Fear of the highlift?

Anak

Stranger
Just as you are free to swear and rant while I go out and maintain the trails so that we can continue to enjoy the outdoors.

HAND.

dumprat

Adventurer
Not sure about your jack but when mine has the handle in the fully upright position and whack it hard enough it unlocks and slides down to the bottom.

When the handle is in the open position it has one or both pins locked into the beam.

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
Not sure about your jack but when mine has the handle in the fully upright position and whack it hard enough it unlocks and slides down to the bottom.

When the handle is in the open position it has one or both pins locked into the beam.

The jack only slides to the bottom when there is no load on it and is in the lower mode. The handle full upright position in the rise mode is absolutely locked.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Only if it's unloaded (less than 150 pounds).

In the down position, with a load, if you whack it it will start ratcheting down the post one step at a time - flailing the handle back and forth with amazing speed and force.

I know at least two people who have been injured by this when it happened (one of them critically - major facial fractures and lost an eye).

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Yep, I got whacked under the chin one time by this. About the only time I have been grateful for my double chin. If I had been looking down, it could have been much uglier than a simple sore jaw.

donaldcon

Adventurer
Better yet remove the pin and pull the handle when not jacking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Used the hilift on the car a few times, hated using it, always tried to brace/crib the vehicle as much as possible and it still liked to shift around. I was ok with using it in conjunction with another person helping. Otherwise not a fan.

However, I loved using the hilift on moving small items, lifting, spreading etc. Thing was perfect for fine lifting control, like appliances, cabinets etc. Things with a low danger index ;). Quite useful on a construction site.

I prefer the 90s era Land Rover bottle jacks that articulate surprisingly high, the ones which have instead of a round head, have a y shaped yoke that is meant to cradle an axle, beam etc. Easy to use, so much safer. Those things are awesome.

Plus I hate trying to find a place to put the hilift.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Not sure where anyone's getting the idea that people are afraid of the hi-lift. Never got the feeling anyone was afraid of it, they're just very aware of it's limitations. It's dangerous for sure, but so are a lot of things. Having a respect for dangerous tools doesn't equal fear.

I bought one 20 years ago because I was naive and thought it was an essential tool to go off road. In that time I've only used it a few times, and mostly for purposes not related to cars. With older vehicles they may have been somewhat useful, but like anything with the new designs of vehicles the hi-lift is of limited usefulness. Even with older body on frame cars, they're functionality is limited without a myriad of special attachments to get full use out of them. By the time you buy everything needed to use the hi-lift, you probably could have gotten a better tool for the job. About the only function the hi lift is great at is jacking the rear end up and pushing sideways. But it's because of this very instability that makes it horrible for using as a jack for tire changing or repairs.

I still carry one in my off-road vehicle but mainly because I was sick of it always getting in my way in the garage so I built a mount for it. If I didn't already own one I probably wouldn't go out and buy one again

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
The last thing I used my hi lift for was removing a 6' t post buried to within 6" of the top. Still had to dig a bit to provide a stable platform for the larger than OEM base but it worked like a charm!

Lucky j

Explorer
Got my first hight lift in 99. A 48". Loved it so much, got a 60" when the yj got a 6" lift on 35 for trail use.

I have never used a bottle jack to change a tire but when it was my only option, or from my small suv DD and even then. Always in 4wd low when lifting or many wheel chuck, witch should also by used for any bottle jack. Will always try to tie up the acle with a 2 in loading strap before lifting, so I only need to lift about an 1" to change a tire. Always place the jack at a small angle toward the direction of the lift, at the most external corner of the vehicule I want to lift, in order to push the cog on the other 3 tires. It as never even tried to move on the jeep.

All my off road body as one, so when we need one, easy to find one. I'm the only one of that group that overland, and you bet I carry mine with me all the time.

Yes, we have to be carefull, but i know where the base of my highlift goes when it sinks in the mud of softer surface of a trail. Hard to know what is happening with a bottle jack when you have to laid under your truck to pump it up from under your axle.

And branch under a tire only work in a desert or a dry environnment. Does nothing good in a mudy wet dirt. Ask me how I know, maybe from before I got all of my recovery equipement line up over the years.

Ah and yep, good idea to keep that handle up. Remind you not to grab it to get back up on your feet, it could be ugly fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior