Fall Leaf Looking Ride/Deer Camp Trip: Cartoogechaye Community, North Carolina

cobra_4

Observer
Finally got a chance to take the Jeep off the beaten path today. With fall colors peaking I knew it was the perfect time to get away for a little Sunday drive.

So after a quick breakfast at our favorite local joint me and the wifey headed out. The original plans were to go out to our family property, put some corn out for the deer and put out my trail cameras's. Then head up the mountain towards Hayesville, NC, but cut across Rainbow Springs, an 11 mile dirt road across the mountain. A road I'd heard my dad talk about riding motorcycles on years ago, many times, but a road I'd never been on.

Arriving at our property, here's the field beside the gate, one of our better spots for deer hunting, once it dies down a little. You probably can't see them, but there is a bunch of Turkey up there.

This was to be a big test for my Jeep because this is half the reason I bought it. When I'm gonna be in the woods for long periods of time, I bring my side by side, but its nice to be able to drive something up to check on food or camera's if needed, one of the biggest things I missed about my Wrangler.

Going up the mountain it did great, it was wet out and there were tons of leaves but it never broke traction one time, very impressed!

Up at the water overflow tank, I'll be back up here in two weeks on the Jeep's first camping trip, can't wait!!

From there it was back down the mountain a ways and over to "the orchard", although there hasn't been an apple tree there in many years, there was at one time. Now its my main hunting area. We bush hogged and cut out most of it earlier in September, it hasn't looked this good in a long time! Excited to see what the season brings.

From here I had to go back up toward the top of the mountain to turn around to go back down, I had a little tire spin the second time up, but nothing major.

On the way back down however, I quickly readjusted my lift plans, I thought my only reason for wanting a lift was bigger tires, I know know I need the ground clearance, I bottomed out two or three times really hard, stupid mistakes on rocks I've been dodging for years on side by side, motorcycles and atv's but I really figured I'd clear them.

Once at the bottom I had to stop in the main field for a quick photo op.

From here we had planned on going to Rainbow Springs like I had mentioned earlier, but when my phone got service I had a message from my buddy who is going to help me do hardwood floors in the nursery at my house and with a new born only a month or so away, I had to change plans so we could do some measuring and what not. We did however ride to the top of the mountain anyway, around the out skirts of Standing Indian Campground, but instead of heading across, we headed back down the mountain and for home.

I have some great video, I'll share it when I get it processed and uploaded!

duckhunter71

Adventurer
That's some nice property you have there. How many acres do ya'll own? I love springs like that. We have a few on our family farm as well.

When does deer season kick off in your area? Black powder opens tomorrow And modern gun kicks off Nov 8.

cobra_4

Observer
That's some nice property you have there. How many acres do ya'll own? I love springs like that. We have a few on our family farm as well.

When does deer season kick off in your area? Black powder opens tomorrow And modern gun kicks off Nov 8.

A little over 200. Alot of it is steep mountain terrain, lots of old logging trails though. Bow season opened back in September, but its been too thick and too hot to do much. Last Saturday ended two weeks of black power, so its back to bow. I'll start hitting it hard next weekend and try and go as much as I can between now and gun season which starts the Monday before Thanksgiving. It kinda sucks, we have no doe days in gun season and only three weeks of gun season. A gun season which usually the rut starts the last week of IF we are lucky. But it is what it is. I've had a bow(cross) for three years, but really only got into it last year. Killed my first buck with a bow, man what a rush, I'd almost rather hunt with it that gun now!

duckhunter71

Adventurer
A little over 200. Alot of it is steep mountain terrain, lots of old logging trails though. Bow season opened back in September, but its been too thick and too hot to do much. Last Saturday ended two weeks of black power, so its back to bow. I'll start hitting it hard next weekend and try and go as much as I can between now and gun season which starts the Monday before Thanksgiving. It kinda sucks, we have no doe days in gun season and only three weeks of gun season. A gun season which usually the rut starts the last week of IF we are lucky. But it is what it is. I've had a bow(cross) for three years, but really only got into it last year. Killed my first buck with a bow, man what a rush, I'd almost rather hunt with it that gun now!

That's usually how it goes - I own a bow, but I haven't gotten into hunting with it yet. You were lucky to get a buck with a bow right out of the gate. Seems like most people do not have that kind of luck! Our modern gun season will run from 11/8 to 12/14 and there's usually a special Christmas hunt.

Sounds like ya'll have a nice place! Our hunting ground is 260 acres of bottom land with a big ash flat on it. We've also got a flooded timber hole that is good for a few shoots during duck season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman