F150 FX4 Build, decked drawers, slide, and ARE topper / camper shell. Thinking about a roof tent.

mutineer

This one is gonna be one of those “bolt on” builds that takes place over a long time because it has to happen out of retained earnings, and it’s happening to a vehicle that takes me to work everyday so it’s gotta work well for what the truck will really be doing 49.5 weeks of the year.

Searched high and low for an 3.5 ecoboost F150 with a 6.5 bed for dirt bikes/track bikes.
Found 2012 and jumped
Within days of buying it real life needs got in the way and I have to use it work stuff including some semi regular deliveries for large part of the winter, so a shell became necessary.

So I decided to lean into it and do A fuller prep on the bed. The shell and slide are more for work purposes, the racks so I can still use it for paddles boards and a rocket box for personal gear.

Full set up is the decked drawers, and a cardinal glide add slide, to go under ARE Z Series camper shell, with Yakima racks and bars.

This turned out to be a ridiculously expensive endeavor, over five stacks all installed, but so far it is a very slick system, and the shop threw in a used shell for another company truck for free, so it worked out pretty fair in the grand scheme

The fit and finish on the ARE topper are first-rate, even though I didnt want to get it in the first place I’m pretty happy with the way it looks ( and whether we admit it or not looks matter today to damn near all of us ).

The drawer system gives awaya few cubic feet On paper, but the true usability of the space increases in your bed so much Siri is tha find paper, but the true usability of the space increases in your bed so much Meyer Lawson volume really represents a significant net gain in functionality. Decked makes toolboxes custom-made to fit in the drawers which I plan on adding. Decked makes tool boxes custom-made to fit in the drawers which I plan on adding to the set up.

When you have even a marginally loaded bed a bed slide makes life exponentially easier what it comes to getting stuff out of the back. The Z series Shell has flush mounted windows not fully opened go for a full-size bed I would consider the slide a necessity, but you have to keep in mind I’m an old guy I suppose.

The catch new is my next three new (to me at least, I don’t buy new trucks) will have to be 6.5 foot bed, black F150’s because this setup is following me to the next few trucks.

This truck will tow a trailer to racetracks and for camping at improved sites, but it seems like a pretty good platform to mount a rooftop tent. The drawers and the slide reduce room under the shell too much to use it for anything but maybe a nap on a thermarest.

It’ll take a while for the budget to recover enough that I can get one anyway. Not sure what the dynamic load capability of the shell is, but I have seen some video of a set of Yakima roofracks on the cab and a CVT on the cab, which is probably my plan.

This city park near my house,is about the closest thing this truck will come too all winter for “off piste” work so I think this set of pics is pretty damn funny.

Sorta like taking a picture of my jeep in a mall Parking lot.

Once I convince my 5’2” wife it’s a good plan the running board are going the way of the dodo

As it sits the truck looks a little too ATF for my taste so I’m gonna have to do something to break up the undercover agent look of the truck. Maybe a big smiley face sticker for the door.

246E090C-73B4-43EE-BC9F-81D25889F702.jpeg29C35BD6-4144-4160-BB44-71ADC4BD0D4E.jpeg37F8BBA0-EB3E-4353-97C0-AFEB559DCC7D.jpeg

Last edited:

mutineer

The too stylish 20 inch wheels need to go in favor of some better tires on a set of 18’s but I live in the Midwest so there is no rush, and I had the Hankook AT’s on my old truck and they were never the limiting factor and they ride/tow ok on the highway without being obnoxiously loud.

A one or two inch lift will follow that, with improved shocks.
Mechanically it is staying stock except for a brake and shock upgrade after a minor lift.
The FX4 comes with rear lockers from the factory, I’m not headed for the Rubicon trail so I should be cool with that for the foreseeable future

Last edited:

BIGchad1

Keep us posted on your build. I am in the process of finding either a new or slightly used F-150 6.5' bed. I want to do 4" lift, rims and tires, bed cap with rollout drawers, roof rack on cap. I want this fully rigged for hunting,fishing,atving and camping.

old .45

Observer
Nice truck....... I have a 2015 FX4... if I may offer a couple of mods that will serve you on your adventures. Take off the running boards.. they probably will get damaged on your trips. raise your rear diff. breather to the left taillight area, a simple , cheap fix. Remove the lower air dam in front it is a deterrent to your approach angle, and this is the last one, check out RCI in Colorado they make complete skids for the 150 to armor up your belly. Oh! almost forgot! rear dif. half cage. protection when you have to take a better line and back into what you cleared but then could go no further (It saved my rear end several times,ha!) this from a company called "Purple Crainum" Good luck with your build, your truck may surprise you it can go places you might not think it could in it's mostly stock condition... Good AT tires will help also(y):giggle:

Explorerinil

Observer
How do you like the decked system? I love mine, but with the topper sometimes it’s a royal pain if your hauling something large.

mutineer

So far I really dig it, but with the slide on top of it I on,y have about 24 inches of room to roof and 18 to top of entrance with the lip for the window frame. Still the space I am using is waaay more functional.

Original intent for the 6.5 ft bed was dirt bikes, but I couldnt fit a PW50 in there now.

Came across a before pic with just the tonneau

7A4CF8CB-F014-476B-ACB0-A12D242C4EB7.jpeg

Last edited:

Grassland

Whats the payload on that truck? It doesn't look like the HDPP based on the wheels. Your drawers are about 240#, the topper close to the same. Not sure what your slide weighs, but it all adds up.

I doubt that cap will support an RTT and people in it. The ARE toppers with 400+ # load ratings have a steel framework that distributes the load to the box.

I can second the RCI skid plates. Lightweight and saved my transmission once already. The decked drawers are ok. Hopefully the newest version has a plastic that handles cold weather better. Mine have some damage.

mutineer

I am thinking RTT on the cab instead of the sheep if the shell won’t bear the load That step is about a year away. Since that portion of the budget will be directed at track time next summer.

What sort of damage did you decked drawers take. I’ll be using it for some work,related stuff in the dead of winter on a regular basis this year so that is disheartening to hear, I’m hoping I don’t have to test the warranty

Grassland

I am thinking RTT on the cab instead of the sheep if the shell won’t bear the load That step is about a year away. Since that portion of the budget will be directed at track time next summer.

What sort of damage did you decked drawers take. I’ll be using it for some work,related stuff in the dead of winter on a regular basis this year so that is disheartening to hear, I’m hoping I don’t have to test the warranty

Ive contacted Decked. I am waiting for the upgraded version before i make a warranty claim.
Basically where the steel handle latches to keep drawer closed, the latches slam into the plastic of the drawer with spring force when u let go of handle. Its cracked and chipped the plastic of the drawer. Warranty said new drawers is solution. But the new material or design hasn't be described to me, so not sure what is changed. Either a new compound or maybe a reenforcing plate?
So far the top is fine, other than being super slippery, which has pros and cons. I don't have pics on my computer but will try to load some later.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I am thinking RTT on the cab instead of the sheep if the shell won’t bear the load...

Welcome to the forum! (y)

I have pretty much the same setup as you do, except my truck is a 2004 F250 4x4 in all white.

HPIM1386.JPG

I also have the Decked Drawer System installed.

IMG_0030 - resized.JPG

And, I have Yakima Racks on an A.R.E. camper shell as well. The A.R.E. shells are extremely well made and solid as a rock.

As far as weight load goes for the RTT, the shell is not what I would worry about, it's the rack system. The racks have a Dynamic and a Static load rating. These two web pages explain it pretty well.

https://yakimasupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000173471-CrossBar-Weight-Limits

https://yakimasupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002660548-Weight-Limit-Greater-than-165lbs

If it were me, I would use four sets of racks under the RTT, especially if you are planning on two people sleeping up there. Also, you will be loading the system unevenly if you enter and exit from the sides, causing the load to be concentrated on one tower or riser instead of two for each bar. I've probably had six sets of Yakima racks on various 4 x 4 vehicles and have never had one fail yet, but then I wasn't using them under a RTT either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle