Fiberglass M416/M100 Military-style Trailer Tub Kit

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I don't plan to use the tonneau cover on top of the chuck wagon; I plan to use the fiberglass cover/tent platform, but I did these photos to suggest another idea - if extra cargo space is needed inside a military trailer you could build any height riser for the sides and top it off with a cover, such as this tonneau.

So just FWIW...

RiserWithTonneau1_zpsthomyzhe.jpg

RiserWithTonneau2_zpshqi6lkvv.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Are you making this part as a quick removal

Yes. If you look at the photos I just posted, the passenger side of the chuck wagon is held to the tub with the same latches that the cover uses. On the other side it's held in place with lift-of hinges (like Jeep doors). The fiberglass cover will attach to the top of the chuck wagon with the same latches/hinges, I'll get that done after lunch.

Also the chuck wagon section itself is bolted together, so it can come off in pieces to store flat instead of causing a storage problem. The disassembled sections were seen in the photo yesterday when I put the finish on the parts. The bolts in the corners that are visible in the photos go into tee nuts in the sides, so you don't have to reach inside to put a wrench on nuts, you can just do the bolts from the outside.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Enough work for today, all of the hardware is in place - the lid can go either on top of the tub or on top of the chuck wagon using the same lift-off hinges and latches.

ChuckWagonShellDone1_zpsizc0lbjx.jpg

ChuckWagonShellDone3_zpste7ombet.jpg

ChuckWagonShellDone2_zpsz67te55f.jpg

I also put the finish on the hatches, so tomorrow they'll be dry and I'll start installing them.

ChuckWagonHatchesDeckover_zpsrusvlk7q.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This afternoon I got the liftgate cut to size and installed.

Liftgate1_zpsj1lygdq6.jpg

Haven't installed a prop for it yet, so for the photos I'm using a yardstick (well, technically a 4-foot stick).

Liftgate2_zpsyrqgpde9.jpg

Liftgate3_zpss3xqgdte.jpg

Next up: installing the side hatches.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Someone told me they were thinking of building something similar, but with windows instead of cargo hatches in the sides. It just happens that I have a pair of windows here that are about the right size, so this morning I staged this photo for them :).

WindowMockup_zpsycvc6f6u.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A couple more photos from this morning...

Since I used the same hardware to secure the cover to the top of the chuck wagon as I did to secure the cover to the tub, the cover still can open. It's a bit high for even someone as tall as I am to use, so I don't plan to install the gas struts to hold the cover open; for the moment it's propped open with a board.

CoverOpen2_zpsxtco1xhz.jpg

CoverOpen1_zpsab5bexpg.jpg

I'm removing/disassembling the chuck wagon this morning so I can take the side panels downstairs into the workshop to install the cargo hatches. Unlatch the cover and it slides off the lift-off hinges, and then can be lifted off. The cover is plenty strong enough to support me walking on it or a roof-top tent, but being fiberglass it's light enough for me to easily handle.

RemovingCover_zpsyqekf3xf.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998