F150 bed rack / topper options?

dookie

Observer
Relative newb to the overland scene here...had a NM Montero that I posted about some years ago, but I'm here with a new one today. I did some searching, but my list is awfully specific and nothing hit it all. Thanks for any/all solid advice, as I'm a bit pressed for time to get this solved.

Vehicle is an F150 crew cab short bed. I already have an OEM soft tonneau (rebranded Truxedo Truxport), which in a perfect world stays right where it is. My only goal at the moment is to be able to carry canoe / awning / recovery gear, but a soft topper is probably in the cards at some point. Looking for recs on rack and topper that are high-quality and play well together. Budget is whatever, value over bling please.
  • Canoe will extend over the cab, so rack needs to be that high, ideally adjustable.
  • Awning is likely the Darsche Eclipse v2 (other recs welcome, prefer self-supporting).
  • Don't ever see an RTT, so if there's a lighter-duty (ie: cheaper) rack option, that's a plus.
  • Any advantage to doing rack/topper together? Are there known-great product combos?
  • Is it even possible to have tonneau/soft-top/rack concurrently? I know the latter 2 are possible. Guess I could lose the tonneau if the topper stayed on...are they water-tight when collapsed?
One more wrinkle. I bought the truck used, and it came with an Adarac AL Pro rack (this one). It's butt-ugly and I think I'd rather sell it off than use it. Looking at their website, they do offer an overland kit for it. Will it meet my needs, and if so, am I stupid to not save the cash and use it?

What else am I not considering?

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
@dookie I'm a fan of leitner designs rack. I got one, I've had it for 5+ years. The newer ones have the ability to be used alongside a tonneau cover (but only one brand, I cannot recall of the top of my head).

It checks off most of the wickets you have above. It's rails are above the level of the cab. You can easily mount just about any awning you'd like. I didn't have a RTT on it and it's just fine without one. The newer v2 can be used with a tonneau cover.

My only comment, which is more a reflection of my changing needs/wants than of the rack itself, is that had I known the direction I'd end up at I would have went with a GFC style topper to begin with.

Snapchat-762088739.jpg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Relative newb to the overland scene here...had a NM Montero that I posted about some years ago, but I'm here with a new one today. I did some searching, but my list is awfully specific and nothing hit it all. Thanks for any/all solid advice, as I'm a bit pressed for time to get this solved.

Vehicle is an F150 crew cab short bed. I already have an OEM soft tonneau (rebranded Truxedo Truxport), which in a perfect world stays right where it is. My only goal at the moment is to be able to carry canoe / awning / recovery gear, but a soft topper is probably in the cards at some point. Looking for recs on rack and topper that are high-quality and play well together. Budget is whatever, value over bling please.
  • Canoe will extend over the cab, so rack needs to be that high, ideally adjustable.
  • Awning is likely the Darsche Eclipse v2 (other recs welcome, prefer self-supporting).
  • Don't ever see an RTT, so if there's a lighter-duty (ie: cheaper) rack option, that's a plus.
  • Any advantage to doing rack/topper together? Are there known-great product combos?
  • Is it even possible to have tonneau/soft-top/rack concurrently? I know the latter 2 are possible. Guess I could lose the tonneau if the topper stayed on...are they water-tight when collapsed?
One more wrinkle. I bought the truck used, and it came with an Adarac AL Pro rack (this one). It's butt-ugly and I think I'd rather sell it off than use it. Looking at their website, they do offer an overland kit for it. Will it meet my needs, and if so, am I stupid to not save the cash and use it?

What else am I not considering?
Funny enough, I keep looking at Adarac to haul Kayaks as it one of the very few I've found that is compatible with a tonneau cover. I like you want to leave my tonneau cover on. (Factory fold hard 4 fold - 6.5" box) Most racks use C-Clamps and clamp to the bed rails meaning they won't work with a tonneau. Some good reading here on the subject:

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I have also been looking at getting a leitner. They're so nice. My brother has the 2nd version and it's very high quality.

Another one to look at is Xtrusion Overland.

I currently use a Yakima, the new one is called the Yakima Overhaul (I think) adjustable up/down and forward/back. What I like about it is I can easily take it on and off when I want. Fits some covers

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I have the Leitner forged with the ReTrax (manual) tonneau, and am quite pleased with it! IIRC the Leitner rack is like 81#.
I had the Decked drawers on my last truck and decided against them this go around. They are nice for storage but took up too much height for my uses. The gear pods are more than adequate…

dookie

Observer
So, this is WAY more puzzle than I have time to solve before the trip. The Adarac is going on this time, but will be replaced this fall...likely with XTrusion.

Also, passing on the Darsche awning. OVS is identical and cheaper, so maybe that. But I'm waiting on a price from a local supplier for a Quick Pitch, and I've discovered Taruca as well. Hmmm...

ThundahBeagle

Well, you said value over bling, so…

Just get a contractor’s aluminum topper and ladder rack. For 1/2 the price.

View attachment 789582

I have a GMC Sierra. Leer 180 hard topper, rises 4 inches from cab height. On top of that, Cap Rac by Trac Rac (now owned by Thule) bolted through with marine grade sealant. Works like a charm and holds TWO kayaks and everything you can fit in the bed of a full size truck.

20210524_123909.jpg

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

If it has to be a soft topper, there are tubular contractor grade racks with flat feet set at 90 degrees. Put that onto your empty truck bed, then the soft top sits on top of those flat feet. You could do the same with a hard top. These tubular frames bow out enough to fit around the outside of any topper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman