Failing the first test

High Center

Adventurer
So my first hiccup with the Disco 1...and I let myself down a bit.

On the way home from work two days ago I noted the smell of coolant in traffic. Now, I live in the southeast and it gets pretty warm this time of year- so coolant is second only to the smell of melting asphalt in the traffic queue. ...(I'm in a LR- it's a queue!)

Surley, I thought- the coolant isn't coming from under my hood. Temp gauge-check, no steam- check...moving on. I stoped at the local bike shop to get an oil filter for my DR-Z and there- from the grill is the faintest hint of steam...and the smell of coolant.

When I bought my LR I did it knowing the requirements of ownership- a good sense of humor, a stoic and patient approach to maintenance and a good firm stomach when it comes to the occasional...hiccup. I promised myself that I would take things in stride...as part of the adventure.

There I was in the parking lot of the bike shop- bowels turning to water and tiny beads of sweat forming on my lip and forehead. Is it the head Gasket? The radiator? Oh m' God what if its the head itself?!!!:Wow1:

I finished my business at the shop turned my heat all the way up and limped home wide eyed and mind racing through a horror show of viscocity breakdown. Once in the garage, I jumped out of the truck, and slowly rasied the hood fully expecting to find a panting, tired engine in an overheated death rattle.

What I found was a small slit in the upper radiator hose..(Original Equipment I think)....

25.00 from the local parts place and I'm back in business.

It was a cheap bit of perspective. I swore I would do better next time.

:Mechanic:

Best,
Duane

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
Fail? In what way did you fail? Kept your cool; got it home; fixed it; and your up and running with an interesting anecdote under your belt.

I would say wildly successful first go.

Congratulations.

Cheers,
Mark

muskyman

Explorer
next step is to replace the lower hose and the expansion bottla as both of them will also fail and cause a major meltdown.

they are very cheap to replace and are great pieces of insurance.

High Center

Adventurer
Thank you 7- I suppose I had in mind a bit of a chuckle and a wry smile.."What have we here old girl? a bit of steam eh? Ha ha! Nothing to worry about!"

Musky-The lower hose is on the way as well. I didn't know that about the expansion bottle- is there a better replacement?

lake_bueller

Observer
I know exactly how you feel. But it's usually with my DII instead of my DI.

I started to get a misfire last week. The first thought to go through my head was "please don't be a head gasket, please don't be a head gasket". Coolant level isn't moving. New plugs and wires are going in this weekend:bike_rider:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I thought you were going to tell us you ignored the warning signs, and suffered a meltdown. I don't think you failed at all.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Rubber...

That is the first thing I do with all vehicles I buy, replace all of the rubber. Belts, hoses, whatever, get new stuff.
I also tend to do the plugs and the spark control device.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
see signature:)
well done- cannot emphasize the importance of doing it at home with tools and lights, etc vs. side of the road or trail. Sounds like you have the Rover logic in place- cheers!

Serg5000

Adventurer
I don't care what you buy, it will brake down and let you down when you least expect it. All I can suggest is a good inspection of all if not most the components wile performing service. It is impossible to find every little problem. Just know that after you took a look under the hood, you did your best to find what might fail.

You can also start swapping stuff like a rad hose out every time you do a service. One thing at a time is what I say.

The only thing I would suggest as far as smelling the coolant, is pull over as soon as you smell it if you can. This could have gone way wrong and cost way more money. A simple inspection on the side of the road isn't a bad thing.

d110pickup

SE Expedition Society
Duane,
When you replace the hoses take a look at the expansion tank.
If it's black plastic replace it!!!!!
If you have the white (or off-white) tank it should be ok.
Normally the black ones will split and spray coolant and give some warning; but not mine. I had a catastrophic failure and it exploded at 65 mph on the interstate. It bent the hood so badly I couldn't unlatch it.
Good luck,
Mike

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Question, as I've been wanting to do a full cooling system service on my 04. I was planning on doing the the rad hoses pre-emptively, but the heater hoses would end your day too, wouldn't they?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears