ExPo Dads?

offero

Desert rat
So I have a 20-month-old son who already loves the outdoors—what toddler boy doesn’t though—and who might just like camping. A few friends with adult children always speak nostalgically of taking their toddler camping for the first time at 1-2 years old, but I know it’s a fair amount of work. The problem is that mom just isn’t into it. She’ll hike, but there’s no way she’ll spend a weekend in the desert or mountains camping. I think taking my son out solo would be biting off more than I can chew until he's older.

Any families here who do young kid-oriented trips? You know crack-o-dawn wake-ups, hanging around camp for naps, fairly quiet after kids go to bed, etc.

It would be fun to get a family camping group together for some adventuring in the SoCal deserts, Sierras, and beyond.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'm in a similar situation to you, but about 11 months further along (daughter is 2-1/2). Mom's a good sport, but isn't a full-on enthusiast just yet, but daughter begs to go camping at least once a week.

I come from backpacking, so finding the ExPo was a big thing for me - I want my daughter to get used to waking up in the middle of nowhere. That said, we've been sticking mostly to campgrounds thus far. Partly because I'm still building the rig, and partly because it makes life easier for Mom, who still has to spend a lot of time with the kid while I setup camp, cook, etc. Once our daughter is a bit older, we'll be pushing farther out into the wilds, and possibly just as daddy/daughter trips. When I can sit her down with an activity and KNOW she'll stay there for 20-30 minutes while I cook a meal or whatever, then I'll feel better handling her on my own.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
We have a 16 month old. We first took him camping at 8 months. He did "alright". The first night camping with his is usually rough, but he tends to do well. Last May, we did a 2 week camping trip through Colorado and he did great. We usually try to plan naps around driving time (ie do something in the morning like hike and then drive somewhere while he sleeps and then do a second activity). The evening is usually the hardest, but he usually ends up falling asleep in the tent before we go to bed. It is a lot of extra work, but I feel like we are laying the groundwork for future fun for all.

ljtuck

I am a stay at home dad with 2 boys (3 and 5). I am no where near SoCal, so probably won't plan any trips with you, but...

In my situation, it helps that my wife is into the outdoors too, so that make it easier. All I can say is get out there and do what you love. It is a bit different with kids, but they are very adaptable. Start out small and stick with what you are comfortable with. I know that I was always a bit more careful in my off-roading choices when I went by myself with my boys - only because if something happened, even getting stuck, it can start to suck pretty fast! Carry extra diapers, food, and have a way to communicate with civilization in the beginning.

If it helps for encouragement.... We took my oldest son on a Helicopter fly in week long ski trip when he was 20 months old. He was the oldest kid out of 5 on that trip! He went with us to Moab in a tent when he was 10 months old. We go to Moab every year. Last year we spent about 5 weeks in our little Boler. A 3 week trip through central Oregon, a trip to Moab and a bunch of other places.

We have found that just getting out there and doing it early on helps as the kids just realize it's part of life. They usually love it! And it's pretty easy for a toddler to spend an hour playing in the dirt while you make supper. It get's easier the older they are that's for sure. We also do less tent camping now and more trailer camping - but the way I see it is that it is only for a few years. Plus, there's something pretty cool about being a kid again yourself. The first time they see a campfire, roast marshmallows, etc.... It's a blast.

Dirtytires

Explorer
I say go for it. I have two young boys and they like to camp. I think being involved with the Boyscouts and
all seem to have helped. I am at home as well. As they were small I took them everywhere with me, outings,
parks, hikes, bikeing. It is good for them to be outside. Good for the body and brain.

SilverBullet

Explorer
We have 3 kids and we all love to camp. We bought a tent trailer a few years ago and that made us a little less of a tent family, but if u want to set up a family trip, we would be interested.

All 3 of ours camped even when petty training, so camp grounds with pit toilets were a plus for our family, just good for thought.

hoaxci5

Observer
Step up and do it. I took my 2 year old twins through 27 states last year while my wife was deployed. On top of other camping trips and wheeling trips. Just keep in mind they are in charge, or else you won't have fun.

