For the shocks I used a strap wrench on the shock body to keep it from spinning. A second set of hands would make it easier but it's doable on your own.

NorthStar96

NorthStar96

1. Year, model, color, etc:
1996 FZJ80 Black, Tan int.
2. Name of owner/screen name:
Joe/ NorthStar96
3. How long have you owned your 80 series?
4 Months. Is this your first? Yes

4. Mileage at date of purchase and present mileage: 245K
5. Your favorite mods... If any: CDL switch added.
6. How your 80 is used... ie. DD, family adventure, overland travel, etc.:
Daily driver.
7. Your 3 favorite photos (keep them updated):

Attachments

• elcee2.jpg
    elcee2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 31
  • LCnewshoes.jpg
    LCnewshoes.jpg
    596.5 KB · Views: 33

olypenjeeper

new guy checking in

1. Year, model, color, etc:
1997 FZJ80 Desert Dune Pearl, Tan int.
2. Name of owner/screen name:
Brian/ olypenjeeper
3. How long have you owned your 80 series?
3 Months. Is this your first? Yes

4. Mileage at date of purchase and present mileage: 164K/166

5. Your favorite mods... If any: Bought it already built with OME J springs, 285's, ARB bumper, Warn 9000Xi winch, factory lockers, dual battery tray installed (need battery & wiring) dash mount CB, CDL switch installed

6. How your 80 is used... ie. DD, family adventure, overland travel, etc.:
Been out of the wheeling game for awhile, always wanted a LC, drove a few 60's, then found this 80 series nearby, fell in love. weekend cruiser, flyfishing expo rig around the cali/Oregon border. coming from jeeps, this FZJ80 is impressive!

7. Your 4 favorite photos (keep them updated): added my 87 coleman custom pop-up, 3500 lb axle, lift, 31's, solar power.

Attachments

• IMG_0739.jpg
    IMG_0739.jpg
    555 KB · Views: 71
  • SANY0046.jpg
    SANY0046.jpg
    606.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0798.jpg
    IMG_0798.jpg
    604 KB · Views: 64
  • SANY0059.jpg
    SANY0059.jpg