fake patrol QX56 build

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
I've also continued to tune this suspension setup, I'm really happy with it now. This specific car came with HBMC originally, and there are no sway bars on those cars (the shock serves this purpose). Adding a stock rear sway bar has really helped the car corner even flatter and more predictably. Still running without a sway bar in front. I also dropped from a 700lb spring to a 600lb spring in the front, as well as adding a 2" tall foam jounce that is partially engaged at ride height. This setup has very compliant handling, better progression and rebound control, and lowered the front a little, maybe 3/4"? This subtle change improves the control arm angles enough to be felt.
IMG_3903.jpg
IMG_3905.jpg
IMG_3905.jpg

Perfectly level stance at ride height, it was sitting a little high in front with the 700s.
IMG_3906.jpg

I also upgraded to an adjustable piggy back reservoir stem top shock, with a more ideal extended/collapsed lengths. I worked with Falcon to get a prototype made, we sell a ton of their shocks for vans and I've become a huge believer in their piston designs, and adjustability. It's way out ahead of the competition. You can practically double the compression tune with the flick of a switch, so it can really change the way the vehicle behaves. Most of the time I run them in the middle setting, then flip to lightest when off road, and firmest when I tow a trailer.
IMG_4107.jpg

Here's a shot of the very first ramp test I did, the performance was pretty terrible:
IMG_1219.jpg
IMG_1217.jpg

Here's the current performance, there's about 40% more wheel travel all around. The ramp is obviously different but either serves the purpose to cycle suspension. The performance and balance has increased a lot.
IMG_4003.jpg
IMG_4004.jpg

Last edited:

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
Finished up the cargo area false floor by adding a couple more tie down provisions, and painted it with bedliner first, then tan at the hardware store to match. Finally, added a 10amp solar hookup on a power pole disconnect port too so I can toss out a panel to help keep up with the fridge usage in summer when parked. Some grip tape helped round out the rear cargo door sill, they didn't put anything here the first couple production years so it's a total scratch magnet.
IMG_5195.jpg
IMG_4938.jpg

Dmski

Adventurer
This truck is just absolutely sick. Nice work and build! Always have had a soft spot for these trucks.

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
This truck is just absolutely sick. Nice work and build! Always have had a soft spot for these trucks.
Thanks! It's a really neat platform IMO. A few basic mods that most anyone does to any other platform really helps these perform. I've never driven anything this size and power that handles quite the same...IRS is dope.

I'd love to start offering the shock and spring package, but I just don't think anyone would really care enough, all the owners on FB groups etc seem to be weirdly obsessed with fuel mileage and maintenance costs, warranty coverage etc....like...why did you buy a full size luxury SUV then? It's too bad Nissan's product team seems to consistently miss the mark properly targeting enthusiasts, and meeting quality expectations for their current owners. The resale on these is straight comical when you compare with an LC, Denali etc on a feature per feature basis. There are more than a few fellas in OZ on the FB groups that happily left a 200 or 300 series for a Y62 and haven't looked back, the typical US owner couldn't care less. They just want a rolling house couch for shuttling kids to ball games and towing the ski boat 3 miles.

paulforeman

I've been meaning to catch up on your build thread for a while. I really like the floor you put in the rear and the little battery cover where your viair pump sits is neat. Well done. I agree with you on Nissan somehow not quite hitting the target audience quite right. Seems like Toyota kinda has the market cornered somehow. They do make good stuff (No hate - My wife drives our 2004 V8 4Runner and we absolutely love it. It does really well on road and off).

That said, 4Runner builds are kinda boring. I've seen them all and especially living in Colorado, there's not much new or surprising about anyone's Toyota builds. But this QX56 is really cool. I'm glad to see you putting this much work into it. Such a fun project to read about.

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
I've been meaning to catch up on your build thread for a while. I really like the floor you put in the rear and the little battery cover where your viair pump sits is neat. Well done. I agree with you on Nissan somehow not quite hitting the target audience quite right. Seems like Toyota kinda has the market cornered somehow. They do make good stuff (No hate - My wife drives our 2004 V8 4Runner and we absolutely love it. It does really well on road and off).

That said, 4Runner builds are kinda boring. I've seen them all and especially living in Colorado, there's not much new or surprising about anyone's Toyota builds. But this QX56 is really cool. I'm glad to see you putting this much work into it. Such a fun project to read about.
Thanks for the props! I love your build and how much you get out and use the thing. That's the most important part! I had a GX470 and the cookie cutter-ness of it all was honestly a big reason I ditched it. I was able to make money on mine when I sold it since they became so popular, which funded this build. The few times I've pushed this thing off-road it surprises me...I thought the GX was good but this one does everything just a little better. Eventually the size and weight will catch up, but the overall clearance underneath is better. For mild fire roads and forest exploration, easier CO type mining roads, this works amazing.

I've actually waffled on selling this thing (because I just picked up a 96 Bronco to have fun in the dirt with too) but seeing the response it gets, and how comfortable it actually is when we use it keeps me coming back. Now that I have another 4x4 DD for winter time, the QX will probably go under the knife for a M205 front swap and regear to 3.36 ratio. Only thing holding me back has been lack of down time, since we drive the QX all the time.

Last edited:

MarcusBrody

Thanks! It's a really neat platform IMO. A few basic mods that most anyone does to any other platform really helps these perform. I've never driven anything this size and power that handles quite the same...IRS is dope.

I'd love to start offering the shock and spring package, but I just don't think anyone would really care enough, all the owners on FB groups etc seem to be weirdly obsessed with fuel mileage and maintenance costs, warranty coverage etc....like...why did you buy a full size luxury SUV then? It's too bad Nissan's product team seems to consistently miss the mark properly targeting enthusiasts, and meeting quality expectations for their current owners. The resale on these is straight comical when you compare with an LC, Denali etc on a feature per feature basis. There are more than a few fellas in OZ on the FB groups that happily left a 200 or 300 series for a Y62 and haven't looked back, the typical US owner couldn't care less. They just want a rolling house couch for shuttling kids to ball games and towing the ski boat 3 miles.
I actually was talking about this to my wife the other day. It just blows the mind at a time when outdoor/offroad prowess seems to be prime capital for vehicle brands, Nissan just totally ignores the Armada. They gussy up the Pathfinder. I walk by a Pathfinder Rock Creek every day. Their website shows it in a variety of outdoor situations. They're literally selling what's basically a Patrol - one of the more iconic 4x4s in the world - and they never market it that way. The landing picture on their Armada page shows it on a smooth asphalt road driving through the big city. They'd literally have to do nothing and it would be one of the most capable full sized SUVs in its class. Just call one version the Armada Patrol, put some mild AT tires on it, run a single commercial showing all the places around the world Patrols are beat on, and call it a day.

But Nissan couldn't even do that. Explains a lot about their current market share.

My wife was a bit confused as to why I was ranting about this particular topic to her.

Last edited:

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
I actually was talking about this to my wife the other day. It just blows the mind at a time when outdoor/offroad prowess seems to be prime capital for vehicle brands, Nissan just totally ignores the Armada. They gussy up the Pathfinder. I walk by a Pathfinder Rock Creek every day. Their website shows it in a variety of outdoor situations. They're literally selling what's basically a Patrol - one of the more iconic 4x4s in the world - and they never market it that way. The landing picture on their Armada page shows it on a smooth asphalt road driving through the big city. They'd literally have to do nothing and it would be one of the most capable full sized SUVs in its class. Just call one version the Armada Patrol, put some mild AT tires on it, run a single commercial showing all the places around the world Patrols are beat on, and call it a day.

But Nissan couldn't even do that. Explains a lot about their current market share.

My wife was a bit confused as to why I was ranting about this particular topic to her.
Following the US based FB groups for Armadas, and the Aussie FB Groups for Y62s will explain it all...unfortunately. All Nissan really has to do is a simple suspension upgrade, and parts bin a Titan diff and some lower ratios in (that's gonna be my next big move).

My wife cares 0 about vehicles, as long as they reliably take the family on dirt road adventures, and have heated seats and the built in garage door button.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
That V8 has always been a big favorite of the Auto reviewer guys. Its a nice engine bit thirsty but sounds great, reliable and good power/grunt. I agree Nissan could easily go after the same buyers looking at the xt4 package GM stuff and the Timberline Expedition etc. My Expedition replaced a 07 Sequoia which was ok better hauler than my J80. After 50k in the Expedition definitely not going back to Toyota platforms unless Toyota starts selling direct. 😆. The Armada is definitely a nice used rig at the price they are at, solid machine for sure.

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
That V8 has always been a big favorite of the Auto reviewer guys. Its a nice engine bit thirsty but sounds great, reliable and good power/grunt. I agree Nissan could easily go after the same buyers looking at the xt4 package GM stuff and the Timberline Expedition etc. My Expedition replaced a 07 Sequoia which was ok better hauler than my J80. After 50k in the Expedition definitely not going back to Toyota platforms unless Toyota starts selling direct. 😆. The Armada is definitely a nice used rig at the price they are at, solid machine for sure.
Ironically, it gets the same, or better mileage than our GX on 32s did doing essentially the same driving, and I've been running regular grade in the QX vs the GX. The 2wd mode, direct injection, and way higher output (aka working less) all add up. Toyota sure has a knack for making impressively dull truck engines. My friend has a 1st gen Tundra with a TRD blower, headers etc and it sounds cool and definitely moves quick, it's not exactly thunderous. The same mods and money into a VK56 based power plant would probably be terrifying on the streets, the Aussies seem to be getting deep into the 500hp range at that point.

The ground clearance on a XT4/Z71 GM SUV in their current flavor is simply comical, it's on par with a mid-size car if you look carefully. Seeing stock Armadas in the same parking lot next to them, considering the obvious external appearance difference in terms of 'perceived capability' and aggressive just makes me chuckle on the inside. I can slide on my back underneath my QX from stem to stern easily, the clearance is so rad.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Ironically, it gets the same, or better mileage than our GX on 32s did doing essentially the same driving, and I've been running regular grade in the QX vs the GX. The 2wd mode, direct injection, and way higher output (aka working less) all add up. Toyota sure has a knack for making impressively dull truck engines. My friend has a 1st gen Tundra with a TRD blower, headers etc and it sounds cool and definitely moves quick, it's not exactly thunderous. The same mods and money into a VK56 based power plant would probably be terrifying on the streets, the Aussies seem to be getting deep into the 500hp range at that point.

The ground clearance on a XT4/Z71 GM SUV in their current flavor is simply comical, it's on par with a mid-size car if you look carefully. Seeing stock Armadas in the same parking lot next to them, considering the obvious external appearance difference in terms of 'perceived capability' and aggressive just makes me chuckle on the inside. I can slide on my back underneath my QX from stem to stern easily, the clearance is so rad.
Yeah the ground clearance thing is interesting. We have a bunch of micro offices near by used by solo business folks. A buddy uses one of them and his neighbor is a crash analyst works for all the big insurance companies. Crazy fascinating person to talk to especially trucks and roof top tents and all the Overlandy bolt on trend stuff. The big SUVs are the most modern of the current crop of SUVs from mid size up. The ride height and physics of their dimensions is massively influenced by stability numbers with 8 passengers strapped into them. The Armada was designed before that aspect became a major design factor. Basically you give up some trail capabilities for a huge gain in vehicle stability and passenger safety. Thats why regardless of brand you’ll find they all run similar width and ground clearance.

The big SUV is basically designed to be the safest passenger vehicle on the pavement today. Vs the most capable to climb over stuff.

Toyotas engine power and mileage history has always been atrocious 😆. Its a big reason I couldn’t go another Toyota after 27yrs of Toyota’s . Definitely don’t miss it. My last Toyota is still in the family. Gave it to my dad. 07 limited Sequoia which got the wick turned up for that yr of the 4.7. It actually states in the owners manual that premium fuel is needed. Have driven other lower powered 4.7’s and can definitely tell you the difference between the turned up 4.7 and the mellow plodding 4.6’s is pretty large. The old GX with the bumped up 4.7 would have been pretty dangerous and probably would have made the top 10 wrecked vehicles lol. The 07 Sequoia wasn’t a massive power house but it definitely was a burnout stop light racer up to 70mph. Terrible mileage even with a tail wind and grandma driving.

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
Did you start the m205 swap?
Nope, I bought a 96 Ford Bronco instead and I'm restoring it currently. I'm actually debating selling the QX now because the Bronco will do a lot of the same things when done, but appeals to my inner 18 year old (had one from high school through college before I finally rolled it beyond repair).

crazydubman

Thought I would chime in as I am loving this build. My wife is looking to replace her current Audi Q5 with one of these and I hadn't given them much thought previously coming from a toyota background (06 4runner, 88 pickup, 97 4runner, 07 GX470) but after researching them more and seeing the progress going into yours, definitely has them growing on me.

One question I did have was about the 35's. Did you have to do any fender/body clearance work to get them to fit properly? (full stuff lock to lock) the clearance looks beautiful and just the way I like. (Low and wide)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior