Fiberglass Box??

ndtroutslayer

Any thoughts on using one of these on the back of a truck for a small camper?

View attachment 142138

(in case the picture doesn't upload, here is a link to the website)

http://www.pot-belly.com/index.htm

It is on the smaller size, but I have a 1957 Jeep FC 150 that doesn't have a lot of room on the back of it. I am in the process of swapping the 4 cylinder gas engine out in it with an OM 617 mercedes diesel in it while keeping the 4 wheel drive in tact.

View attachment 142139

I am sure the fiberglass is on the thin side as it is a hunting blind, but one could 'glass some aluminum ribs to the walls and with insulation in it, should sturdy things up some. I like the fact that it is only 190 lbs and for $1925, it would save a ton of time building molds and such.

I would opt for the double belly. With some planning, should be able to squeeze a small sink and cook top in the front and 2 fold down bunks on the sides.

Any thoughts?

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Make sure you add some weight to the back of your FC150 especially with a Mercedes diesel up front. Would they custom make that blind to fit your bed? From what I remember of my FC170 that I had years ago it had an odd size bed. Lets see some pictures of your FC150.:victory:

brushogger

Explorer
Make sure you add some weight to the back of your FC150 especially with a Mercedes diesel up front. Would they custom make that blind to fit your bed? From what I remember of my FC170 that I had years ago it had an odd size bed. Lets see some pictures of your FC150.:victory:

This or you will be doing reverse wheelies in 4 low (until the axle shaft snaps). My old bud's fc-100 would do it easily with the stock 4cyl and an empty bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndtroutslayer

I emailed the company today to see what shipping would be like on one of the blinds. The dimensions for the 2 person blind or the double belly as they call it, would be perfect. I tried uploading a pic earlier today, but for some reason it only showed up as a link. Will upload some to Flikr or photobucket tomorrow and get a few pics and if I decide to go the deer blind route, will start a build thread.

As far as weight, it had the recall done where they added a suitcase weight to the back of the frame. The FC 150's are based on a modified CJ2/CJ5 frame and have a shorter wheelbase than your FC170 and had a tendency of flipping end over end when going down steep-ish hills. I figure between the weight of the completed camper (deer blind or other) and the chunk of iron the threw on the back, I should be good to go. I would be doing more local camping rather than cross country trips in it. Speed limit here in North Dakota is 75 on the interstates and state highways are mostly 70mph, so the farther I take it, the more I will be shot the stink-eye for holding up traffic.

There was a similar thread on here of a guy in Canada who did the OM617 conversion with a Trillium camper on the back of his FC 170, but he had the wheelbase to accommodate the longer camper.

http://http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/33737-1963-Jeep-%28Willys-FC170%29-with-a-1976-Trillium-%28Boler%29

He has the build thread link in that post. Pretty impressive. Mine is a little worst off than his when he first got it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears