Expo Hams exploring ideas

DarioCarrera

Adventurer
I have been thinking about it for a while and I would like to make something positive with this. I believe the user callsign database that is forming here is an excellent resource for a lot of different applications like EComms (Emergency Communications). I would like to hear your opinions on how (if at all possible) to put the list to a possible good use.

I have always read magazines, books, and a few ARRL and IARU publications that HAM operators in emergency operation should stick to assisting communications in an emergency or disaster and resist the temptation to become rescue personnel. Which is understandable. I can see the logic in it if you are strictly a HAM operator. However, many people in this forum are well versed in GPS, navigation, maps, topography, Cartography, aviation, Rescue, paramedic, communications, etc which in my point of view makes for a very interesting group of HAM operators with diverse capabilities. Anyone see my logic??? or Am I just seeing things???

PS - Im not asking anyone to become rescue personnel, its only an idea. there can be many ways to help. As there are also a multitude of different types and degrees of emergencies.

All ideas are welcome. What do you think?

dzzz

In the U.S. the usefulness of amateur radio emergency communications in a disaster is much less than it use to be. An individual operator might be in a remote location where emergency communication is needed. But it's hard to come up with a scenario where a group action would make a significant difference.
In an area without phones a slow internet link to send text emails/IM would be an efficient way for Aunt Ruth to tell her nephew she's O.K. Sort of the modern way that codes are used now.
Official responding organizations will likely suffer from communication overload. In the U.S. the large effort towards preparation for a "small" nuclear attack on a large U.S. city. It's beyond my imagination as to how to help in that. There are civilians who have agreed to be "federalized" in a large disaster, but those are people with specific skills.
The many first responders and medical people here would be best used in their area of expertise during a crisis.

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
The Hummer Club has a training program they call HOPE. HOPE then registers its trained personell whom have very well outfitted vehicles with local emergency org's.

something like that for HAM/EXpo equipped folks would be a great resource.

gary in ohio

Explorer
I think you will find ham's can fill multi-roles depending on the need.

I am not only a ham, but also a team lead for our CERT team, ham and SAR is also very common. Sometimes its SAR drawn to ham radio for communications, sometimes is ham drawn to SAR for the search and rescue aspect.

I have FEMA/RED cross training for damage assessment, EMA training for various task as well as being the ARES EC for the county. Many of our ARES members are part of CERT, have red cross training. ema training.

its going to depend on what your local ARES/RACES group is charted for and what your local EMA/FEMA rep will allow you to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears