Expresscamaras.com

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I rarely complain about retailers or suppliers...but these guys just pissed me off.

Expresscamaras.com has just given me the most trouble I have ever had when ordering anything on-line.

After placing an internet order, they want you to confirm via phone (no problem there).

While confirming, they try to sell you a bunch of other "stuff" (filter, hood, etc). No real problem...annoying, but everyone does it.

Next step is to tell you they can "upgrade" your order to this new and great product....made by someone else, for only a couple hundred dollars more than the original (in this case, from a $400 canon lens to a $600 sigma lens). Before letting you answer, they start changing the order, and try to move on before you question it. When you call them on it, the reply is "this is so much better of a deal, for only $200 more, OK". At which time they try to move on before you can even consider what they are saying. Sales guy speaks very fast, hard to understand, doesn't offer any real information. Only changes your order unless you object (as opposed to changing your order when you agree)

After finally getting the point across that you want what you ordered, and nothing more...they tack on shipping (which their website is advertizing as free), and insurance. The shipping is easy to deal with and fix...the insurance is BS. They won't ship unless you pay for their insurance, in this case, $50.

In the end, I cancelled my order, and will spend my money somewhere else. If you use them, be prepared...thats all I'm gonna say.

Scott Brady

Founder
I had that exact same experience with a NY camera seller.

Go to Tempe Camera in Phoenix. They are awesome to deal with and not that much more $$$.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I'd pretty much only deal with Adorama or B&H in NY. You don't get that treatment as much, and they are reputable.

hope it works out for you ...

Last edited:

Darren

Adventurer
I heard of this outfit for the first time yesterday elsewhere after someone posted a price for a camera that site listed. In the end, if prices are not in line with B&H, Adorama, Hunts, KEH, or the like, you absolutely need to rule them out right away. There is plenty of information online, and a few seconds on Google or ResellerRatings.com would've served you well. If you're trying to do business with a shop who makes it their business to screw people, and who are very successful at it (rating of 0.41/10!), you're not researching, and no one can help you.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Darren said:
ResellerRatings.com

Nice site. Wasn't aware of it....it would have saved me 15 minutes of being pissed off.

Jeff, funny you mention Adorama...while getting their line of BS on this incredible new Sigma lens (which they claim sells for $1094) ...I googled the lens and found it at Adorama for $399 (the same price as they listed for the Canon).

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Yea, but they don't have what I want (Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM). Adorama is out of stock....Sunset won't call me back....Tempe wants $540 for it....$140 more than the inna-net retailers (plus tax).

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
expeditionswest said:
You should consider the 50mm 1.4 EF, as with your 1.6 factor, it makes a kicking portrait lens (80mm equiv.).

The advantage of the 100mm is the Macro ability...which is the primary purpose. Being a pretty good portrait lens is a bonus.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Not really. I have always had an interest in macro. It is a capability I currently do not have but want.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Actually, their price is decent. The only places I have seen it cheaper either do not have them in stock, or they are the gray market products....

How well do you like it?

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
goodtimes said:
Nice site. Wasn't aware of it....it would have saved me 15 minutes of being pissed off.

I mentioned ResellerRatings.com in this thread. Guess you didn't bookmark it then.

goodtimes said:
Yea, but they don't have what I want (Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM). Adorama is out of stock....Sunset won't call me back....Tempe wants $540 for it....$140 more than the inna-net retailers (plus tax).

You should stick with your old philosophy in this post. Though, I have to admit I've had good luck with B&H, Beach Camera, and Adorama for purchases in the past.

Good luck amigo.:lurk:

Robthebrit

Explorer
goodtimes said:
Actually, their price is decent. The only places I have seen it cheaper either do not have them in stock, or they are the gray market products....

How well do you like it?

I did find it cheaper online but not from anybody who I would trust. In the end I got it from Amazon for a little piece of mind. Overall, its a fantastic lens, I havn't used it much for Macro work but its razor sharp when used for portraits. The optical quality is as good as the L's that I have.

I have a 5D so 100mm is nice on the full size sensor, with a 1.6x factor you are looking at 160mm which is a little long for portraits but may help with macro depending on what you are doing. For portraits the 50mm 1.4 may be better on your camera but I am not a big fan of the 50mm 1.6, its optically a great lens for the price but when operating under f2.8 the camera has a hell of a time focusing, fortunately its fulltime manual override.

The focus on the 100mm is pretty fast and dead silent. If you don't need the macro you can flick a switch which limits the near focusing distance and makes the focus faster. This lens also has full time manual override. f32 is the upper end of the aperture if you want to see all the dust on your sensor instead of some of it.

Let me go and dig out some pictures..

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan