Expo Vehicle and an Airstream

AMBOT

Adventurer
Project back on. So it won't be the ambot doing the towing but my goal is the same, for the tow vehicle to serve as a main power generator for the airstream.

I write this post as if factual and confident, but I'm looking for input on cons of this approach to consider.

The only thing I would physically add on the airstream is as many solar panels as possible. The TV would be a 3500 series truck SRW. In the truck bed would be a custom box containing all the batteries ,solar, inverter, and charge components. I would also carry the two Yamaha 2000 generators and fuel.

The solar panels would plug in to the TV.

The box would have a 12v output that would replace the factory AS batteries using battery bank switches. The factory batteries would only be used when the TV was not present to maintain basic functionality.

The box would also have a 30 amp AC outlet to simulate shore power to the AS thereby bypassing the factory 1000w inverter. Should I want to run a single AC unit I would start both generators, otherwise all AC and DC circuits would work just as if plugged in to shore power.

If the camp site has electric, I would plug in shore power to the TV and then the TV to the AS.

While at camp the AS solar will charge the TV battery bank. While on the road the batteries are charged by the alternators.

drawbacks? Maybe driving around with a mini power plant all the time.

If the TV has to take a ride, the AS looses its big power plant, but I could leave 1 or 2 generators behind, or worst case use the factory system, seems to cover multiple scenarios.

I would have to do more plugging and unplugging and switching.

Why not put it all in the AS? More difficult installation and would need to replace most factory components, and loose my warranty and investment in those items. Adding the power plant to the TV creates redundant systems which I like.

Help me find the glaring use cases where this doesn't make sense to do please!

Our main use case for this combo is to tour the US, visiting small towns, cities and landmarks, camping mostly in national parks, ideally off-grid, for 2-5 days, before moving to a new destination.

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
One thing I notice is it is not how many panels you put on top of your airstream, it is where you put them to gain the maximum amount of sun with the least amount of shade. I see so many airstreams with huge ac units, vents, antenna, and satilite dishes, which all shade your panels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12