FG best value truck?

haven

Expedition Leader
Dodge?

805gregg, which Dodge are you referring to?

"Better" is a value judgement, but "stronger" and "for less money" can be evaluated more objectively.

Chip Haven

Explorer
805gregg said:
Dodge is better, stronger and a much better engine for less money.

Fleet owners are moving towards Fuso and isuzu in the medium duty truck sector and away from domestic trucks.

This is based on payload ability and cost of ownership.

There are many reasons to own a pickup, stronger and cheaper isn't one of them.

CF-Transplant

805gregg said:
Dodge is better, stronger and a much better engine for less money.

With the fuel pump issues with 2000-2002 Dodge, engine issues with 2005-2008 I would read the TDR site (Turbo Diesel Register) first. The Dodge payload is low compared to the Fuso. Heck the Dodge with a 8 foot overhead is over gross wt.

jhrodd

Adventurer
My FE has been fantastic, it's a daily driver/work truck for me with the stake sides on it. I've put about 26,000 miles on it in 2 years and other than a couple of little recall items have had 0 problems. It is very quiet, I'm always surprised by how noisy the Dodge or GM diesel pickups are when they pull along side.

Gold Boy

Adventurer
jhrodd said:
My FE has been fantastic, it's a daily driver/work truck for me with the stake sides on it. I've put about 26,000 miles on it in 2 years and other than a couple of little recall items have had 0 problems. It is very quiet, I'm always surprised by how noisy the Dodge or GM diesel pickups are when they pull along side.

nice

theMec

Adventurer
CF-Transplant said:
Dodge, engine issues with 2005-2008 I would read the TDR site (Turbo Diesel Register) first.
I read the DTR site (Diesel Truck Resource - the free answer to TDR) very regularly and have NOT heard of 2005 engine (5.9L) problems. Do you mean the new 6.7L engine (2006-2008)?
Thanks.

DontPanic42

Adventurer
I am a bit late getting to this discussion but I thought I would show you how I mounted my living module on the FG. I would say it qualifies as a 4 point system. Instead of springs up front, we used 2 airbags from the cab of a Freightliner. Shocks are used to to restrict vertical movement and roll.
2153391470054322218S600x600Q85.jpg

The rear has a traditional mounting. This setup gives me yaw, pitch, and some roll. So far since early spring of 2004, I have only had one failure. A broken shock which I was able to compensate for by adjusting air pressure.
Just another way to get the job done

Bajaroad

Adventurer
Air Springs

Bruce, thanks for sharing.

I'm planning on using air springs in my design too, but in a different way. Since the air springs offer no lateral support, how do you keep your camper stable from side to side in the front? - is that achieved solely through your rear mounting?

I've always like the Casita Trailers - well built but not too heavy. Do you know how much your complete rig weighs?

-Brent
new 07FG
old Wanderlodge FC31

DontPanic42

Adventurer
Brent,
The last time I weighed my rig it was just shy of 10,000 lbs. with me in it. I have added a few hundred more pounds ( to the truck, not me) but I estimate I am still under 11,000 lbs. loaded. I need to get it down to the scales again. I like to carry an offical weigh slip when I travel.
I use another shock running at an angle from near the top of the curb side airbag to below the travel side bag. It limits the side to side travel.
I have tried to upload a closeup that shows the shock locations better but I haven't had any luck. I'll try to get it posted later today.
success!

2129481410101252971S500x500Q85.jpg

The large hex head bolts are the mounts for the shock that acts as an antisway bar. When the rig is moving, the Casita looks like it is floating. Interesting sight from the back.

Thanks for the interest.
Bruce

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
I like that setup. What's the radiator(?) down by the frame?
Where's the step in the frame in your picture?

DontPanic42

Adventurer
The small radiator is the transmission cooler. If you follow back on the subframe attached to the RV from the airbag, you will see it curves downward. The total drop in the frame is below the pressure gauges. I used a half inch piece of oak between the mainframe and subframe that attaches to the RV frame. That way there isn't metal on metal contact. Makes it a bit quieter when everything is moving around. I soaked the oak in a mixture of linseed oil and mineral spirts. Probably need to brush it down again.
Bruce

eMULe

Sub Frame Attachment

Is the sub frame riding on the oak pieces 'U' shaped or rectangular? Does it have cross members? Does it run the full length of the Fuso frame & how is this sub frame attached to the Fuso frame?

It looks like really nice fabrication and would certainly isolate the trailer from the 'twisties'.

Brian
N New Mexico

DontPanic42

Adventurer
The oak strips are flat pieces rescued from old pallets. I like to recycle. They run the full length of the frame.
No x-members except the original ones on the FUSO chassis and the RV frame.
Tabs were welded on the subframe and then bolted to the FUSO frame. No new holes were made in the original frame. No welding either. Fenders, storage boxes, etc., are welded to the subrame with only bolts in the FUSO chassis. Actually, most everything is hung off the subframe and floats. Guess I should draw up some illustrations. Black on black parts don't photograph so well.
B

Mobryan

Adventurer
GB, remember, that which is overkill in BC is merely sufficent in west Texas. Unless he means West, Texas, which is a different matter :costumed-smiley-007 :costumed-smiley-007 :costumed-smiley-007

:D

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears