factory radio amp.

bamaexplorer

Observer
Hello to you all. I have 99 Montero sport XLS? Suppose to have an amp and a six speaker setup. was wondering if any of you knew where the factory amp was located. Want to see if that its still there and if so if I can use it. someone cut all the wires when they installed a radio.wasn't one in it when I got the truck. I had to hardwire the radio in and run some speaker wires to some cheap dash speakers.
Any help would be appreciated.

greg409

If you had the premium (with an amplifier), I believe the amp may be hiding behind the inside panel above the RR wheel (like my 2002 LTD)

My '99 ls had the standard 6 speaker, but no amp

luck,greg

off-roader

Expedition Leader
If you want very hight quality sound, it's worthwhile to get a quality amp and speakers to replace the OEM setup. That may be what the previous owner did.

bamaexplorer

Observer
Yea I got a little amp I was going to use on a small sub. I was more worried about having to rewire the door speakers completely.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yea I got a little amp I was going to use on a small sub. I was more worried about having to rewire the door speakers completely.
If you're going to put a set of good speakers & high wattage quality amp in, then yes worth rewiring. Otherwise, it's usually not worthwhile.

bamaexplorer

Observer
Have anybody switched out the factory electric antenna. With a nonelectric fix height one.

Found one thread about it but they were talking about switching the antenna mast. Not the whole thing

jlocster

Explorer
Have anybody switched out the factory electric antenna. With a nonelectric fix height one.

I did that. You'll have to get a fixed antenna base from the junk yard LS Montero, and remove and replace the power unit under the fender. The only tricky part is pulling the new antenna lead from under the fender to the inside of the cab behind the radio head unit.

bamaexplorer

Observer
I was looking at the parts store for one but thee contour won't work for the truck l'll have to make a trip to the You pull it. Got a few other things to hunt for

grandpa

The amp on my 2000 is in the compartment under the passenger side rear seat. There is a bolted panel covering the compartment.

bamaexplorer

Observer
In my 99 its under the rear passenger side window.

I was thinking about the antenna replacement. Would be possible to splice two ends of the wires together. Instead of trying to route it through.

shov3lbum

Adventurer
In my 99 its under the rear passenger side window.

I was thinking about the antenna replacement. Would be possible to splice two ends of the wires together. Instead of trying to route it through.

The amp in my 98 is under the passenger side rear window too. As for the antenna mast; it got bent and destroyed while in the Colorado mountains last year, tried for a while to replace it, but to no avail, and now, just don't care, still get plenty good reception actually :elk grin:

And I don't believe splicing would be a good idea, the shielding would be compromised in the wire and you would probably end up with electrical noise/static added to your radio.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
And I don't believe splicing would be a good idea, the shielding would be compromised in the wire and you would probably end up with electrical noise/static added to your radio.
Yup shielding is critical for antenna wires since they are feeding an Radio Frequency (RF) tuner. The electronics in your rig creates RF noise which would be picked up by the unsheilded section.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman