Father and Sons Build Too

DanCooper

Adventurer
Nope, nothing special on top. CPES covered by two coats of Durabak should do it. The fiberglass tape won't stop water penetration so much as it will add strength to the joint. If you are going to tape the joint, you should put the Rot Doctor CPES on first, then the tape using fiberglass resin and hardener to fix it in place, then the Durabak on top of that.

There are a number of YouTube videos on how to apply fiberglass tape to seams and joints. I would recommend you take a look at one of those to see if it is something you want to tackle. I will be doing it in a few days and I am scared to death of the process. But I think I will do it for the strengthening ti brings to the process.

jeeper92

Adventurer
Tape..

Nope, nothing special on top. CPES covered by two coats of Durabak should do it. The fiberglass tape won't stop water penetration so much as it will add strength to the joint. If you are going to tape the joint, you should put the Rot Doctor CPES on first, then the tape using fiberglass resin and hardener to fix it in place, then the Durabak on top of that.

There are a number of YouTube videos on how to apply fiberglass tape to seams and joints. I would recommend you take a look at one of those to see if it is something you want to tackle. I will be doing it in a few days and I am scared to death of the process. But I think I will do it for the strengthening ti brings to the process.

Just watched a few. Not interested!! Haha. I'm pretty happy with the strength of this thing anyway!

Martyinco

Adventurer
That looks pretty good. So how do I apply the tape? What else would I need. Would the tape be able to be "bed lined" after its on the seams?? This seems like it would be a great/easy fix to sealing all the seams. Thanks for your answers in advance.

You would use a two part resin and brush it on and apply the tape, and than more resin over the top, smooth it out with a hard roller would help also to press it down real good. Yes it could be bed lined after it has dried.

jeeper92

Adventurer
Thanks

I HATE SANDING!! Been sanding wood filler and Bondo non stop the past 5 days. Ordered my CPES and Durabak. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Still waiting on the registration. I was hoping to have it ready for the York Jeep Show but that's prolly not gonna happen. Now Im shooting for the overland festival in PA.

jeeper92

Adventurer
Quick Update

Someone had asked about how I was going to incorporate a "bunk" into the build. The picture below should make it clearer. This will fold down after we unload and are ready to camp. I may not always have a third one with me so I wanted the option of keeping the galley closed. Thoughts?

DanCooper

Adventurer
Not sure. Been thinking of that for a few days. Definetly a 2x2 leg just not sure what type of hinge to use. Suggestions???

With that mass, I would consider a ledger along the side walls if possible. If using a 2x2 leg hinged to fold flat against the bottom of the bunk in the raised position, I suppose I would use a strap hinge that was through bolted, and probably a hinge locking device as well. Something like this perhaps: http://www.stanleyhardware.com/detail/446-table-leg-brace-s495-680 The bed will be subjected to moving weight whenever in use and that will stress the leg joints, which is why I would prefer the ledgers so the stresses are transferred to a larger, stronger structure.

Rutdigger

Watch This!
Not sure. Been thinking of that for a few days. Definetly a 2x2 leg just not sure what type of hinge to use. Suggestions???

Why legs or ledges? Why not just use cable? Fold up out of the way, nothing on the walls, nothing hanging down. Clean install and sturdy. Just my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998