FGs for sale

kerry

Expedition Leader
What's the purpose of the 'thing' which runs across the truck at the bottom of the windshield? I saw a couple of those on trucks in Australia and couldn't figure out what it was supposed to do. Stop something from coming thru the windshield?

Also, it has an overhead compartment with storage on the passenger side and radio and gauges mounted on driver's side. Is that a commercially available aftermarket add-on in Australia? It matches the truck quite well but it doesn't look quite original.

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
What's the purpose of the 'thing' which runs across the truck at the bottom of the windshield?
It's a stone guard.
Personally, I do not know how beneficial these things are, but I have seen them fitted to quite a few different types of vehicles.

Also, it has an overhead compartment with storage on the passenger side and radio and gauges mounted on driver's side. Is that a commercially available aftermarket add-on in Australia
It is a custom made roof console.
I will be making something similar for my truck, but that is pretty low on the priority list at this time.

ATW make and sell a similar console which is made of fibreglass, but theirs is not what I would call cheap.

Given all of the other work that this truck has had done by ATW, I would not be surprised if this was not something that they made and fitted.

Those prices are insane. And here I thought we were being shafted with prices in South Africa!

I just bought a brand new 2017 model FG retailing at the local dealer for 33,000 USD.

In saying that we do not get the facelift model with auto transmission here.

Bris31

Adventurer
What's the purpose of the 'thing' which runs across the truck at the bottom of the windshield?

That stone guard can be useful, now I know it. In our last trip (Simpson) I had a stone hit my front windscreen just below the wiper. We were on the sealed road near Quilpe and it was hurled by a passing ute. It was a nasty crack and luckily I had glass repair kit and Dan on hand. It took a while to seal it with the glue. If there was a stone guard, it would have saved our time. Or very possibly I could have a shattered front windshield, a ruined trip because it was outback on a Sat and a new screen would have taken few days to come through.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I wouldn't fit one to my Canter as it interferes with view when off road and the chance of totally wrecking a laminated screen that you would be held up on a trip I would have to see to believe. And yes I do have one on my Prime mover. Canter windscreens are cheap.

Dan.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I wouldn't fit one to my Canter as it interferes with view when off road...

The trick would be to design a hinge that allowed for the screen to be in front of the window when you are on the road and then be able to lower it so that it did not obscure the forward view when off-road.
Built lots of custom hinges over the years, so if I get some time I might look further into this.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Don't really want to be a wet blanket here, but we should try and keep this thread for its intended purpose, that being trucks for sale.
Yeah, I know... I am at fault here too.

Please start a new thread to discuss other stuff.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I'd think long and hard before buying the Ithaca truck. Right in the middle of the salt belt. :) But the claim of 50mpg on vegetable oil is really what puts me off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior