f450 and sme questions

zimm

Expedition Leader
im f450 shopping, as a double duty company hauler flatbed, and camper host. its going to be idle for decent stretches. i have a few questions...

first off, doing the math, the 5 year finance charges on the diesel option work out 147 bucks a month... thats a bit steep for anything other than a delivery truck that needs a low rpm 600ft pounds and 4.88 gears on a daily basis. using 30% better mileage, but 10% greater cost as a basis.... that works out to driving 2450 miles a month to break even.

the other options are a v10/5speed with around 350hp/450ftp or a v8/6speed thats 400hp/400ftp. the 6 speed has a tq con that can lockup at 900rpm and engine braking capability with a PTO. im leaning towards the v8 option. anyone with any experience with any of these combos please chime in.

second, what is the track of the super singles? same as the front? im assuming narrower than the drw. what is the cost of the 335/80 r20 wheel tire packages?

and lastly, f450 lift options. 335/80 r20 will require one, and im curious as to what solutions there are floating about.

so the budget is...

truck 36,000 f450/xl/gas/
flat bed 5000
super singles (4000 im guessing)
lift (?????? ill give it 4000)
north star camper (22,000)
other **** (10,000)

total: 81,000

thats XL trim, and quite frankly... thats all i want. wash out, the seats are comfortable, power windows, air, am/fm cruise. for the same mony i could buy a new lx570 but it wouldnt be nearly as functional.

discuss.

thanks.

Liventre

Observer
Super singles 6.jpgSuper singles 7.jpg

Why does a flatbed cost 5 k?

tires and wheels $900 each rickson steel wheels (wait 12 weeks) with reversible offset total outside of tire to outside of tire was 92.5"

No lift is necessary with the 335 80 r 20 tires with PLENTY of cutting. I cut the stock fenders and reglued the plastic with a harbor freight plastic welder for $60.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Zimm-
Skip the lift notion on a 450- expensive, and not needed- cut as stated above- plenty of flair options. If you want lift, go 350 maxxed out.
Go alum bed- see pics of my PW with the Ute bed- not that expensive, and saves tons of GVW for something that matters.
The new Ford diesel is awesome, but at a price. I put 35k on my '11 and loved it, but maintenance cost are higher, and don't forget DEF these days. In all honesty, probably not worth the $$, but 400 hp and 800 ft lb is tough to beat- and DO NOT FORGET the rear locker option box.
Get the right wheelbase and you can build a flatbed that will tote the G ;-)

zimm

Expedition Leader
Zimm-
Skip the lift notion on a 450- expensive, and not needed- cut as stated above- plenty of flair options. If you want lift, go 350 maxxed out.
Go alum bed- see pics of my PW with the Ute bed- not that expensive, and saves tons of GVW for something that matters.
The new Ford diesel is awesome, but at a price. I put 35k on my '11 and loved it, but maintenance cost are higher, and don't forget DEF these days. In all honesty, probably not worth the $$, but 400 hp and 800 ft lb is tough to beat- and DO NOT FORGET the rear locker option box.
Get the right wheelbase and you can build a flatbed that will tote the G ;-)

the 400 is a fleet truck and i think it gets the 300/600 version of the diesel. what is DEF?

never thought of car toteing... hmmm... thats wayyyyy to long a bed.

any links to the flairs? in new to the concept and just started budgeting.

haven

Expedition Leader
DEF costs $4-$6 a gallon, and can be found at many auto supply stores and truck stops. The F450 has a DEF tank that holds 5 gallons. You'll have to refill every 5000 miles or so. (I've seen numbers ranging from 4500 to 7500 miles before refilling with DEF, mostly based on how hard the truck is working.) There's a warning light that shows on the dash when it's time to fill up with DEF.

zimm

Expedition Leader
oh. the diesel pee pee... i dont know why, but i thought that system was only on smaller rigs, not commercial vehicles.

Carlyle

Explorer
Hi Zimm, pm if you need any more help as I just went through this. DEF is mandatory on all vehicle over one ton and I believe it started a few years ago. Thus I have a DEF tank. It still beats the EGR system I had on my "04 Ford.

delithic

Observer
If you go with the 20" super singles that will require lifting the truck and I am not sure about whether or not you have to replace the hubs or axles for proper spacing or not (probably depends on the wheel). Another option that I looked into is to use the steel wheels from 1st attack. They make a steel wheel that are direct bolt on replacements and can run Mickey Thompson Load Range E tires. I think its around $4000 - $4500 for the rims and tires. I can't remember what the load rating was on them, but I am thinking it brings your load haul weight capacity down slightly. This may not be ideal for your situation, but wanted to let you know about it anyway.

zimm

Expedition Leader
If you go with the 20" super singles that will require lifting the truck and I am not sure about whether or not you have to replace the hubs or axles for proper spacing or not (probably depends on the wheel). Another option that I looked into is to use the steel wheels from 1st attack. They make a steel wheel that are direct bolt on replacements and can run Mickey Thompson Load Range E tires. I think its around $4000 - $4500 for the rims and tires. I can't remember what the load rating was on them, but I am thinking it brings your load haul weight capacity down slightly. This may not be ideal for your situation, but wanted to let you know about it anyway.

you sure? post 2 seems to indicate i can alter the body to avoid a lift, which would be nice. i think the ground clearance and general bridge like structure of the truck will suffice, and keeping it from being top heavy is imperative. theres a vid of a member wallowing down a mountain road. i dont wish to suffer with him on the utube. :)

delithic

Observer
Well the true "super singles" that you would get that are the same as the semi trucks are on 22.5" rims. With a 425/65/R22.5 Michelin X One XZY or a 445/50/R22.5 Michelin X One XDA that would put you at 45" or 41" respectively. Thats a pretty big tire. You would also have to get 8 to 10 lug adaptors.

Here is a pic of a Dodge with them on

delithic

Observer
Hadn't seen the Ricksons. Those seem like a good option also, although be careful about the ones that are different on the front and back due to the dual spare tire issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12