Factory truck leaf springs on M416 Trailers

Anyone use Factory leaf springs on their m416 from let's say Ford, Chevy, Jeep, Toyota trucks, etc?

I am thinking of pairing some truck leaf springs with some Rancho 9000 shocks to fine tune ride when loaded/unloaded. I will try my best to match trailer weight to load rating of the springs.

Anyone with actual experience with this or some thoughts on if it will work/not work, I want to hear your thoughts.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Early CJ series springs are correct. I believe the Early CJ5 springs, I just don't recall front or rear, lift springs work too.

Correct, early CJ front springs. There have been several builds with Jeep YJ leaf springs. I used 1.5" lift late CJ springs because I had them. If you use other springs you will find that you will probably be using longer springs. Early CJ springs are pretty short. I modified my frame to handle the spring hanger and shackle bushing at the rear because of the length. It is pretty easy to make your own custom spring packs by adding or removing springs from the pack for load rating purposes. There is a little bit of work and set up associated with changing and early CJ springs are out there and bolt on with a lot of afordable aftermarket support for bushings and shackles.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Some early CJ-5 springs are a direct bolt on. I use rear CJ springs 76 to 86, 87-95 wrangler front or rears, or front grand wagoneers 76-91. They are all 2.5" wide leafs. I also prefer to use the CJ rear spring mount kit.

preacherman

Explorer
My m416 has one spring that has gotten bad so I may replace both before the summer trips. Do you guys know which early cj springs are the closest to a direct fit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78