FG chip tuning in the USA?

FGwannaB

Looking for a place to do a chip tune on my 2004 Mit FG in the USA. I updated suspension and went w super singles and power decreased a bit. It's not terrible, but it was much better with OEM wheels. Steinbauer won't service USA. I'd like to squeeze out a wee bit more power for the uphills. Mit 4D34/FG639 3.9L.

Attachments

• fuso 09 08 23.jpg
    fuso 09 08 23.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 7

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I don't think that a chip tune is possible on that model.
Yes, it does have an ECU, but the ECU is very basic and does not control all that much.
From memory, this model has a mechanical fuel injection system with it's own Bosch controller.

You might want to have a chat with @Aussie Iron as he has a lot of experience with this generation of truck.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
"SkiFreak" I believe is on the mark. No chip tune available.
To my knowledge, yes it is a mechanical pump with built in internal electrical control and not adjustable. (I would like to be wrong on this.) There are a few truck here that I have knowledge of that are suffering from injection pump problems. My suggestion would be to dump the pump and fit a full mechanical pump. This way you could adjust fuel. Would there be other issues then ? I haven't looked any further into this as no-one has wanted to go that far yet.

Dan.

kerry

Expedition Leader
If that has the 4d34t engine then I believe ski freak is correct. But I thought by 2004 Fuso had switched to a different engine in the USA. No? What speeds are you seeing? Our stock wheeled 99 FG tops out around 67mph on the flat. 30-35 climbing Colorado's mountain passes. Enjoy the scenery

FGwannaB

Dang. Oh well. Prior to the super singles and 37 x 13.5 tires i could keep 60 +- up hill, 70 on flats. Now it's closer to 40 mph uphill but 73-75 on flats. Larger diameter tires resulted in higher flat terrain speed but the extra weight decreased hill speed as expected. I have the box on now but it's not built out yet so I'm guessing fully built out speed will be similar to what Kerry stated: 30-35 climbing, 67ish on the flats. I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere when driving the FUSO so it's all good. I appreciate the input fellows.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Dang. Oh well. Prior to the super singles and 37 x 13.5 tires i could keep 60 +- up hill, 70 on flats. Now it's closer to 40 mph uphill but 73-75 on flats. Larger diameter tires resulted in higher flat terrain speed but the extra weight decreased hill speed as expected. I have the box on now but it's not built out yet so I'm guessing fully built out speed will be similar to what Kerry stated: 30-35 climbing, 67ish on the flats. I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere when driving the FUSO so it's all good. I appreciate the input fellows.
Im pretty close to 12k lbs although I have a pop up camper so not as much wind resistance as you. Be prepared for Wyoming. On a windy day there you'll be lucky to make 30 mph. I've been there when with the pedal to the floor I could barely hold 45mph.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears