Fast setup ground tent?

Woodrow F Call

I'm looking to see what options are available for a fast setup tent. My thoughts are....

Rolling to the camp ground late at night.
Setup tent.
Roll out sleeping pad.
Roll out sleeping bag.
Go to sleep.
Wake up.
Roll sleeping bag back up.
Roll sleeping pad up.
Tear down tent.
Get back on the road.

Looking for something that will make this quick and easy as I might do this day after day for a few days. It'll be in a truck, so it doesn't have to be ultralight. Sleeping at least 2. RTT would be great, but not looking to go that way right now.

Ideas?

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
The Oz tents seem to rate highly for setup time. Reportedly 30 seconds for some models. They look to be large and heavy though. Haven't owned one yet, but I've been checking them out.

Thean

Pile-O-Parts
I use a Ueraka TL2 (Timberline 2 person) for this. Freestanding. 5x poles. No stupid material sleeve type feeding, all clips. Stakes not required. Compact. It's huge for 1 person. 2 obese people could fit NP. 2 normal humans and a couple crotch fruit would be no issue.

Gazelle tent

I spoke with someone recently that has been using their 4 person gazelle tent for the past 6 months non-stop and still loving it. They use a unique technology and though they are newer to tents they have been making huting blinds and ice-fishing structures. Fast and spacious without being to costly.

krick3tt

Adventurer
OZ tents come in slightly different sizes. I have a RV3 and it spacious for two people. Set up is easy and it is 30 sec if you don't use the tie downs. Maybe a whole 60 sec if you do. there are add ons (sides and front panels) that give you more tent space but for an overnight they might be a bit much. Definitely watch a vid on the set up if you can.
https://www.oztent.us

Last edited:

TwinStick

Explorer
We just picked up this one, over the winter here. http://www.cabelas.com/product/camp...779080/sc/104303880/null/2437121.uts?slotId=2 Have not used it yet, but I expect good things from it. We have a Cabela's 8 person Alaskan Guide Geodesic Dome tent that is AWESOME FOR WICKED WEATHER, but it does take a while to set up & take down (45min-1hr w/2 people). So we use that when we are going to be in one spot for a week of more. We also wanted something quick, light & easy. I supect 10-15min tops w/1 person. This fits the bill nicely.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Interesting vid. At least the guy has a sense of humor but I wonder how it would hold up in a wind. The caption says unedited. Truth in advertising, especially doing the front canopy.

rei half dome 4. took 3 mins to set up in the rain in the dark . thats with putting out the footprint. no issues with the rain. has a nice vent system. and rei's warranty.

THALLIHAN

I like the Front Runner instant tent. small, light, opens up in 4 seconds. About 3 times the price of the Coleman but I've heard the Frontrunner's quality is top notch.

Also forgot to mention that I like the original tent cots. Not sure if the XL can sleep 2 adults comfortably though.

thefishhawk

Adventurer
For two I would usually use a 4 man tent for having some extra space if I'm not carrying it on my back. Question is really if you want to be able to stand up or anything or just a quick place to crash.

I use something like this:

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/mountain-hardwear-drifter-4-dp-tent-4-person-3-season~p~8161t/

simple two pole design with clips, can go up in a couple minutes, doesn't have to be staked out. rain fly optional and clips to the corners super fast when needed, stake on each door if you use it. two doors make it easy to get the pads and sleeping bags in and out each side.

For takedown I just shove it in a waterproof bag or the one it comes in. comes down fast if you aren't trying to fold and roll it. Unclip, breakdown the poles that are all attached as one unit and into the bag, stuff the tent, ground cloth on top if using one. Super simple and fast.

Smileyshaun

Observer
I have a Colman quick set and it has been great , big enough for a queen air mattress and 4 cots , sets up in just a couple minutes. With 5 of us we have camp set up completly in under 10 minutes, that's tent , cots , sleeping bags, kitchen and chairs around The fire . The smaller tents set up even quicker but we like all the extra room .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman