Fat bikes

rruff

Explorer
Last weekend, I was running ~1psi. I'm lightweight as well, but I would've definitely pinch flatted running tubes. I use split-tube method, and it's easy peasy. Even changing tires, I can reuse the split tube without issues.

Can you seat the tire with a hand pump?

p nut

butter
Can you seat the tire with a hand pump?

With a floor pump, yes. (No way with a mini pump). I usually have to wrap a strap around the circumference of the tire and ratchet it down some. This spreads the beads out, which then makes solid contact with the rim bed, allowing it to air up and eventually seat. Compressor's easier, but I've not needed it.
Be sure to use lots of soapy water. It helps seal, and more importantly, lubricates the bead to help it seat. I've even used straight up dish soap at times.
_
With tubeless specific rims and tires, this is much easier where some times you don't need the strap method.

Last edited:

deuxdiesel

Observer
Has anyone tried the Bontrager Flash pump yet? Supposedly you pump up an air reservoir and the evacuate it into the tube or tire all at once. The idea is great, but $120 is steep for a pump

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Has anyone tried the Bontrager Flash pump yet? Supposedly you pump up an air reservoir and the evacuate it into the tube or tire all at once. The idea is great, but $120 is steep for a pump
I've used the Bontrager pump, and it definitely works. I prefer using the Airshot, although it's hardly inexpensive either. Here's a little diddy I wrote for Singletracks.com

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/m...asy-airshot-rechargeable-air-canister-review/

I think it's a bit more effective than the Bonti pump. It's also easy to carry when I travel just in case I need to replace a tire. BTW, I've been able to mount my last few fatbike tires as tubeless right out of the gate with no fussing with split tubes, pre-mounting with tubes, etc. I'm also pretty picky about the tire/rim combos I use.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I will have a review up next week of the Diamondback El Oso Grande. All things considered, for the value, not a bad rig. Needs to go on a serious diet, but for the money, I think it's a good option.

DSCF0111 (1).jpg

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Isn't that the same bike Costco made an attempt at selling about a year back?
Don't have a clue. My guess is not, but I do know DB has had other bikes on offer through Costco as well as REI, Performance, etc. Their distribution has certainly been a little...loose. :)

They are making some better product than they have in years. I have been riding their all carbon Haanjo gravel bike for roughly six months, even doing a race in Idaho on it, and think it's pretty great.

monkeyrider

Observer
Don't have a clue. My guess is not, but I do know DB has had other bikes on offer through Costco as well as REI, Performance, etc. Their distribution has certainly been a little...loose. :)

They are making some better product than they have in years. I have been riding their all carbon Haanjo gravel bike for roughly six months, even doing a race in Idaho on it, and think it's pretty great.

which race? I'm looking for some gravel events out that way. The only one I've heard of so far is JayP's pursuit.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
which race? I'm looking for some gravel events out that way. The only one I've heard of so far is JayP's pursuit.
Rebecca Rusch invited me as a guest to ride in her event, Rebecca's Own Private Idaho. Pretty fantastic. Beautiful course, but it was a ball buster. I didn't do the full hundo as I was riding with a pack full of cameras and stopping to take photos, which was actually quite nice. It allowed me time to stop and enjoy the ride, not something I've typically done when so focused on results. Great event to just hang out and enjoy the views and the town of Ketchum. Extremely well run event.

jayspies

Adventurer
Rebecca Rusch invited me as a guest to ride in her event, Rebecca's Own Private Idaho. Pretty fantastic. Beautiful course, but it was a ball buster. I didn't do the full hundo as I was riding with a pack full of cameras and stopping to take photos, which was actually quite nice. It allowed me time to stop and enjoy the ride, not something I've typically done when so focused on results. Great event to just hang out and enjoy the views and the town of Ketchum. Extremely well run event.

Looking forward to those photos...

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Christophe, I'm curious what you think of the Salsa Bucksaw on snow.
It's fine. The squish only has much benefit when riding over hard snow that has been chopped up with footprints and ruts. Otherwise, I don't feel there's any advantage to having it. Even then, that benefit is pretty modest and not a reason to buy a Bucksaw. The Bucksaw is getting pretty niche with the new crop of FS mid-fat bikes.

monkeyrider

Observer
It's fine. The squish only has much benefit when riding over hard snow that has been chopped up with footprints and ruts. Otherwise, I don't feel there's any advantage to having it. Even then, that benefit is pretty modest and not a reason to buy a Bucksaw. The Bucksaw is getting pretty niche with the new crop of FS mid-fat bikes.

Thanks, I've got a friend who is considering buying one. She loved riding a 27.5 x 3 FS bike this summer. I thought she might like the bucksaw in summer and it would still allow her to ride on snow in winter. One bike two seasons.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Thanks, I've got a friend who is considering buying one. She loved riding a 27.5 x 3 FS bike this summer. I thought she might like the bucksaw in summer and it would still allow her to ride on snow in winter. One bike two seasons.
That's the reason to buy a Bucksaw. The FS just doesn't justify itself in the snow, but it also doesn't have any detriment aside from an extra few pounds. If speed isn't high on your priorities, the Bucksaw makes almost everyone a better rider in most terrain. Not to say you can't completely haul the mail with it - particularly downhill. :)

monkeyrider

Observer
That's the reason to buy a Bucksaw. The FS just doesn't justify itself in the snow, but it also doesn't have any detriment aside from an extra few pounds. If speed isn't high on your priorities, the Bucksaw makes almost everyone a better rider in most terrain. Not to say you can't completely haul the mail with it - particularly downhill. :)

That was my thought. The big tires give her a lot more confidence on dirt and rocks. I figure she can ride it on snow as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears