Family Heirloom CJ-6

balexander87

Observer
This isn't really an "expedition" build, but it is a neat story and wanted to share it.

Back in '65, my mom's dad bought this Jeep new. Shortly after purchase he rebuilt a 283 small-block and swapped it in along with an OD/gear-splitter and Warn hubs. I also recall him describing a home-built, hand crank winch he put on it, which is gone now. I'm not 100% sure of any other mods, but it was built to be used. My grandparents and their three kids traveled all over California and the western US in it. I love hearing all the stories about Death Valley and other trips they took in this thing.

Well, at some point, my grandfather passed it on to his father, who eventually passed it to my parents, who then passed it on to my dad's dad, who has owned it for the past 30 or so years, using it on their cattle ranch, first in California and now in Missouri. It was the vehicle I learned to drive a stick in growing up and drove while working on the farm. For the past few years tho, it hasn't seen any use and has sat in a barn.

As a surprise birthday gift to my mom this year, her in-laws gifted it back to her. Needless to say she is super psyched!

The brakes don't work, the gas is bad, and every fluid probably needs replaced, but it was a strong runner when it was parked and my parents are chomping at the bit to get it trailworthy again. The immediate goal is to get it running so that all the systems can be fully tested to see what's working and what's not. Rust is minimal and limited to surfaces, as far as I know. The jeep is 10hrs away from me in So. Missouri, but I'm keeping as close of tabs as I can.

I love the story and history of this jeep, and want to keep this thread as a way to document that history as I learn it. I can't wait to see it running again!

This is the only pic I have right now, but will add 'em as I get 'em :)

ffdbf0cce655ac89e3d0b372cae931fa.jpg

Last edited:

balexander87

Observer
One story I remember my mom and grandpa telling involves an incident that occurred on the drive back from a jeep trip.

The convoy of Jeeps is cruising down the road and all of a sudden their Jeep loses all power. Engine is still running fine, but it ain't making it to the wheels.

My grandpa assumes something took a complete dump and gets on the radio asking if the folks behind him saw any parts fall out from underneath while he gets it pulled over. No parts seem to have been lost. No fluids either. So they start crawling around trying to figure out what has happened.

After a while, someone thinks to check the shifters in the cab... turns out, my mom had been sleeping in the middle up front and had accidentally kicked the overdrive into neutral!

Definitely sounds like it was a frustrating experience, but at the end of the day, all ended well and it makes for a great story :)

Last edited:

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Great stories, and an awesome heirloom Jeep! I've had my cj5 for over 20 years now, and hope to pass it on to my kids someday. Good luck with your project!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears