Ferdinand (F450 Avion Build)

tierra.ex

Hello this is my super duty build "Ferdinand"

Arborist dump truck turned expedition truck.

Chassis
2003 Ford Super Duty F450 C&C 4x4
7.3 Power Stroke (stock) (83,000 miles)
ZF6 & NP271
4.88 (open front, LSD rear)
Extreme Outback belt driven air compressor (8cfm @100psi)
Custom tray & bike garage

Tires/Wheels/Suspension
Continental MPT81 335/80/20
Buckstop 20x11 steels
Bilstein 5100's (duals in front)
No lift (eventually 1" or so)

Camper
1970 Avion C11
in progress

IMG_6578.jpg

BD72FA22-3E8F-4791-8D88-EEBF8A9F6C59-7753-000004AC91FFAC2A.jpg

6A626FD7-DCAD-4046-9698-B1F9E1230C32-2716-0000006B1119C90E.JPG

Last edited:

tierra.ex

Avion is pretty much completely gutted and off the truck for now. Bathroom and all cabinetry is gone aside from the overheads which I’m gonna keep. Also gutted the entire back portion of the camper including the floor. (Lots of water damage)

Before it can go on the truck again:

- make a new entry door (can’t find a left hinge door to save my life)
- Rebuild the floor
- subframe with 4 camper jacks (going to make the camper removable for truck maintenance and long term camping)
- spare tire mount integrated to subframe

IMG_1310.jpeg

The fiberglass “ass” end of the camper is removed as well to make room for the subframe design.

IMG_1311.jpeg

The subframe will span the length of the camper and support the new floor while also providing the jack points to safely and securely lift the camper from the truck.

The current three jack system is super sketchy, lifting from the camper “wings” is also just not ideal.

Gonna make it super solid to live in on and off the truck :)

tierra.ex

Its hard not to love an Avion. Are you going to keep the AC up there?
Sure is an awesome piece of metal!

Lady and I have been debating the AC hard…

It still works, draws about 100a DC. I could throw a soft start on it and be able to use it during hot parts of the day (with solar input) and a few hours at night. Planning on a 400ah LiFePO4 bank… and 800w of Solar (though it’s not all pointing the same direction)

Other option is put a roof hatch/skylight in to make night photography easy and starlink deployment…

BajaSurfRig

I rebuilt and Avion years ago, since you are doing such an extensive build I’d spend a lot of time on making sure your shell is water proof. I did this but checking each rivet with a small suction cup (for picking up sheets of glass) to determine which rivets needs to get re-sealed. Then drilling out failed/ leaking rivets and replacing with mock buck rivets + 3M sealant of your choice. I also had some aluminum seams that were leaking (separate from the leaking rivets). Good luck and stoked to see this build come together!!

tierra.ex

IMG_9944.jpegIMG_0001.jpegI rebuilt and Avion years ago, since you are doing such an extensive build I’d spend a lot of time on making sure your shell is water proof. I did this but checking each rivet with a small suction cup (for picking up sheets of glass) to determine which rivets needs to get re-sealed. Then drilling out failed/ leaking rivets and replacing with mock buck rivets + 3M sealant of your choice. I also had some aluminum seams that were leaking (separate from the leaking rivets). Good luck and stoked to see this build come together!!

Thanks for the helpful Info!

Last year I sealed the main seams, window edges and old rivet heads with flex seal (roll on) in clear. It has been waterproof since. Used it all winter as a ski hut!

Though the 50 year old window up by the bed will let in snow while driving in a blizzard luckily the screen catches it. Lol

Also have been patching it up with aluminum sheet, sikaflex 252, rivets.
I had to patch and seal the propane fridge “chimney” and the black tank vents on the roof. Now they’re just covered by solar panels, didn’t take any photos before hand :/

The windows are definitely my next step on sealing the shell better
Did you replace your windows?

BajaSurfRig

Damn so epic you got to work on the Turtle V!!! Why not install a new DC to DC charger? Never replaced the windows before I sold the Avion but it was on the to do list.

Jds2835

Nice rig it looks good with the box behind the cab. I saw it on the 7.3 facebook group. Do your tires hit the front leaf springs on a full lock turn?

tierra.ex

Damn so epic you got to work on the Turtle V!!! Why not install a new DC to DC charger? Never replaced the windows before I sold the Avion but it was on the to do list.

Such a rad experience, they are wonderful people.

The truck has a dedicated second alternator with a Balmar alternator(charge) regulator for just the camper batteries. The batteries are capable of receiving up to 300A of charge input. I don’t remember specific charge numbers from their system but 250A is not uncommon. We chose to go that route vs dcdc because of the existing dedicated alt with a lithium capable regulator.

Im thinking I’m gonna patch them and then install some smaller tern “bunk” windows

tierra.ex

Nice rig it looks good with the box behind the cab. I saw it on the 7.3 facebook group. Do your tires hit the front leaf springs on a full lock turn?
Thanks!
No they don’t, this is due to the dually adapters. They’re like a big wheel spacer

tierra.ex

Went out and camped on the flatbed for the meteor shower last weekend. Love that this spot on Peavine is only 30 minutes(on dirt) from home

A2B36A0F-6484-4E8D-BB55-1CB1F89A42AC-562-0000001C68F930AE.jpeg

Attachments

• A2B36A0F-6484-4E8D-BB55-1CB1F89A42AC-562-0000001C68F930AE.jpeg
    A2B36A0F-6484-4E8D-BB55-1CB1F89A42AC-562-0000001C68F930AE.jpeg
    744.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan