Fabbed up a bumper for the '98 Taco

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Finished mounting it today - have about 30 hours into it over three weekends.

Details:

2.00 x 6.00 x 0.25 wall square tube, tapered and capped ends

3/8" brackets/gussets

dual d-rings rated for 8500 Lbs

2" reciever

Rustoleum primer and two coats of black Krylon Hammer finish paint

one licence plate light

I believe I used about $40.00 in sawz-all blades, $20.00 in paint, $6.00 for the light, $15.75 for the reciever, $21.00 for the d-rings, $35.00 for the square tube (it was rusted, so I got it for $5.00 a foot vs $11.00 for clean matl), and $28.00 for the 3/8 x 6" x 6' cold rolled stock. Total of $165.00 + tax and my time...

Attachments

• bumper 1.JPG
    bumper 1.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 128
  • bumper 2.JPG
    bumper 2.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 145
  • bumper 3.JPG
    bumper 3.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 94
  • bumper 4.JPG
    bumper 4.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 90

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
It looks great! I bet it feels good to build things on your own and save hundreds and hundreds of dollars!

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
For me there is a huge amount of satisfaction in building stuff. It always takes 10 times longer than it should, and I forgot to add the cost of bandages into to the price, only needed three today!

:xxrotflma

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Crawler.......

Your "new school" personally fabbed up bumper............

Excellent Job.......!.........:shakin:

Looks SOooooooo much Kewler than my "Old School" Smittybuilt...........!

I wish I knew how to WELD...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Brady

Founder
Great bumper Mark. Now we need to get the truck out and test it :) (and not for just pulling out my Jeep...:shakin: )

First class work as always.

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
Mark,
The bumper looks good, and I would have to agree that it is a much better feeling when you make something yourself.
Don't want to nitpick about the cost, but I will. Hmmm, three weekends to manufacture bumper and itemized list of expenditures does not include cost of adult beverages. Me thinks this bumper may have been a little more pricey than you have led us to believe. Of course, I had not stopped to consider that the adult beverage expenditure might have been avoided by your dedication to "This project is so important, we can't let things that are more important interfere with it... "
At any rate, I look forward to seeing you and the new bumper on "Overland" weekend.
BX

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Nice work!

crawler#976 said:
Finished mounting it today - have about 30 hours into it over three weekends.

Details:

2.00 x 6.00 x 0.25 wall square tube, tapered and capped ends

3/8" brackets/gussets

dual d-rings rated for 8500 Lbs

2" reciever

Rustoleum primer and two coats of black Krylon Hammer finish paint

one licence plate light

I believe I used about $40.00 in sawz-all blades, $20.00 in paint, $6.00 for the light, $15.75 for the reciever, $21.00 for the d-rings, $35.00 for the square tube (it was rusted, so I got it for $5.00 a foot vs $11.00 for clean matl), and $28.00 for the 3/8 x 6" x 6' cold rolled stock. Total of $165.00 + tax and my time...

I like the simple and clean look of your new bumper. Very nice. A rear bumper is one of my very next projects! Can't wait to get started.
Cheers :beer:,
P

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Thanks Guys!

Needed to get this done so I can pull Scott's Jumping Jack up to William's!

Next on the list of projects is revamping the rear leafs. The bumper weighs about 80 Lbs, and with all the other crap in the back, I need a little more lift. There is only about a 1/2" between the overload and the main leaves. I've got 2 sets of old springs, a set of thin All Pro leaves from the front of the BPOS, and an old set of rear Taco springs. Between them I should be able to get a better leaf pack built.

BX - the beverages were prepaid and in the fridge, so they don't count...

A plasma cutter would have made this a weekend project. Cutting 3/8" stock and 1/4" wall square tube with a sawz-all is extremely tedious...

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Mark, looks great, and very nice work. I still need to pick up the steel and take it up to you to get my sliders built.;)

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Forgot about this post...

Last year in May I got rear ended by a 2x4 3/4T Chevy PU.

The bumper totaled the Chevy.

I had to get a new tail light and tail gate, and the frame was tweaked about 7/8's of an inch up at the arch. The bumper only need a little paint...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman