FG's in Action

Taemian

There is a good explanation this. Well ....................
3542168284_a23196f01d_b.jpg

Now this is what I like to see! I knew someone else had to be crazy enough to try it. Gotta get more grunt for mine. Daily driven domestic diesel trucks are sporting 500hp at the wheels around here, 700hp at the wheels with minor mods. Quater miles of low 13s to mid 12s. Anyone know who this is in the photo?

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Taemian,

It was me but unfortunately nothing so glamorous as your portrayal.......just doing some brake testing for our DoT compliance. Hence the 3 ton of concrete blocks and the fifth wheel. It's just that the drag strip is a good safe venue to do the testing and we also need a long, smooth and level straight.

Sorry to deflate your balloon.

Did have a very fun time at the track today though .......ATW and Fuso staff and a couple of mutual VIPs.

So technically these pics are not OT if some of the driver's work for FUSO, I guess. Hahaha :smiley_drive:
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
This photo probably belongs somewhere else but anyway:

slide_276511_2018939_free.jpg

This is what happens when a fuso gets covered in water during a firefighting operation in freezing Chicago

Attachments

• slide_276511_2018939_free.jpg
    slide_276511_2018939_free.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 30

mab

Observer
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Saw these pretty maids all in a row,this morning on my way home from the dump. Someone has had the big cheque book out! Can anyone enlighten me to the function of the yellow ring on the front wheels? An extra step up into the cab?

blackduck

Explorer
could be
on closer inspection the outer ring is made from chequer plate
and you know the mining fraternity - OH&S mad
it probably prevents the occupants from jumping out of the cab and hurting themselves.
which reminds me of a funny story
I pulled into Munduberra (central Qld) at about 3am in a 700 series Hino pulling a 46' taughtliner
this thing was 3 steps to the cab floor then the height of the seat a good 2.5 meters of the ground
a sobering drunk resting in the park asked me if i could give him a lift to eidsvold (the next town up the road) he looked harmless so why not
when we got there I was just about to say "mind how you get out" when he flung the door open, swung his legs out and launched himself (like he was getting out of a hilux)
"CRASH" he managed to break his leg, protruding bone and all
it was hilarious - tragic, but funny as, the look on his face as it disapeared over the edge was priceless, that "where has the ground gone" look
well i enjoyed it anyway.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
could be
on closer inspection the outer ring is made from chequer plate
and you know the mining fraternity - OH&S mad
it probably prevents the occupants from jumping out of the cab and hurting themselves..

Actually this has me a bit stumped..BMA mines here .....and they seem to be the main driver of mining safety in Australia have stated that no entry/egress point can be more than 400 mm from the ground so that's why they require modification BUT those rings were deemed dangerous nearly ten years back cause so many people slipped off them and twisted ankles......almost certain they are not ADR compliant anymore and I can't see any OHS officer ever giving them a tick of approval.......could be interesting when the customer takes delivery and tries to get them through the front gate. "Please explain"

ATW 's Minesite approved Isuzu cab entry >>>
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Itchy Feet

"Designed specifically for self recovery, hub capstans bolt directly onto the wheel rims and with a cable attached, the capstan winds up the line and hauls the vehicle out as the wheels spin. To overcome the effect of the axle differential, two capstans must be used simultaneously. Hub capstans can pull a vehicle free in both directions, are lightweight, easy to operate, very effective and are inexpensive. Because only a portion of the wheel nuts secure the capstan, it is not necessary to jack up the vehicle to remove them and therefore a single set can be used by a number of common vehicles."

dont know much about it just remember them on landrover 101 forward controls when i was a kid growing up in kenya where where is really bad black cotton mud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger