Fiat 500L coming to USA this Summer

haven

Expedition Leader
The 500L is the next step in Fiat's plan to establish itself in the North American market. It's a subcompact SUV, about the same size as a Mini Countryman, Honda Fit or Kia Soul. To start, North America will get a 1.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder gas engine that uses Fiat's MultiAir technology to produce 158 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque. The European 500L has a couple of nice diesel powerplant options, but it's unlikely we will see them in USA. AWD is another option we may see in future years, but not this Summer.

Fiat500L-front_zps18c80cd8.jpg

Fiat500L-rear_zps0973ac00.jpg

The 500L platform is expected to be the basis of a new SUV model for Jeep. It remains to be seen if Jeep will install the 4x4 system from the Fiat Panda.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
I think it's a neat vehicle, but but aesthetically, it's not my personal cup of tea. Love the size, great engine—just not a fan of the styling. Just my two cents.

- Andy

ZMagic97

Explorer
Not a bad looking little car. I myself couldn't have one for my type of driving; I commute 75 miles round trip to work on open highway where the speed limit is 75MPH. I wouldn't feel safe doing that in this car. However, if I just drove around town or city streets, this would be ideal. I feel this way about most smaller European cars, since it seems like the demand for this design is higher there than here in the US.

However, keep in mind I'm all about being is efficient and Eco-friendly as possible as long as I can feel comfortable and safe driving it. For something that is economical, comfortable, inexpensive, and able to have storage room, something like the turbo diesel Jetta Wagon is more for me.

All that aside, I do like the way it looks. Much nicer than this little cars they have running around here now. They look awkward to me.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
It's probably better @ 75mph than any American counterpart. Besides, it's the Punto chassis, which had models with top speeds up to about 130mph. I'm sure it's just fine @ 75. :)

It's about time 'Murica stopped being so gluttonous and dropped this fantasy where every soccer mom has to be driving a V8 or a V10 land barge. We need more vehicles like this. Much more engaging and lighter on the dino juice.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Would be nice with AWD, otherwise it'll just blend with all the other useless tall "cutesy" FWD sub-utes.

I hope Jeep brings over their version of the panda with AWD. That'll be my gf's next car.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I'm not afraid of how it drives at 75, I'm afriad of how well it would survive being rear ended on a freeway where everywone is doing at least 75.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears