Family overland vehicle suggestions?

Michigan4x4

Observer
Ok Guys... I am looking for suggestions for a vehicle big enough to haul 4 people, medium sized dog, and all our gear comfortably. I would like to stick with something manufactured by one big three here in the U.S.

My wife and I both love camping and the outdoors but are trying to expand our family and want something that will accommodate our needs. On the flip side, My brother an I enjoy hunting together. We set up a Hunting camp in Michigan's Upper Peninsula twice a year in some very out of the way areas. I am casually looking for something now different now. It will be a 3rd vehicle (sitting a lot) and used mainly for road trips, camping, hunting, fishing and general overland adventure.

So.. Here is what I have now...

This truck works VERY well.... for 2 people and the dog in the back... ******The truck now has a matching fiberglass cap on the back with a roof rack. Dont have photos********
It is a 2010 Chevy Silverado Work Truck 4x4 regular cab/short box with the 5.3 V-8 and 6 speed auto. Leveling kit up front, blocks in the back. Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX Tires.
Again, it works really well just need something that will fit 4 people and the dog. I love this truck and hate the idea of getting rid of it.. I wil say I am not thrilled with the 6 speed auto. Seems like it does a lot of gear hunting...
Truck.jpg

I also have this... 1993 M101A2 (Modified) that gets pulled behind the truck with our deer hunting camp in it. The trailer weighs about 1400lbs empty and probably 2000-2500lbs with gear, firewood, camp, tent etc.. It does have a cover and I do pull it with the cover on most of the time. Cover is shown the the pic below of our camp.
Trailer.jpg

Here is Deer camp in the Upper Penn.
Deer Camp.jpg

Here is a M1009 3/4 ton Military blazer that I had a few years back. I sold this thing and HATE myself for doing so. It had a 6.2 Diesel and was AWESOME off road. I had big plans for this truck but had to sell it. These trucks are getting harder and harder to find. I am so upset that I sold this I can barely stand it. It would have been perfect to build into an expo/hunting vehicle... I have a hard time even looking at these pics as I now realize the potential this blazer had. It did have rusted rockers and some other issues but I shouldf have kept it!!! :(
HP_Photos 008.jpg

HP_Photos 001.jpg

I also have this M416 Trailer that I will be working on this summer. Going to rebuild it and possibly add a cover. No plans for a RTT.
HP_Photos 012.jpg

So....
My new vehicle requirements are as follows:

-Must be able to fit 4 people, 1 medium dog, and some gear (On most trips other gear will be in one of the two trailers above)
- Must be able to pull the two trailers above (M101a2 and M416) without problem on the highway and through nasty 2 tracks, mud, water etc.
- Must have enough power to pull the above trailers full of gear without getting single digit MPG. The red Silverado pictured above pulls the M101a2 trailer easily over all types of terrain fully loaded and just barely gets double digit gas mileage. The only problem with the truck is it is a regular cab.
- Must be very capable off road yet equally as capable and reliable on the highway.
- Must be in the $20,000.00 range.
- Must have a good amount of aftermarket parts available and be easily repaired by any dealer/shop in the US/Canada.
****The vehicle will never leave the US/Canada*****

Now that I re-read all my "must haves" it looks like I already had eveything in the M1009 K-5 Blazer. I am so angry that I sold that!!

Anyways.. I am thinking 2500 Extended/crew cab pickup... Possibly a diesel. The only issue I have with crew cab pickups is their size. Sure, they are more than capable off road but they are gigantic. I am looking for other suggestions. I a mechanically inclined, can weld, and wouldnt mind working on an older vehicle. The only thing with older vehicles is that I always question their reliability. This is one of the reasons I got rid of the blazer and replaced it with the Silverado.

So.. Suggestions.. I would like to get some opinions, pic of other rigs etc.. Not sure if I want another pickup truck or an SUV... I definitely want something that is reliable and capable. If I had my choice I would have a mid sized SUV with a heavy running gear, and a reliable diesel. Yukon or Tahoe with mechanical Cummins 4bt would be nice..

Thanks
Jeff

brp

Observer
My suggestion is a diesel Excursion. The mileage is really good for what it is, super capable, tons of storage, good family vehicle.

A crew cab with a topper gets you to about the same place, but I think since you have the trailers you should go for an Excursion. If you need extra capacity for gear, bring the trailer. If you only have a crew cab and you want to bring extra people or items you don't want in a trailer or truck bed...you're more limited.

With an Ex and trailer, you could carry about 6 people, all their stuff, pull the trailer, do it all in comfort in a proven platform with great support.

Remember than an Excursion is an F250, and F250's, 350's, 450's, and 550's share many parts, aftermarket options and service providers.

Michigan4x4

Observer
Thanks BRP. I was actually considering the Expedition or even a Suburban gasser. But, I am also looking closely at the Dodge Ram 2500 with 5.9 Cummins. I still like the idea of having a pickup truck for some reason. I also like the Cummins diesel over the ford. Not in a rush to make a decision, just wanted to see what people had to say. Whatever I end up getting, it will be a third vehicle. Like I said, It will be sitting a lot.

Anyone have links to Dodge 2500 or Excursion Builds?

Thanks
Jeff

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would go with a suburban z71. build accordingly. I have a 2005 z71 that we use for extended family excursions. I also use my JK Unlimited alot. But for big family trips the size of the suburban wins. Its really comfortable too.

tyler93

Observer
I love my dodge cummins. In the right configuration you could get 16+ mpg pulling those trailers, with no gear hunting on the hills. That boosted straight six does it all. Solid front axle to boot.

desertspeed

Adventurer
Have you thought about an E350 with a 4WD conversion? I switched from a Silverado 2500HD crewcab to one 2 years ago and the van outperforms it in every way for a family of 4 with 2 dogs. Way more usable space inside, does much better offroad, and still tows fine. Get the extended body and you may not need to bring the trailers as often. Tons of info in the 4WD Van forum.

Chongzilla

The cummins are nice but they are also spendy when compared to other trucks like ford super duty.

I would suggest an 05 or newer super duty truck. The 6.0 is not as bad as people let on. We have a ton at work that get abused on a daily basis but keep going. The super duty crew cab has tons of room and the truck can pull anything you need it to. I saw 05 and newer because they have a better steering set up and will turn around inside a two lane road. My 99 super duty would have to do a three point turn.

Chongzilla

I should also mention I owned an 05 cummins 2500. It was bad ***** but the parts are very spendy and their trannies are know to crap out. I put one trans in mine (3k$) and one set of injectors (5k after man hours at 90$ an hour and injectors at 325$ a piece). Diesels are way cool but they are also not for the budget build.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
2nd gen Isuzu (mines a 2001) holds 4 adults or 2 adults, 3 kids perfectly. Takes our dog and our gear, too. It tows perfectly well. It would even flinch with a fully loaded rig and that m416. A lightly loaded larger trailer has proven to be no issue as well.

Also, i'd consider mid-sized rigs like 3rd or 4th gen 4runners, tacoma's, and later model nissan exterra's. All great rigs with a good aftermarket.

Go sit in a trooper. I loved my 89 k5 (drove it all the way to Montana and back on a camping trip), but my 01 trooper honestly feels more roomy and plush inside, plus it has that solid japanese car feel with the benefit of using a blend fairly normal Aisin and GM parts. Mines slowly getting upgraded with ARB, OME, and Warn aftermarket stuff as my budget allows.

Ok Guys... I am looking for suggestions for a vehicle big enough to haul 4 people, medium sized dog, and all our gear comfortably. I would like to stick with something manufactured by one big three here in the U.S.

My wife and I both love camping and the outdoors but are trying to expand our family and want something that will accommodate our needs. On the flip side, My brother an I enjoy hunting together. We set up a Hunting camp in Michigan's Upper Peninsula twice a year in some very out of the way areas. I am casually looking for something now different now. It will be a 3rd vehicle (sitting a lot) and used mainly for road trips, camping, hunting, fishing and general overland adventure.

So.. Here is what I have now...

This truck works VERY well.... for 2 people and the dog in the back... ******The truck now has a matching fiberglass cap on the back with a roof rack. Dont have photos********
It is a 2010 Chevy Silverado Work Truck 4x4 regular cab/short box with the 5.3 V-8 and 6 speed auto. Leveling kit up front, blocks in the back. Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX Tires.
Again, it works really well just need something that will fit 4 people and the dog. I love this truck and hate the idea of getting rid of it.. I wil say I am not thrilled with the 6 speed auto. Seems like it does a lot of gear hunting...
View attachment 223526

I also have this... 1993 M101A2 (Modified) that gets pulled behind the truck with our deer hunting camp in it. The trailer weighs about 1400lbs empty and probably 2000-2500lbs with gear, firewood, camp, tent etc.. It does have a cover and I do pull it with the cover on most of the time. Cover is shown the the pic below of our camp.
View attachment 223527

Here is Deer camp in the Upper Penn.
View attachment 223528

Here is a M1009 3/4 ton Military blazer that I had a few years back. I sold this thing and HATE myself for doing so. It had a 6.2 Diesel and was AWESOME off road. I had big plans for this truck but had to sell it. These trucks are getting harder and harder to find. I am so upset that I sold this I can barely stand it. It would have been perfect to build into an expo/hunting vehicle... I have a hard time even looking at these pics as I now realize the potential this blazer had. It did have rusted rockers and some other issues but I shouldf have kept it!!! :(
View attachment 223529

View attachment 223530

I also have this M416 Trailer that I will be working on this summer. Going to rebuild it and possibly add a cover. No plans for a RTT.
View attachment 223531

So....
My new vehicle requirements are as follows:

-Must be able to fit 4 people, 1 medium dog, and some gear (On most trips other gear will be in one of the two trailers above)
- Must be able to pull the two trailers above (M101a2 and M416) without problem on the highway and through nasty 2 tracks, mud, water etc.
- Must have enough power to pull the above trailers full of gear without getting single digit MPG. The red Silverado pictured above pulls the M101a2 trailer easily over all types of terrain fully loaded and just barely gets double digit gas mileage. The only problem with the truck is it is a regular cab.
- Must be very capable off road yet equally as capable and reliable on the highway.
- Must be in the $20,000.00 range.
- Must have a good amount of aftermarket parts available and be easily repaired by any dealer/shop in the US/Canada.
****The vehicle will never leave the US/Canada*****

Now that I re-read all my "must haves" it looks like I already had eveything in the M1009 K-5 Blazer. I am so angry that I sold that!!

Anyways.. I am thinking 2500 Extended/crew cab pickup... Possibly a diesel. The only issue I have with crew cab pickups is their size. Sure, they are more than capable off road but they are gigantic. I am looking for other suggestions. I a mechanically inclined, can weld, and wouldnt mind working on an older vehicle. The only thing with older vehicles is that I always question their reliability. This is one of the reasons I got rid of the blazer and replaced it with the Silverado.

So.. Suggestions.. I would like to get some opinions, pic of other rigs etc.. Not sure if I want another pickup truck or an SUV... I definitely want something that is reliable and capable. If I had my choice I would have a mid sized SUV with a heavy running gear, and a reliable diesel. Yukon or Tahoe with mechanical Cummins 4bt would be nice..

Thanks
Jeff

Cole

Expedition Leader
Have you thought about an E350 with a 4WD conversion? I switched from a Silverado 2500HD crewcab to one 2 years ago and the van outperforms it in every way for a family of 4 with 2 dogs. Way more usable space inside, does much better offroad, and still tows fine. Get the extended body and you may not need to bring the trailers as often. Tons of info in the 4WD Van forum.

X2

(Funny that I think everyone in this thread simply suggested what THEY OWN! :coffeedrink:)

I don't own a full size American van:sombrero: But the post above is very true! There is no better family adventure vehicle than a camper van. The functional space vs. vehicle size simply can't be beat!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
X2

(Funny that I think everyone in this thread simply suggested what THEY OWN! :coffeedrink:)

I don't own a full si ze American van:sombrero: But the post above is very true! There is no better family adventure vehicle than a camper van. The functional space vs. vehicle size simply can't be beat!

Of course, because we have experience with what the OP is trying to do with our own rigs. He asked what vehicle and we said what we use and use effectively for the same purpose.

Rescue Ninja

Adventurer
X2

There is no better family adventure vehicle than a camper van. The functional space vs. vehicle size simply can't be beat!

^^^ Ditto. I LOVE my Durango because it meets many (all?) of the criteria you listed (5.9 v8, 3rd row, seats 7, 5500# towing, and gets up to 17mpg), but If I were on the market for a purpose built/bought expo rig it would be a 4x4 conversion van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears