Expo / Daily-driver JK build (Pic-heavy)

JFarris

Wanderer
What made you go with the JKS/OME/Bilstein combo rather than a traditional all in one kit? How does it perform in all areas?

By the way as you know, SMP does awesome work. Can they duplicate your rear interior rack without taking them a vehicle?

ventura911

Adventurer
Thanks, folks. I took a lot of good ideas from around here and I'm pretty pleased with the results.

What made you go with the JKS/OME/Bilstein combo rather than a traditional all in one kit? How does it perform in all areas?

By the way as you know, SMP does awesome work. Can they duplicate your rear interior rack without taking them a vehicle?

I got my '07 in December of '06. Unfortunately, being an early adopter put me ahead of the curve when it came to JK aftermarket equipment. I originally had the Terflex budget boost, then went to the OME when I figured out where I wanted to go with the build. I would have given serious consideration to AEV, but they hadn't come out with theirs at the time. I added the ACOS to give a bit more lift, but mainly to adjust for the added weight, front-to-rear and side-to-side.

As far as performance goes, I haven't been able to get really out there to test it. As a matter of fact, I was supposed to be on the Rubicon this weekend, but plans fell through. Hope to reschedule next month and will be better able to say how everything works.

SMP has said that they will need the Jeep in the shop in order to get the rear seat mounting points fitted properly.

JFarris

Wanderer
Thanks for your response. I really like the way you set everything up. I'll be using some of your ideas for my build. Just out of curiosity what did SMP charge for the racks if you don't mind sharing.

ventura911

Adventurer
Thanks for your response. I really like the way you set everything up. I'll be using some of your ideas for my build. Just out of curiosity what did SMP charge for the racks if you don't mind sharing.

SMP gave me their current quote for the inside racks as $450 for the lower section and $900 for the upper section.

ventura911

Adventurer
AWESOME BUILD!
Is that a quick disconnect at the end of the water hose? Where did you source that from?

Thanks,

Thanks for the compliment! The female end of the QD hose came with the FrontRunner water tank. It matches the generic male QD ends you can find for garden hoses at home improvement stores. In my case, it was removed when the water heater was plumbed in.

ventura911

Adventurer
About 12-13, up to 14 on long road trips. With 4.10s, I was getting about 15.5 when it was stock. Fortunately, it's not my daily driver.

Love the looks of the tent cot as a RTT. I have heard its a very good alternative. How have you liked it so far? Do you have a picture of how the tent cot is on the rack in the stored position? Im wondering how you fold it up for transport?
Thanks

ventura911

Adventurer
Love the looks of the tent cot as a RTT. I have heard its a very good alternative. How have you liked it so far? Do you have a picture of how the tent cot is on the rack in the stored position? Im wondering how you fold it up for transport?
Thanks

I like it, though there will be a problem if bad weather hits - it's too small to use as shelter for a long day in the rain. Fortunately, there's not much chance of that in SoCal, and I can bring a small ground tent if needed.

As for traveling with it, see pics in post #8; I leave it collapsed, but fully extended. Doing so looks strange, but it allows me to keep the bedding inside the tent, rather than take up room in the Jeep.

caprob

Great job!

Very nice build! Do you have the info on your rear shelf? Thanks!

Attachments

• After Tepui install with tailgate open 500 x 375.jpg
    After Tepui install with tailgate open 500 x 375.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 184
  • Becca & I after Tepui install 600 x 450.jpg
    Becca & I after Tepui install 600 x 450.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 198

Judoka

Learning To Live
I recognize this rig! You were at the SO CAL RDVZ this year. I have been pondering that Tent-Cot setup every since. I have the RTT on a trailer, but it is not big enough for the whole family so I am thinking about using the twi Tent-Cots I have and setting them up like you have yours. Great design man!

ventura911

Adventurer
Very nice build! Do you have the info on your rear shelf? Thanks!
What would you like to know, caprob? I worked with SMP on the custom set-up, but I'm sure they'd make more.

I recognize this rig! You were at the SO CAL RDVZ this year. I have been pondering that Tent-Cot setup every since. I have the RTT on a trailer, but it is not big enough for the whole family so I am thinking about using the twi Tent-Cots I have and setting them up like you have yours. Great design man!
Thanks, Judoka.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman