Fender clearance

jjmoss99

Observer
I searched the forum for an answer but couldn't find one. I'm beginning the fender portion of my expedition trailer build and am trying to figure out if I have enough clearance between the tire and fenders. I had a smaller tire on during the build and when I realized that the tire that i'm planning on running is bigger I panicked. There is about 4 inches of clearance between the top of the tire and the fender and about 3 inches between the front and rear sides. I'm running a 3500 lb axle with 2000 lb springs. The fender is currently just tacked together and I can move stuff around but would prefer not to if I have sufficient clearance. Does anyone know how much movement the tire would make horizontally when it's flexed? I assume as the springs straighten from added weight they will move back some.

Here is a pic of the current layout of the fenders:

Fender.jpg

Thanks,

Justin

jjmoss99

Observer
So I was looking more for what the recommended clearances between the fender and tires should be for 2,000 lb springs. .

I decided that now is the time to add more clearance if i'm going to do it and if I don't I may regret it forever. I went to the shop this morning and it was about 15 degrees outside (got down to 12 over night, brrr). I didn't plan on being out there very long so I didn't light the stove and just powered through the cold. I ripped all the original fender off and rebuilt it with some more clearance. I now have around 4.75" of clearance all the way around the tire. I'm glad I took the time to do this right and not half-******** it.

Do people run bump stops between the frame and axle even if there is plenty of clearance? Thanks for the replies and help.

Justin

Fender2.jpg

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
As mentioned, if there is a clearance issue then shackles will easily take care of it. I actually have slightly less clearance on mine when loaded up and never had an issue. When I did my fenders I took the time to add about 300-400 pounds of weight to the trailer to plan out where they should be welded.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I don't run bump stops on any of our 3 trailers and never had an issue, even less of an issue if you intend to run shocks on the axle to reduce bounce.

jjmoss99

Observer
I like the idea of adding the weight. I have the axle exactly where i'd like it to be for the proper ride height in relation to the tow vehicle so I don't want to add longer shackles so I'll add some weight and see how it looks. If not, i'll rip it apart again and add more clearance. :)

I'm planning on running shocks but haven't began shopping for the shocks yet. Thanks.

Justin

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I like the idea of adding the weight. I have the axle exactly where i'd like it to be for the proper ride height in relation to the tow vehicle so I don't want to add longer shackles so I'll add some weight and see how it looks. If not, i'll rip it apart again and add more clearance. :)

I'm planning on running shocks but haven't began shopping for the shocks yet. Thanks.

Justin

Make sure when you do shop for shocks that you find a pair that were designed for a small car or the valving will be way too stiff to be effective and you will get a pogo stick effect.

PCO6

Adventurer
... I now have around 4.75" of clearance all the way around the tire. I'm glad I took the time to do this right and not half-******** it.

View attachment 322114
That sounds about right. I screwed 3 short pieces of 2x4's together, placed them on top of the tires, placed the fenders on top of the 2x4's and called it good. That's 4.5" vs. your 4.75" so we're in the same ball park. :)

jjmoss99

Observer
That sounds about right. I screwed 3 short pieces of 2x4's together, placed them on top of the tires, placed the fenders on top of the 2x4's and called it good. That's 4.5" vs. your 4.75" so we're in the same ball park. :)

I assume that you haven't had any issues with rubbing when fully loaded? Thanks.

Justin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears