Fg cruise control?

yabanja

Explorer
My wife has strongly endorsed the fg camper project but she has laid down some requirements. One of these is that it have cruise control. Mine is a 2000 fg639 swb. It is not equipped with cruise. I am a big fan of keeping it factory and was wondering if any of these had cruise from the factory? If so, is it possible to retrofit a factory cruise system to a vehicle that didn't have it to begin with? If not, my second option would be aftermarket. Has anyone installed an aftermarket system? Any Feedback or brand preference?

Allan

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Allan,

Sorry. No factory cruise......... but have installed aftermarket cruise to an FG 637 ( should be the same as 639) . You'll have to find an older analogue type generic cruise kit. Ours was an Autron kit that came with a Hall effect speed sensor for the tail shaft. This is an Aussie brand so you'll have to chase up something there but just letting you know that it has been successfully done before.

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
I installed an electric cruise control system on the CAT 3208 in my Wanderlodge motorhome. Not very difficult. However, it had a mechanical accelerator linkage. Your 2000 is drive by wire so that system won't work. My recollection is that there were only two basic options for non-vacuum cruise controls when I installed mine about 8 yrs ago. One was a very expensive semi-truck system--maybe brand name King. The other was what I used but I can't recall the brand name. I can try to find that out.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
This is my cruise control.

I have a used throttle cable out of a Cessna 152 that I'm planning on installing as an upgrade to this method. All the Army truck I used to drive had hand throttles.

101562873-260x260-0-0_Irwin+Xp600+One+Handed+Bar+Clamp+Spreader+12.jpg

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
This is my cruise control.
I have a used throttle cable out of a Cessna 152 that I'm planning on installing as an upgrade to this method. All the Army truck I used to drive had hand throttles.

I have the same thing sitting in my 'parts box', an aircraft vernier hand throttle, but since the Fuso is drive by wire, how do you plan on connecting it? To directly to the the foot throttle?
I used an 'ex-military' hand throttle with great success on my FJ40 as a poor man's cruise control (aka: simple), but that of course could connect directly to the carb.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Anyone experimented with the manual throttle/idle control as a cruise control on the drive by wire Fuso? Don't know what the maximum rpm is off that manual throttle.

pugslyyy

I have the same thing sitting in my 'parts box', an aircraft vernier hand throttle, but since the Fuso is drive by wire, how do you plan on connecting it? To directly to the the foot throttle?
I used an 'ex-military' hand throttle with great success on my FJ40 as a poor man's cruise control (aka: simple), but that of course could connect directly to the carb.
Yes, to the foot throttle. I'm happier just doing a mechanical mod v. Electro-mechanical. Of course I haven't actually done it yet so may change my tune when the time comes to actually do it.

pugslyyy

Anyone experimented with the manual throttle/idle control as a cruise control on the drive by wire Fuso? Don't know what the maximum rpm is off that manual throttle.
It is pretty low, and only seems to function in neutral. Would love for it to be an option but not sure how viable that is.

westyss

Explorer
It is pretty low, and only seems to function in neutral. Would love for it to be an option but not sure how viable that is.

I think the manual idle control is speed sensitive, I use the idle control in 4 lo first gear and can set engine rpm to do a slow crawl, so my guess is that it is linked to the speed sensor(if there is one, pretty sure there is) not sure how fast I can go or what rpm it goes to before going back to idle, maybe someone smart can disconnect the speed sensor from the idle control?? Also the idle if I remember goes above 2000rpm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior