Extended Bumpstops?

GaryMc

Explorer
I've got 2.75" of lift on the front of my Taco and about 3.5 in the rear, is it time for extended bumpstops? Why or why not?

Thanks for your time- Gary

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
If you have oversized tires, I say maybe yes.

I found that my truck rubs a little during compression at speed. It was not really hurting anything, but becomes annoying after a few days.

I first installed polyurethane stops. They were a little shorter, but denser. They may have worked. I have a friend testing them now.

I picked up some used bump stops. I picked up a whole bag of various stops that I thought might work. They are cheap at the salvage yards. No one ever wants those.

stops.jpg

Left to right: GM PART # 15712438 $11.08 each (new). These are off of the rear of late '90s and early 2000 Chevrolet fullsize pickups.
Next is the stock bump stop.
Last is the Energy suspension Part # 9.9101G $11.99 pair.

The first set has a hole in the center.

hole.jpg

This would have them act much like a rubber spring. The front of the fullsize uses the same design , but the mounting cup is welded to the chassis. That is why I chose the rear stops. They are a direct bolt in installation. I know the fullsize ride on the stops all the time. There is no clearance on the a-arm.

fullsize.jpg

A little increase in spring rate would be nice since I have torsion bars and no real options there. That is my thinking right now anyway. This might just be the answer. They are soft. Not as soft as stock, but flexy. It works for the fullsize, why not ours? This would be a gradual increase in rate. As they compress they exert resistance. Not as harsh hopefully.

I added a comparison shot of the polyurethane bump stop mounted.

es.jpg

You can see that even with the 1/8" thick washer to space it down a little there is quite a space. I don't think that is bad. I do have some reservations about them though. Harder may deliver more of the forces elsewhere. They might tend to stress other bushings? Steve mentioned that he ruined a set by over torquing. What if I pound them? They might crack and break out just the same?
Now that things are being upgraded for the front, what about the rear? I only had the rear rub a couple times, but heck what if I want to really jump this thing? Time to look at that too.

rear%7E0.jpg

On the left: GM PART # 15023225 $21.76 each (new). These are off the back of a late '90s Chevrolet Tahoe. They are Polyurethane and solid. No hole through these. As you can see they are quite a bit longer than the stock ones. The rear has been raised more than the front though, so this may be a better match.
As you can see they are a different design. They can be slid into the channel for the stock stops and with a little work, can be tightened in place from above.

newrear.jpg

I jacked one wheel up as far as my jack would and it did not touch. the tire had a couple more inches to rise yet and the stop had over an inch. These too are flexy. not as much as the hollow fronts, but still should offer some cushion.
I have not pounded this fully loaded yet, but I have bounced it pretty good offroad with the daily driver loads. They work great.

jdholder

Explorer
Have you thought about using Timbren springs for bumpstops? I think that is what I am going to do, instead of spending $500 an axle on air bumps.

monele

Adventurer
Went with the Timbrens on my LJ b/c the junk yard stuff that would fit was just to stiff (The bumps from a tahoe are about 1/2 as compliant as my timbren units) but the timbrens were $170. On a Taco the 1/2 ton units seem like they would work really well and they can't be beat for the junk yard price of $10=15 a piece.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
GaryMc said:
I've got 2.75" of lift on the front of my Taco and about 3.5 in the rear, is it time for extended bumpstops? Why or why not?

Thanks for your time- Gary

If you are rubbing fenders or other body parts when you compress, then yes. But if you have no rubbing issues, then there is no reason to make a change.

Have you extended your rear brake lines? 3.5" might be pushing it for the OEM lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan