FG637 Exhaust

Thylacoleo

Ive just got back from my first big trip, went up to Cairns to view the eclipse.

I'm pretty happy with the way the truck went. However a wee bit more power would be welcome on hills and for those moments when there is a B-Double sitting on my tail! The truck is an ex-ambulance with the aerodynamics of a brick so 100 km/hr is top speed under normal conditions.
I need to reroute the exhaust slightly to fit a rear water tank but I'm wondering whether to fit a 3 inch exhaust at the same time, will i get any power benefit or is the restriction further upstream? Haven't ruled out a turbo if i can get one but I'd like to look at the cheaper options first. I'm not looking for a massive performance gain, an extra 10 km/h would be fine.

Thanks for any advice that members may be able to offer.

cheers, Gareth

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
If you're only getting 100 Kph, I am guessing that you are still running the standard wheels.
Going to a bigger wheel will probably give you a better top end, and it will likely be more fuel efficient too.

If you are interested in doing a SWC (single wheel conversion) then Alan does some very nice 16" alloy rims and ATW do some 19.5 rims.
If you are going to go with the bigger exhaust then doing so from the manifold is advisable. Problem with that is you would also need to source a 3" exhaust brake. The turbo would most likely give you the best outcome, power wise, but as you have eluded to, this is a more expensive option. The folk at Turbo-Glide near Wollongong would probably be the people to talk with, should you want to go down that path.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger