FG Cab creature comforts/electrics...HALP!...and a trick of mine.

skippythedog

Observer
RE: 2007 FG 140:

What can we do to improve the interior comforts of the FG (aside from seats, window tint, insulation etc.)?

In particular, I'm referring to the electrics and trinket storage...I figure I need at least 3-4 12volt plug ins (gps, phone chargers, dash cam etc.) in addition to the cigarette lighter which is in a poor place to plug stuff in anyway.

What's the best way to do this? I thought I'd run a big bus bar w/ a cable back to some big amp connection on or near the battery....or is there an unused fuse that will support 3-4 of these low amperage accessories?

Are there any places on the dash (inside the passenger cubby/shelf perhaps) to mount some cigarette style plugs?
Any tricky blind trim screws or tabs that make it difficult to pull the plastic out of the cab?
Any part numbers for switches that fit the dash holes?

Does anyone make a console that retrofits overhead?
Will the screws or metal supports in the cab roof support something like that? Molded from Kydex maybe?
Is there a cool way/location to mount 2 more speakers?
Is there a way to add storage?....I was thinking of fabbing up a shallow, wide nylon bag that would hang behind the passengers feet at the base of the bench seat, or perhaps a small console suspended across and just above the dash between the lower grab handle screws...

Thanks for reading this far....here's my little trick: I replaced my grab handle screws with this 1" ball mount by RAM, replacing their 8mm bolts with 6mm Allen bolts w/ an aluminum washer......a swiveling drink holder by RAM is the first big benefit for the passenger..... https://youtu.be/Pmc4kOuZSN4

skippythedog

Observer
just click on the youtube link at the bottom of my post....then envision that ball mount where your grab handle screws are...and then you can mount anything that RAM makes...or anything that you can bolt to one of their brackets. Their link is here: http://www.rammount.com/

Great accounting of your build!....I've just given it a cursory look thus far....I'm very surprised about the wheel design and lack of lugcentric or hubcentric centering....crap engineering. I wonder what their rationale is? .....I had concluded that their design was the best.....rethinking that now, but I sure would like to increase my tire diameter to drop a couple hundred rpm on the road...

Last edited:

Iowa Al

Skip the old-school cigarette ports and mount a couple usb ports. I would post a link but I don't seem to have permission.

Last edited:

Bris31

Adventurer
.................. Does anyone make a console that retrofits overhead?

I attached my 8" tablet (for maps) on rear view mirror - that was useless because of camper at the back. Tablet is attached to the mirror by velcro tape so it can detached when not required. Mirror is further secured by a chain bolted to ceiling, in case the ball comes out of socket on corrugated road. I fixed a dual USB socket next to cabin light and it gets power from cabin light cable. It runs both the tablet and the front dash cam. It is simple solution that works for me ok.

Attachments

• Tablet Holder.jpg
    Tablet Holder.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 13

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy

What can we do to improve the interior comforts of the FG (aside from seats, window tint, insulation etc.)?

In particular, I'm referring to the electrics and trinket storage...I figure I need at least 3-4 12volt plug ins (gps, phone chargers, dash cam etc.) in addition to the cigarette lighter which is in a poor place to plug stuff in anyway.

What's the best way to do this? I thought I'd run a big bus bar w/ a cable back to some big amp connection on or near the battery....or is there an unused fuse that will support 3-4 of these low amperage accessories?

Are there any places on the dash (inside the passenger cubby/shelf perhaps) to mount some cigarette style plugs?
Any tricky blind trim screws or tabs that make it difficult to pull the plastic out of the cab?
Any part numbers for switches that fit the dash holes?

Does anyone make a console that retrofits overhead?
Will the screws or metal supports in the cab roof support something like that? Molded from Kydex maybe?
Is there a cool way/location to mount 2 more speakers?
Is there a way to add storage?....I was thinking of fabbing up a shallow, wide nylon bag that would hang behind the passengers feet at the base of the bench seat, or perhaps a small console suspended across and just above the dash between the lower grab handle screws...

Thanks for reading this far....here's my little trick: I replaced my grab handle screws with this 1" ball mount by RAM, replacing their 8mm bolts with 6mm Allen bolts w/ an aluminum washer......a swiveling drink holder by RAM is the first big benefit for the passenger..... https://youtu.be/Pmc4kOuZSN4

I'll post some photos, but I ran a piece of aluminum square tube across the top of the dash (maybe 3 inches up) that I bolt all kinds of gadgets to with RAM mounts. I put a tab on each of the A pillar grab handles at the lower screws and ran it between them.

I also eliminated the little storage hole in the center of the dash (where the radio and heater controls are) and replaced with 3 12V ports.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Couple of quick snaps of our canter
image.jpg
Camera rear vision mirror 9 inch

image.jpg
3 cigarette sockets and 4 USB outlets and dimm radio access USB on console and dash

And of course in Australia we have plenty of room for stubby holders.
Cheers
Steve

skippythedog

Observer
Rear view mirror? wutz dat?:drool: I can see I'm going to have to peel off the inner skins and see what steel and threaded holes await me.....and stick some sound deadener in there while I'm at it...

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Rear view mirror? wutz dat?:drool: I can see I'm going to have to peel off the inner skins and see what steel and threaded holes await me.....and stick some sound deadener in there while I'm at it...

I added a r1 piece of insulation wool above the liner which deadened the sound and stops some heat.

blackduck

Explorer
cab sml.jpgcabin pan.jpg

consoles roof and floor all hand made
thick carpet liner under ski boat carpet deadens the noise a tad
good stereo with lots of speakers - loud music cant hear the truck at all

Decanter

Adventurer
There is room in my 2013 behind the glove box for putting USB power, behind the passenger side access panel to mount an auxiliary fuse block to power these USB and room overhead for a lot of things...
GloveBoxUSB.JPG
The aluminum is there because I can't measure right until after I cut :)
BlueSea.JPG
Simple bracket fabrication fitted the fuse block
CB FUSO.JPG
A little bending of some aluminum bar stock and I was able to fab a mount for the radio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears