ExPo Project: 1991 Land Cruiser Prado SX (LJ78)

SOFME

Observer
The way we positioned the steel Jerry Can holder, the big Pelican case was wedged in with steel on three sides. We used a couple of good quality ratchet straps to keep it secure...

Very cool. Couldn't see the ratchet straps. Thinking it was some super highspeed invisible kit.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
OK, I have to say it, and being a long-time Rover guy, I never thought I would, but... I miss the Prado.

I have been in BC for about a month, driving our Defender 110. And while it's fun to drive, a little bit faster, and much more capable on the trail than the Prado, I still miss the little billy goat that I drive around when I'm in Prescott. That little Prado just has spunk.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
... The Prado, being mini truck based is too light to be good expo material. ...

What are you on about mate??? Mini Trucks may not have the same GVW capacity of an LC, but they're easilyone of the most capable platforms in their respective size end of story. Considering my 1st Gen 4Runner is turning over 330+ thousand miles and has done things like break first tracks into the Selway river in Idaho (after making the drive out from Portland) with a full host of rafting gear, dry-boxes etc. and even a rolled up 14" BOAT/frame in the back (read: NOT light), I'd not be so quick to make such "mater of fact" statements esp. when they're that inaccurate.

Can you break a Mini-truck??? Sure, Can you break a Landcruiser??? Yep... Mini-Trucks are more then capable of being built into Expo rigs and they're a fair bit better then most anything in their class (the Montero/Pajero might be one of the only real competitors in terms of durability/strength). A lot of the parts and things that make an LC so durable are also present in the Mini-trucks. Would an HZJ 75 be better??? Maybe, they're certainly a "pinnacle" 4wd with few peers in the overland world, but this LJ, with a driver who knows what they're doing (which it has) and isn't going to hammer on it like a 17 y/o can certainly make it work.

BEAUTIFUL Truck Scott... I love it with the ARB (IMO All "Expo" Toyotas should have one, and I've proven heir worth several times in Australia where they saved my life 3 times from roo strikes) and the roof-rack etc. Really just a cool looking truck aye. I love it. I hope to one day get a chance to park my 1KZ-Te Powered 2nd Gen next to it at the Overland Expo (fingers crossed it'll happen next year).

Cheers

Dave

elcap23

US Legal Import Calender

Nice build guys. I have really enjoyed reading about the pros and cons of the diesel Prado setup.

It also got me thinking about a useful tool for quickly referencing which vehicles could be legally imported under the 25-year rule. The way I have it my mind would be a calendar of sorts with model/body style/engine choices.

I certainly don't have the Cruiser knowledge to start it, but I am sure someone out there has one already or has thought about it.

Thanks again for the build thread.

Scott Brady

Founder
Just had a nice little adventure up to CruiserFest, including a week of exploration in the backroads of Utah.

CruiserFest21.jpg

The full editorial on CruiserFest: CruiserFest 2013

Driving through Monument Valley on our way north
1240482_10152210640748275_760392237_n.jpg

Stephanie, chasing the light in Valley of the Gods
1265409_10152203917088275_635189533_o.jpg

The view from our first night camp on the south rim of the Grand Canyon
1278080_10152203943963275_103570487_o.jpg

Attachments

• CruiserFest21.jpg
    CruiserFest21.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 44

Scott Brady

Founder
We installed a "hidden" stereo, mounting a Pyle weather resistant four-channel amplifier behind the factory radio block out. There is a discrete mini plug input and a small volume dial.

Stealth. . .

545237_10152197921033275_1118542814_n.jpg

1236689_10152197921028275_232488992_n.jpg

Toyotero

Explorer
We installed a "hidden" stereo, mounting a Pyle weather resistant four-channel amplifier behind the factory radio block out. There is a discrete mini plug input and a small volume dial.

Stealth. . .

It looks clean, although somewhat oddly empty... probably because I've never seen a radio delete plate up close before actually.

What are you using for a head unit? Handheld MP3 player?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle

Members online