Dirtytires

Explorer
Step up and do it. I took my 2 year old twins through 27 states last year while my wife was deployed. On top of other camping trips and wheeling trips. Just keep in mind they are in charge, or else you won't have fun.

So true.. So true.

hoaxci5

Observer
Make sure you have a kid carrier backpack, if you want to hike my kids sleep right in the pack, no need to plan around nap time. A lot of time they wake up if we stop. (I'm talking when my wife and I go together since I have twins) I wouldn't dare to try to complete a hike with my 2 kids solo...

My kids also sleep well in their car seats, so if you are travelling from site to site, what I would do is wake up and pack up, then drive for an hour or two and stop for lunch. After lunch my kids normally take a nap so I could get several more hours of peaceful travel. It's all about knowing your kids schedule and sort of planning around that, but making sure you keep flexible also..

I'd recommend heading out to someplace close by for an easy overnight trip. Coral Canyon or Ocotillo Wells, you will be close enough to home that if you just can't handle it you can drive home.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
There's a 12 year age difference in my two boys, but both were out with me fairly early on.

It was a big motivation for 'potty training', as once they had that down, then they could go on multiple night trips with dad.

Lost some 'friends' along the way, as they didn't have kids, and didn't really care for having kids around the camp site.

Not a great loss, as I have made some true friends who also love to bring their kids out.

My wife doesn't mind camping, but doesn't care to go as often as I do, so it's usually me and one of the boys.

My oldest was very timid when young, while my youngest I had to keep one eye peeled all the time, or he would be out on his own little 'hike'!

Best thing to do is start small, close to home as mentioned. See what works.

As they get older, include them in with the planning and packing, making sure they bring something that is special to them.

My local Jeep club does a 'Fathers Day Run' every year, where we take the kids for 2-3 days and camp. Activities include trail riding, hiking (for some) fishing, etc.

Hilight of the night is 'Toasted Twinkies' over the fire!

We started out with Geo-Caching, making day trips around the local area, then finding caches farther out from home, and finally far enough that we had to camp.

So each 'stage' was a little more comprehensive, and the boys had a blast helping plan, researching where to camp, what there was to do there (hike, fish, swim, etc)

Once that was going good, I started bringing them farther out, hitting some of my favorite hunting and fishing areas.

Whether it's woods or dessert, nature is full of things to keep kids interested.

ljtuck

Here's 4 random shots of camping with the kids. A couple of things we learned that might make it easier for you:

- get one of those strap on booster seat / table things. They can strap onto picnic tables, tailgates, sit on the ground etc....
- we used to bring along those interlocking mat pieces (the blue mats in the pics) when my kids were really little and it sort of helped keep them out of the dirt for a bit.
- find a decent pack-n-play folding playpen for when they are really little and you need to contain them for a bit. Your 20 month old might already be past that stage.
- letting them learn that fire is hot early on is really a lot easier than trying to keep them away from your campfire.

2011-09-25%252012.03.10.jpg

DSCN1022.JPG

DSCN1088.JPG

DSCN1067.JPG

offero

Desert rat
Wow, what a response! I might just try to take my son out for an overnight when the weather warms up a bit more in the desert. A 1.5 hour drive shouldn't be too bad. He GENERALLY stays put if he has toys to play with or dirt in front of him! I'll just have to plan super easy meals.

I do have a kid backpack that my son likes to sit in already. I think he likes being up high and checking everything out. He used to always grab branches and stuff while hiking our local urban canyons, but now just sits there and looks around and babbles about what he sees.

I like the idea of those interlocking mats. Probably better than astroturf, which I was thinking about getting to put under a shade cover.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
We started camping with my son at 6 months. Take a stroller and a carrier (we used a Moby wrap, which is awesome). My first solo night was at 2yrs, and he did very well. Our first couple of trips were withing an hr of home. Let him get used to it and if there is a chronic tantrum or conditions go South, you're not far from home. I do remember coming home at 2:30am when temps plummeted and he was suffering from an elevation headache. Was a blessing to be close to home. Now i can take him 3hrs away and do a boys only camping night or 2. Good for the bonding and gives mommy a break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman