F150 - 2.7L vs 3.5L vs 5.0L

skrypj

I missed that there was a separate chart for the Heavy Duty Payload package trucks on the 2012 spec sheet that I was looking at. In 2012, all HDPP trucks had an 8200 lb GVWR regardless of cab/bed configuration. The 2020 spec sheet lists a max. GVWR of 7850 lbs for a HDPP truck, and the 7850 lb GVWR 2020 has 300 lbs higher payload capacity than the 8200 lb GVWR 2012 (based on a CC 6.5' 4x4). Comparing non HDPP trucks, a 2012 CC 5.5' 5.0 4x4 had a GVWR of 7350 lbs and payload of 1830 lbs, while a 2020 CC 5.5' 5.0 4x4 has a GVWR of 7000 lbs and payload capacity of 2080 lbs. Looks like Ford took the 6-700 lb weight savings and pretty well evenly split it by reducing GVWRs while still increasing max. payloads. 2020 3.5TT Max Tow package truck have a max. GCWR of 18,400 lbs.

2015+ 3.5L trucks have approximately the same payload as a 11-14 3.5L Max Tow truck. My 2014 Lariat Max tow is +/- 50 lbs of any 2015+ Lariat I have looked at with the same options. Ford didnt increase the GVWR with the 2015+ Max-Tow trucks over the standard trucks so they are no longer all that important.

In 2018, the Max-tow trucks did get increased RAWR to support the higher tow ratings that came that year.

Since the 5.0 was not available with max-tow for the 11-14 years, it would always be at a disadvantage to a 2015+ truck.

D45

Explorer
Internet says the 2.7L can be optioned in the heavy package (tow or payload?) with a 35 gallon tank?

jbaucom

Internet says the 2.7L can be optioned in the heavy package (tow or payload?) with a 35 gallon tank?
You get the 9.75" axle with the 2.7PP and it brings the GVW and payload parity with the standard configuration on the 3.5TT and 5.0 trucks. The 2.7PP is a nice package, but by the time you opt for the 2.7 and then pay the option package price for the payload package, you're right inline pricewise with much more common 3.5TT and 5.0 trucks that have similar payload and towing abilities. If you're ordering a new vehicle, then getting a 2.7PP is feasible, but if you want to buy from dealer stock, good luck. I've never seen a 2.7PP on lots around here. All of the 2.7 trucks on local lots (pre-pandemic shortage) are high value packages, that give you a lot of features for the money, but sacrifice capability to do so.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Interesting thing happened yesterday. We had to take off the tailgate for the truck camper and therefore lost the backup camera. Our dealer arranged for an aftermarket camera to be installed and it turns out that the 2022 model is not compatible with ANY aftermarket camera as the data transfer is done via fiberoptic cables. This means, we now ordered a original Ford tailgate camera plus harness. If you are doing the same, please be aware of that detail.

Chorky

Observer
Interesting thing happened yesterday. We had to take off the tailgate for the truck camper and therefore lost the backup camera. Our dealer arranged for an aftermarket camera to be installed and it turns out that the 2022 model is not compatible with ANY aftermarket camera as the data transfer is done via fiberoptic cables. This means, we now ordered a original Ford tailgate camera plus harness. If you are doing the same, please be aware of that detail.
Wow fiber - interesting design choice. It will be interesting to see how longevity is with that. What did the harness and camera run you?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Wow fiber - interesting design choice. It will be interesting to see how longevity is with that. What did the harness and camera run you?

No idea what this will cost. We paid the dealer a fixed price when we bought the truck. Looks like they didn't realize it's not that easy with the 2022 and hopefully they are picking up the tap.

Grassland

You get the 9.75" axle with the 2.7PP and it brings the GVW and payload parity with the standard configuration on the 3.5TT and 5.0 trucks. The 2.7PP is a nice package, but by the time you opt for the 2.7 and then pay the option package price for the payload package, you're right inline pricewise with much more common 3.5TT and 5.0 trucks that have similar payload and towing abilities. If you're ordering a new vehicle, then getting a 2.7PP is feasible, but if you want to buy from dealer stock, good luck. I've never seen a 2.7PP on lots around here. All of the 2.7 trucks on local lots (pre-pandemic shortage) are high value packages, that give you a lot of features for the money, but sacrifice capability to do so.

Surprisingly half the supercab trucks I've seen locally (an entire dozen) that are 2.7 have the PP.
The tow package and e locker are included in the package so it's actually a deal for me. $2200 for the 2.7, tow package, e locker. It's a good deal here.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Surprisingly half the supercab trucks I've seen locally (an entire dozen) that are 2.7 have the PP.
The tow package and e locker are included in the package so it's actually a deal for me. $2200 for the 2.7, tow package, e locker. It's a good deal here.
Interesting

D45

Explorer
Used, nicely equipped, lower mileage 2.7L trucks are more easily found around me

In addition, the pricing is also substantially cheaper

2.7L - 165 cid
325 HP @ 5,000
400 TQ @ 2,750

3.5L - 213 cid
375 HP @ 5,000
470 TQ @ 2,500

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears