Extra fuel questions: RotoPax OK to store flat? Other fuel ideas?

dbreid

Adventurer
Small world, man! I don't do much VW stuff any more, even though I still have roughly a zillion dollars worth of rare parts in bubble wrap in crates.... :( I work too much, and when I am not working, I try my best to be out in the world in a 4wd these days. It is funny that so many of us car fools wind up in the same places, though, isn;t it?

Glad the Rotopax are working out for you. I use two laying flat on top of the 40" spare on the OffRoad truck, and I wish I had made the swingout on the Suburban fit Rotopax instead of Plastic Jerry Cans. sigh.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So I think I'm sold on the RotoPax but I am still a little confused about carrying options.

First off, no photos yet (maybe this weekend) but what I will have is a Yakima rack on the stock tracks of my 4runner (using Yakima "Landing Pads") and a simple roof basket (the Yakima "Basket Case") rather than the more expensive "Load Warrior."

Looks like all RotoPax cans use a central spindle that goes through the center of the can and tightens down.

What I need to know is this: Which pieces do I use to attach the spindle to the basket? I would probably be looking at either 2 x 3 gallon tanks or 2 x 2 gallon tanks.

Also, dumb question maybe but do Rotopax cans include the fuel spout or do I have to get that separately?

Rexsname

Explorer
They DO come with a nozzle but......what a pain in the butt it is! I guess it is a CARB requirement to have nozzles leak gas all over the user but do yourself a favor and get a super-siphon.

REX

schmugboy

Observer
Daystar just came out with a new option, if your spare mounts to the back like a wrangler. I would like to get the rotopax, just from all of the research they seem like the best, and hopefully when I am aloud to buy another motorcycle I can use it for that, too. Best options for rotopax seem to be without buying a new bumper (OrFab makes one that works) is to mount on top in a cargo box, on the spare with a ratchet strap or harness, or buy the universal mounting plate and just start drilling into your 4x4. Good luck and take pics of whatever you get and mounting option to help the rest.

DD

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Small world, man! I don't do much VW stuff any more, even though I still have roughly a zillion dollars worth of rare parts in bubble wrap in crates.... :( I work too much, and when I am not working, I try my best to be out in the world in a 4wd these days. It is funny that so many of us car fools wind up in the same places, though, isn;t it?

Glad the Rotopax are working out for you. I use two laying flat on top of the 40" spare on the OffRoad truck, and I wish I had made the swingout on the Suburban fit Rotopax instead of Plastic Jerry Cans. sigh.

Oh yeah, the car worlds are still small; watercooled VW's to overlanding. :)
PM sent!

Last edited:

dstock

Explorer
Does anyone know if it is possible to mount the 4 gal Rotopax flat across two Yakima bars with no rack? Obviously the bars would have to be at the right spacing for the mounts but wondering if they are sturdy enough to not bend in the middle. I have a cargo box I use and so I can't run a full width rack.

TIA

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Does anyone know if it is possible to mount the 4 gal Rotopax flat across two Yakima bars with no rack? Obviously the bars would have to be at the right spacing for the mounts but wondering if they are sturdy enough to not bend in the middle. I have a cargo box I use and so I can't run a full width rack.

TIA

The big question is what load are your Yakima bars rated for and how much are you already carrying? Anywhere you can mount two of these with the correct spacing, you can mount a 4gal Rotopax can...
http://www.rotopax.com/Pack-Mount.html
LOXPackMount.jpg

I'm guessing you could drill a flat crossbar or use a u-bolt for round bars. In regards to weight, given Rotopax's own published specs of approx 11lbs (1.5lbs per mount and 8lbs per 4gal can) and 25lbs of gasoline (approx 6.25lbs per gal) I'd say your bars are probably up to carrying the extra +/-36lbs of a setup like that depending on how heavily loaded they already are...

Last edited:

dstock

Explorer
The big question is what load are your Yakima bars rated for and how much are you already carrying? Anywhere you can mount two of these with the correct spacing, you can mount a 4gal Rotopax can...
http://www.rotopax.com/Pack-Mount.html
LOXPackMount.jpg

I'm guessing you could drill a flat crossbar or use a u-bolt for round bars. In regards to weight, given Rotopax's own published specs of approx 11lbs (1.5lbs per mount and 8lbs per 4gal can) and 25lbs of gasoline (approx 6.25lbs per gal) I'd say your bars are probably up to carrying the extra +/-36lbs of a setup like that depending on how heavily loaded they already are...

I usually throw the light stuff in the cargo box so load capacity should not be an issue. I agree that fabbing up a cross bar with mounts is probably the best way to go, would be easier to put on and off the bars as well and give the rotopax a little more support underneath. Thanks for the info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman