Fiberglass M416/M100 Military-style Trailer Tub Kit

jscherb

Expedition Leader
TestDrive1x_zpsdg4lwq5d.jpg

I did two test drives - the first was with the LJ because the trailer is smaller in width and height than the LJ so it fits in the LJ's slipstream. Then I did another test drive with my other Jeep, which would provide more frontal wind force on the trailer:

TestDrive2a_zps2rivaebx.jpg

TestDrive2b_zpsfaw20h4u.jpg

Both test drives went fine. Got up to about 75mph on the interstate and there was no bad behavior from the trailer or the cover. A slight bit of movement of the canvas at speed, but really not any different than I've seen on Jeep soft tops.

I would not hesitate to drive the trailer cross-country with this cover.

I've got a few finishing touches to put on the cover, a couple of minor tweaks to a couple of seams to improve the fit a bit, and weatherstripping between the frame and the tub and between the frame and the bottom of the side panels where they snap in place. I'll get to those details over the next week.

brian90744

American Trekker
Jeff .
check out post 1076 @http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/31599-Post-favorite-pics-of-your-rig-and-trailer/page108. keep up the good ideas=brian

Captain K-man

Adventurer
If I was the type of guy that swears to emphasize how much I like the work you do, I would say something like "That's *!%#ing awesome", but I'm not that kind of guy. So, I'll just say WOW, keep up the good work.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A couple of photos with all the sides rolled up:

SidesRolledUp1_zpsox1mhyn9.jpg

SidesRolledUp2_zpsicq5fpge.jpg

This can provide good access to the cargo inside, except the diagonal braces might be in the way. To solve that, I made it so they can quickly be swung out of the way.

Here's the hardware - each diagonal brace is held into the deck bracket with a quick-release clevis pin (http://www.sailrite.com/Quick-Release-Clevis-Pin-With-Spring-Key-Ring). Also this shot shows how the vertical hoops are held in the hoop sockets using ordinary clevis pins with hairpin clips.

SidesRolledUp3_zps67qclqfy.jpg

So with the diagonals swung up, full access to the inside is available (only the passenger rear diagonal is up in this photo):

SidesRolledUp4_zpsw3hyp3vn.jpg

Inside, there's a hook on the center hoop to hold the diagonal in the up position:

SidesRolledUp5_zpsfbmbkhl3.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
CargoAccess2_zpsy27h5dd1.jpg

Because the cover is hinged, the base frame for it needs to go all the way around the top of the tub in order to be sturdy. That means there's a bar across the top of the tailgate.

TailgateBar1_zpssc8y18e4.jpg

In addition to making the frame sturdy, the bar provides a place for the rear panel to snap to, and it also provides a surface for weatherstripping the top of the tailgate closure. The tailgate can be opened with the bar in place:

TailgateBar2_zpsr37nfqf8.jpg

But in the event larger cargo needs to be loaded, the bar would be in the way, so with two wing nuts, it removes:

TailgateBar3_zps2cs0go1t.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998