Faulty starter on Thai-assembled D40 Navara

mauricio_28

Adventurer
After several instances of failed starts with no cranking over at all, the Nissan dealer has acknowledged a problem with the starter motor. A replacement will be installed this weekend.

Nevertheless, a doubt remains. Whenever the rig doesn't start, I crawl underneath, whack the starter a couple of times with a wrench, and that does it; upon turning the key it starts once again. What's going on inside the starter?

mauricio_28

Adventurer
Despite the apparent lack of interest or expertise on this issue, I am posting a follow-up for the benefit of other Navara owners. The problematic starter, a Thai-made Hitachi, has been replaced with a Czech-made Mitsubishi. It now starts like gangbusters, with a much different tone than the old starter.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Despite the apparent lack of interest or expertise on this issue, I am posting a follow-up for the benefit of other Navara owners. The problematic starter, a Thai-made Hitachi, has been replaced with a Czech-made Mitsubishi. It now starts like gangbusters, with a much different tone than the old starter.

I'm glad you got it worked out and they took care of you.

On Toyota's....when the starter gets old. The starter plunger succumbs to Heat! This will cause the plunger to not make contact with the almost worn out Contacts! We will just get a "Click" sound, but no starter turnover.

You can not have starter turnover without Contact!

That's when it's time to rebuild the starter and replace the Plunger and Contacts.

I've been through this.

Your Wack with the wrench, simply loosened the plunger enough while hot to hit the worn out contacts.

I've been guilty of wacking my Starter too!

Your Starter motor was not the problem.....IMHO

Keep Going!!!!:elkgrin::sombrero::victory::ylsmoke:

(I'm sorry....I don't visit the Nissan threads much, or I would have answered you, and helped relieve your pain much sooner)!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the lack of attention for this thread was due to two things-
1. No one has had major issues with their starters. Only isolated incidents like yous.
2. Most of us have the VQ40, you have the TDI (I think). They have very different starters.

mauricio_28

Adventurer
It's a recognized problem here with those Hitachi starters. The Nissan Teana also has the same starter and the same problem...yes, I have the YD25DDTi engine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior