Express 2500 AWD Worth It?

kulte

I found an Express 2500 AWD with the YF7 upfitter package. 118K miles and I'd need to remove the wheelchair lift. Provided there is no significant rust, is $19K a good deal for this?

I'd use it as a DD and light overlanding, occasional towing.

Anything in specific I should look out for on this year and model?

Thanks!

Scotty D

There were very few of those made and my understanding is its not a real 2500
If it has the 4L60E transmission like I think it does, thats the weak link

kulte

Thanks, I can't seem to find anything indicating value, let alone any specific problems. It seems the 4L60E can go either way: replace at 120K or keep going until 300K.

When you say it isn't a real 2500, in what way?

86scotty

Cynic
How clean is it? Rust? Chevy interiors fall apart 10x faster than the competition. Passenger or cargo model?

I've had two 1500 AWD Chevys and they were find but be VERY particular about how the tranny shifts and if you can take it to a gravel road (or ice or wet pavement at least) on a test drive and see if you can get the wheels to break loose activating the AWD (the transfer case). If it bucks and does all sorts of weird stuff it needs the tranny/transfer case fluid replaced at the very least.

$19k sounds awful steep to me for any 20 year old van unless it has uncommonly low miles and/or other perks.

Scotty D

Thanks, I can't seem to find anything indicating value, let alone any specific problems. It seems the 4L60E can go either way: replace at 120K or keep going until 300K.

When you say it isn't a real 2500, in what way?
No other 2500 van has that transmission because it cant tow much of anything
Also the rear end is not the heavier duty 3/4 ton rear end
Its a 1500 with heavy duty leaf springs
There was huge demand for a 2500 awd but it was too much trouble to make a real one
They abandoned the thing after a year or so
Very few were made because they sucked

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
One year only in 2003.

There are folks how have swapped the transfer case and other items. No matter what ya do the front-end will be the light duty 1/2 ton AWD suspension. There are some upgrades but nothing spectacular.

Like anything else it all depends on how ya use it. It's not a Rubicon or big Colorado trail rig however Forrest roads and other light duty trails you will be Ok. Not much in the way of lifts other than blocks in the rear and cranking the bars upfront.

Price wise go find another one in equal or better condition. Hard to do. $20K will buy you a 3/4 ton or 1 ton real 4WD van with 200K+ miles and not in very good condition. Based upon that $19K for this van with 116K miles in condition that matches the miles is not unreasonable IF you want it!

fastevo

No other 2500 van has that transmission because it cant tow much of anything
Also the rear end is not the heavier duty 3/4 ton rear end
Its a 1500 with heavy duty leaf springs
There was huge demand for a 2500 awd but it was too much trouble to make a real one
They abandoned the thing after a year or so
Very few were made because they sucked
I know this is an old thread, however, only replying to fix misinformation in this post: The 2003 Express AWD 2500 vans did receive the standard 2500, Dana “Super“ 60 rear axle as well as the standard 2500 leaf spring pack.

Scotty D

I know this is an old thread, however, only replying to fix misinformation in this post: The 2003 Express AWD 2500 vans did receive the standard 2500, Dana “Super“ 60 rear axle as well as the standard 2500 leaf spring pack.
Did they all get that? I am pretty sure that the came with six bolt rims because they could not upgrade the front to 3/4 ton components

cmoist

They came with 6 bolt rims, yes. They also came with the 12 bolt dana 60 rear axle and 2500 rear springs. The front is all 1500, as best I can tell. Happy to share any pics needed. I just replaced most of the front end on my 2003 2500 AWD.

fastevo

Did they all get that? I am pretty sure that the came with six bolt rims because they could not upgrade the front to 3/4 ton components
The 3, 2003 2500 AWD vans I have seen (I own 1 of them) have all had the Dana 60, and the 5 leaf, 2500 spring packs, and yes 6 lug wheels.

fastevo

They came with 6 bolt rims, yes. They also came with the 12 bolt dana 60 rear axle and 2500 rear springs. The front is all 1500, as best I can tell. Happy to share any pics needed. I just replaced most of the front end on my 2003 2500 AWD.
cmoist, there is an AWD Express van ”sticky” thread on this forum, I am pretty technologically challenged, would be great if you would post pictures there, to lay this “debate” to rest. Thanks, Steve

cmoist

cmoist, there is an AWD Express van ”sticky” thread on this forum, I am pretty technologically challenged, would be great if you would post pictures there, to lay this “debate” to rest. Thanks, Steve
I know the one. Will do!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears