Fiberglass M416/M100 Military-style Trailer Tub Kit

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I found another use for the chuck wagon... I've been meaning to get around to trimming a few low branches off this large cedar tree by the garage, but my ladder is at the other house. To bring the ladder over I need to use either a trailer or the Suburban, the ladder is too long to fit in the Jeep. Doing that hasn't been convenient lately, so I decided to use the chuck wagon as my work platform. I put a movers blanket on the top so falling branches didn't scratch the paint, and with the rear stabilizer jacks down the trailer made a very nice platform for tree maintenance this morning :).

YardWork_zpsm5trenht.jpg

JOSX2

Observer
whoa...I just stumbled across this thread (read the last 10 pages...too long to start from very beginnign right now!). I'm amazed! Love this set up!! I'm trying to think of a way to make a trailer/RTT combo on the 'cheap', and this looks like what I'd like to do! Definitely looking forward to any future work you do on this.....ya got my gears spinning now! gonna be scrounging craigslist for military trailers ;)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
whoa...I just stumbled across this thread (read the last 10 pages...too long to start from very beginnign right now!). I'm amazed! Love this set up!! I'm trying to think of a way to make a trailer/RTT combo on the 'cheap', and this looks like what I'd like to do! Definitely looking forward to any future work you do on this.....ya got my gears spinning now! gonna be scrounging craigslist for military trailers ;)

Best of luck finding a used military trailer "on the cheap" that's in good condition... here's one I saw the other day, I think they wanted $400 for it.

DinootCandidate_zpsmoefh0pq.jpg

Cheap ones that don't need lots of restoration do come up once in a while, but most of the cheap ones I've seen would take a lot of work to get into decent shape.

Speaking of cheap, I've got less than $200 in the chuck wagon top - all five of the hatches cost me less than $100 total, the wood was less than $50, add a few pieces of hardware (hinges, latches, gas strut) and the finish (Behr Deckover) and as it is right now it's less than $200. It would take less than $100 more to finish the interior with the compartments I've posted drawings of.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The chuck wagon top got called up for cargo service this weekend. I haven't built the inside compartments yet but that worked out well - the open hatches make it very easy to reach in and store or arrange cargo all the way up front without having to climb inside the trailer.

ChuckWagonCargo1_zps9b6cmvb4.jpg

ChuckWagonCargo2_zpst2owapkm.jpg

(I posted this in another one of my threads yesterday but meant to post it here so I moved it here this morning and deleted it there)

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I regularly get requests from people wanting me to mold them a fiberglass cover/tent platform for their M-Series Dinoot trailer like the one I made for mine:

WithRetro3_zps6c77f0f3.jpg

I came across a listing on eBay that may be an option for some of these people: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272280848191?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT.

s-l1600.jpg

The listing is for an aluminum military trailer cover for $800 and it appears that he offers free shipping and will make the cover to the size you specify (for example, the exactly fit a Dinoot M-series). I communicated with the seller and he says it comes with a handle; he can supply hinges, latches and gas struts for $130 extra. When I asked him if it's strong enough to support a roof-top tent, he replied "Easily strong enough can walk on it all day".

I don't know anything about this seller other than what I see in the listing and the answers he gave me to the two questions, but for those who want a cover similar to mine and don't want to build it from scratch themselves, this might be a good option to explore.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few years ago I built a proof-of-concept chuck wagon top for the trailer. It consisted of four sides that bolted together and go between the tub and the cover:

MDoneRiser_zpse63v1eme.jpg

KitchenConcept1_zps3fjtjfgk.jpg

Being built as a proof-of-concept, it wasn't something I planned to make use of myself, I built it mainly to show how a Dinoot M-series could be outfitted for camping or to carry more cargo. It's time to make more storage room here, so if anyone has a Dinoot M-series (or it wouldn't be hard to adapt these parts to an original military trailer), I'll offer the chuck wagon parts for sale. Included would be the four bolt-together sides as shown in this photo (the lid isn't included, building a lid from plywood would be an easy project).

ChuckWagonShell_zpsqrbsewi1.jpg

I didn't finish the inside of the compartments, so you could finish them to your own needs. I posted several concept drawings with different compartment ideas earlier in the thread.

CompartmentIdeas_zpst2puucbh.jpg

InsideViewConcept2_zpsxqmphfvv.jpg

ITTOG

@jscherb,
If I remember correctly you previously provided details on a book you read to help learn how to fiberglass. If you don't mind can you post it again. I cant find it now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ITTOG

I have one of the books you recommended on order but couldn't find the boat building one since it doesn't appear to be in circulation. However I found similar books so I purchased two others. I guess I will have a lot of reading to do soon. I also bought a small kit to begin working with. Not sure what I will make but I will try something. The first thing I want to make is a cover for my hot tub. The hot tub is 7' x 10', so the cover will be at least one foot larger on each side. After that a roof for my 6'x12' v-nose cargo trailer. Who knows after that.

I also started reviewing your thread on tventuring (on page 20). Wow, what a goldmine. Thank you for all the information you share. Is it okay if I ask you questions in this thread or do you prefer I set up an account on tventuring?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I have one of the books you recommended on order but couldn't find the boat building one since it doesn't appear to be in circulation. However I found similar books so I purchased two others. I guess I will have a lot of reading to do soon. I also bought a small kit to begin working with. Not sure what I will make but I will try something. The first thing I want to make is a cover for my hot tub. The hot tub is 7' x 10', so the cover will be at least one foot larger on each side. After that a roof for my 6'x12' v-nose cargo trailer. Who knows after that.

I also started reviewing your thread on tventuring (on page 20). Wow, what a goldmine. Thank you for all the information you share. Is it okay if I ask you questions in this thread or do you prefer I set up an account on tventuring?
Please feel free to ask me questions here, I'm sure there are others here who may be interested in learning a bit about fiberglass as well.

ITTOG

Well I have read most of the three books I bought so time for some questions. I won't ask all of them at once as it may be overwhelming. But before the questions, some of my design goals.

I plan to make a hot tub cover to replace the wood and plastic one I have. It is 8' x 12' to cover a 7' x 11' hot tub. My design parameters are...
  1. Must support its own weight.
  2. Must be light enough my 14 year old daughter and wife can lift it. Both are petite at about 5' 1".
  3. Can't leave fiberglass behind so plan to devise a way to connect it to HDPE runners so the cover itself is not dragged on the top of my sandstone hot tub.
  4. Can't degrade in sunlight.
  5. Due to size strength is important.
a. Sides will be thicker than the top for added strength to support the horizontal face.
b. For optimum strength of the horizontal face I will plan to use four layers unidirectional fabric and one layer of mat to prevent print through. The unidirectional fabric layers will be at 90 degrees from the previous layer.

Now for the questions.
  1. What size air compressor and flow rate do you have. I have a small one I want to replace with a Dewalt but I want to make sure it is big enough, primarily with the flowrate. The flowrate is 5.0 SCFM at 90 PSI. Is that enough to power all the tools you use: dump gun, sanders, cutters, etc.
  2. Given the size of my project, I don't think I can lay it up efficiently unless I do it vertically and I don't want to try that. Reading the book makes it sound like that is much harder. Thus I am thinking three 8' x 4' sections that I will bond together later. Given that, I have some related questions.
a. When layering, it indicates you want to begin the next layer when the previous layer is tacky but before it is completely cured/dry or it will not have a chemical bond. Do you usually wait for it to get tacky or start with the next layer immediately after you finish the previous layer.
b. Given the above comment about adding layers before the previous layer dries, I don't think there is any way possible to build the three 8' x 4' sections and connect them before the last layer has dried. Any thoughts on this issue? Have you ever combined any parts after the previous layer dried? Was it very strong? I guess the worst case scenario is I leave it as three separate pieces. I guess that wouldn't be a horrible outcome but not preferred. Of course these thoughts are without given much thought to the weight of such a large one piece cover.
c. Hopefully I remember this correctly. Resin has no wax in it so it is cure inhibited, which indicates it will not dry completely. Later, I read info indicating to always lay the next layer before the previous layer dries (ie question 2.a). This seems to be contradictory?
  1. Do you use a cartridge respirator?
  2. All of your molds are female molds so you start with the gel coat. My plan was a male mold until reading the book. It indicates I can't create a male mold, do my fiberglassing, and then add a gelcoat. Am I reading that right?
a. What gel coat do you use (brand, type)?
  1. Does gel coat have UV inhibitors? Or is that just something you ensure to spec out?
  2. Do you buy your supplies locally or online?

That should do it for now. I greatly appreciate your offer to help answer questions. Hopefully this isn't too much.

I plan to build one about 2' x 3' or 4' x 6' for testing and learning.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I suggest you review the section of this thread where I made the fiberglass lid for the trailer - the cover is made in sections, reinforced structurally rather than by thickness of fiberglass so it is very light and strong, and easily supports a roof top tent.

Cover1Weight_zpsb309d7a1.jpg

GorillaTest2_zps11d647d4.jpg

M72RTT2_zps3f6bd48a.jpg

The molding and assembly of the cover starts about here: https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...le-trailer-tub-kit.94962/page-26#post-1367445

I would make your cover sectional and use reinforcements as I did for this cover.

Answers to your other questions:

You should check the specs of your air tools to ensure your compressor is adequate to handle them.

If you don't plan to paint the cover, you should use UV-resistant gelcoat. I usually buy my gelcoat from US Composites, they offer gelcoat with UV inhibitors.

Yes I use a cartridge respirator.

If you want a smooth outer surface, you should make a female mold as I did with the trailer cover above.

I always begin the next layer immediately after the prior layer. There's plenty of time assuming you catalyze the resin properly (too much catalyst and it will cure too quickly).

General purpose layup resin does include wax so it will cure completely. Gelcoat generally does not include wax so it will not cure completely unless it is isolated from the air (as it will be in a female mold with subsequent layers of fiberglass on top of it).

I think that covers all of your questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12