Feel free to share your emotions.

TeriAnn

Explorer
I'm no rover guy, and just drool over them here... I have to ask for my knowledge, is the darker green dorm fender's cut? Seems like it has a different cut than the other two pictured above.

The outer wing panels are stock European spec mid 1980's Defender. They bolt right to my 1960 Series inner wing panel and the bulkhead. That version of the outer wing panel does not have holes for side lights. All the others do. I had to make the cut for the Kodiak heater intake.

Defenders make good sources of parts for Series Land Rovers when the original Series part is NLA or you want to upgrade something. In my case I wanted a larger wheel cut out. The down side is that often the Defender part is inferior to the Series part. Like these genuine Land Rover wing panels are stamped from a slightly thinner alloy that is not as good as bermabright. It seems more susceptible to oxidation and I think it is a slightly softer alloy.

greenmeanie

Adventurer
Its a nice looking rig with a sensible air cleaner but I wonder why the air cleaner ended up on top of the wing. That's gotta cut the view of anything to the front right of the truck. When on the trail that just might be where you don't want to plant your tyres but you won't know because the air cleaner is blocking the view.

Doesn't having your spare on the bonnet block way more of the view than that air cleaner? Admittedly you can remove the spare if needed but I get the impression most people never really get round to doing that.

I'll certainly give you that yours is an aesthetically far more pleasing installation.

Crookthumb

Adventurer
Makes me wish I could purchase my uncle's '64 IIa. It is justing sitting on the farm in some building with a flat tire. He hasn't touched it for a while. Maybe one day I can convince him to sell it to me.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Makes me wish I could purchase my uncle's '64 IIa. It is justing sitting on the farm in some building with a flat tire. He hasn't touched it for a while. Maybe one day I can convince him to sell it to me.

Or you could offer to "fix" the flat tire, take it for a test drive and....well, from there you're on your own.
Jason T.

Crookthumb

Adventurer
Or you could offer to "fix" the flat tire, take it for a test drive and....well, from there you're on your own.
Jason T.

I have thought about that so many times. My cousin says it just sits there. Next time I am down that way I will have to do some scheming or at least take pictures to post.

michaelgroves

Explorer
Doesn't having your spare on the bonnet block way more of the view than that air cleaner? Admittedly you can remove the spare if needed but I get the impression most people never really get round to doing that.

I'll certainly give you that yours is an aesthetically far more pleasing installation.

My experience is that the spare wheel does restrict the view, but if you're a tall driver, you can see over it - there's line-of-sight between the top of the tyre, and the front-most edge of the bonnet or wing.

The air-cleaner being higher (or just as high), and further forward, means it will obscure your vision far more seriously.

Having said that, it's still going to offer better close-range ground visibility than trying to drive an old F250!

TeriAnn

Explorer

Actually it does on the stuff really close. But you sit high in a Land Rover and the bonnet is a several inches lower than the windscreen so it is not near as bad as it first appears to non Series owners. Visibility with the spare is similar to what I have seen on American pickups. That said I tend to remove the bonnet mounted spare when I'm doing technical trail work. Front near visibility is very good in a Series rig without the front mounted spare. If I ever find a US spec Defender type rear swing away that will work with a tail gate I would like the option of mounting the spare back there. Of course then it would mess up my rear vision.

One thing the spare tyre does is cut down the air flow through the scuttle vents. If the day is hot and you have the roof installed a good breeze through the scuttle vents is most welcome.

greenmeanie

Adventurer

One thing the spare tyre does is cut down the air flow through the scuttle vents. If the day is hot and you have the roof installed a good breeze through the scuttle vents is most welcome.

Oh yes and how I know that! I used to commute Phoenix to Tucson every day in my 88 and in the summer I ended up moving the spare inside the truck just for that reason. 120° days are just nasty but any airflow is better than none. My wife's one requirement on my 109 build is that it must have aircon.

78Bronco

Explorer
TheBoar02.jpg

that is quite the bong on your hood!:drool:

Are those tires new old stock? I love SAT's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12