F550 or Ram 5500 or ???

tomshelstad

I am about to pull the trigger on a new chassis-cab truck for an Overland build.
I’ve narrowed to these two for their serviceability in the USA, where I make home (Oregon).
I hear of the downfalls of the Ram’s DEF system…. As well as the fuel pump challenge of the F550…each which can result in a $15k fix.
I’ll be putting super singles on it, and a cab over from total composites, direct frame-mount.
I’d like the most solid base rig I can get, as I’ll be sinking a considerable investment into this build.
Any productive experience and thoughts are welcome.
If you have another base rig in mind, I’m open to hearing your thoughts on that, too.
I appreciate your input.
Tom from Ashland, Oregon.

Overdrive

Adventurer
Is a gasser out of the question for you? As a long time diesel owner (since '84), I'd now go with a gas motor for reliability and cost savings--both for the initial price and repairs. Ford's 7.3 with the 10 speed trans looks good.

pith helmet

Are you looking at new or used? I am currently shopping for a used 350 or 3500 and I see lots of clean nicely priced used F550’s around.

Explorerinil

Observer
I am about to pull the trigger on a new chassis-cab truck for an Overland build.
I’ve narrowed to these two for their serviceability in the USA, where I make home (Oregon).
I hear of the downfalls of the Ram’s DEF system…. As well as the fuel pump challenge of the F550…each which can result in a $15k fix.
I’ll be putting super singles on it, and a cab over from total composites, direct frame-mount.
I’d like the most solid base rig I can get, as I’ll be sinking a considerable investment into this build.
If you have another base rig in mind, I’m open to hearing your thoughts on that, too.
I appreciate your input.
What’s wrong with the DEF system on the ram/cummins truck? Never heard of any issues since the early trucks. Would you prefer a cab off to repair an engine or an engine compartment clogged with wires, hoses, etc?

tomshelstad

Thanks for the reply’s.
I’m looking to buy new, or very close to new
Diesel engines tend to last a lot longer, so I’ve leaned in that direction. MPG’s on a diesel are way better, too.
I’ve only heard that the Ram has been having major DEF problems…. And not sure what the exact challenge with them.
I’m planning on ordering the vehicle by the end of this week.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
What’s wrong with the DEF system on the ram/cummins truck? Never heard of any issues since the early trucks. Would you prefer a cab off to repair an engine or an engine compartment clogged with wires, hoses, etc?
I run two Ram dealerships. Right now there is no way I would by any Stellantis product. But, with that being said, they are making us a lot of money!

Alloy

I run two Ram dealerships. Right now there is no way I would by any Stellantis product. But, with that being said, they are making us a lot of money!

From what I hear if you can get one of their dealerships retirement setitng up trust funds for you kids is the next step.

Alloy

I appreciate your input.

Fully under the cost and install for singles and suspension upgrades on both 5500 and F550h then make your choice.

ericvs

Diesel engines tend to last a lot longer ... MPG’s on a diesel are way better, too.

I disagree with these two comments. If you were buying a pre-emissions diesel, I would say these comments are correct, but the new diesels with all the emissions stuff etc etc, I don't think they are worth the cost or hassle anymore. Longevity is reduced via the emissions stuff and the added cost of maintenance and repairs will completely remove any MPG advantages.

GeorgeHayduke

You can find horror stories on both brand-specific forums but in my experience, Ram's emissions and DEF system isn't any worse than Ford's. The latest generation diesels from about 2019/2020 onward in all the brands will use more DEF than previously.

Ford still uses the cp4 injector pump, while Ram used it briefly in 2019 and 2020 before returning to the cp3 for 2021. I'd sleep better at night with a cp3 but there are kits to lessen the damage from a failing cp4.

Not sure what cab you're thinking of, but Ford's crew cab is much larger than Ram's and has a flat rear floor.

The Ford 7.3 is used in the F750, so I think it has enough grunt for what you want to do, especially with the deep gears you can get in 550.

I'm not sure what to make of Ram's new ownership. As far as I know the truck hasn't changed and what was a good truck design when owned by FCA is still a good truck design. Not sure what will happen to future designs though.

Explorerinil

Observer
Thanks for the reply’s.
I’m looking to buy new, or very close to new
Diesel engines tend to last a lot longer, so I’ve leaned in that direction. MPG’s on a diesel are way better, too.
I’ve only heard that the Ram has been having major DEF problems…. And not sure what the exact challenge with them.
I’m planning on ordering the vehicle by the end of this week.
They last longer? They used to, but the new gassers are much more reliable and make decent power, mpg hand calculated are not much better than a gasser now. If you don’t need the extra torque, save the 8 to 10 grand added cost of a diesel.

my opinion, go with an f550 with the 7.3, last longer and be much more reliable long term then the 6.7 diesel.

Explorerinil

Observer
You can find horror stories on both brand-specific forums but in my experience, Ram's emissions and DEF system isn't any worse than Ford's. The latest generation diesels from about 2019/2020 onward in all the brands will use more DEF than previously.

Ford still uses the cp4 injector pump, while Ram used it briefly in 2019 and 2020 before returning to the cp3 for 2021. I'd sleep better at night with a cp3 but there are kits to lessen the damage from a failing cp4.

Not sure what cab you're thinking of, but Ford's crew cab is much larger than Ram's and has a flat rear floor.

The Ford 7.3 is used in the F750, so I think it has enough grunt for what you want to do, especially with the deep gears you can get in 550.

I'm not sure what to make of Ram's new ownership. As far as I know the truck hasn't changed and what was a good truck design when owned by FCA is still a good truck design. Not sure what will happen to future designs though.
Good point, btw a de-rated 7.3 gas is in the new blue bird school busses in either gas or propane. My buddies new motor home has a 7.3 gas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears