Fiberglass question...

MrCyrus16

Observer
Hello to all, I did a search on the forum but couldn't find to much info so I'll ask you fine peeps here. Has anyone used fiberglass over plywood for a M416 lid? I'm thinking a DIY kit of some sorts but having never tried this I'm not sure if it would work. I plan on having the lid fold in the center (2 halves) front to back but want it light weight so the wife has no problems lifting it. Any tips or thoughts would be helpful and appriciated.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Never see it done, but would love to see a fiberglass-foam laminate composite. Could be light weight and very strong. Basically, make a core with foam to the shape you want, and then glass both sides.

Both ideas will absolutely work. Fiberglass over wood has been done many many times by people building wooden boats using the "stitch and glue" method. The smoother the wood the better, and the surface must be sanded to allow the resin to permeate the pores of the wood to create a solid mechanical bond.

The fiberglass over foam core is definitely a great idea. That also has been used a billion times for anything from building a car like the tri-magnum to boats, to sculpture. You can only use urethane foam. you can find it at Home Depot, it is the tan foam with foil on both sides. Peel the foil and go to town. If you use Styro-foam, the Isocynates in the resin will dissolve the foam immediately.

composites is my thing, so feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

Scott

scott@cafe-customs (dot) com

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Just for grins, you might give Mr. George Dillon a call and get some pros/cons

He's the owner of TENTRAX, off-road trailers, or talk to his wife, Darcy-tell em JIMBO said Hi !!~

My entire trailer, cept for frame/suspension, uses that FG/MARINE PLYWOOD construction, with SS fittings and is very light, very strong and easily modified-great idea

Checkout www.tentrax.com 1-800-488-2022

:costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

D

Deleted member 9101

be sure to put a tarp down under your work area, the resin sticks to every thing like you wouldn't believe.

MrCyrus16

Observer
Thanks all for the tips, I thought about foam but never working with it before I feel much more confident using plywood, plus I think it would be easier for me to attach the lid to the trailer. But depending on how $$$ the foam is I may buy a few to play with and see how to attach it.

Both ideas will absolutely work. Fiberglass over wood has been done many many times by people building wooden boats using the "stitch and glue" method. The smoother the wood the better, and the surface must be sanded to allow the resin to permeate the pores of the wood to create a solid mechanical bond.

So if I was going to use the wood, what kind...3/4" plywood, pine? I heard there are numerous kinds of fiberglass out there but which one would i use for either the wood or foam? Being in Arizona I need it to stand up to the heat, sun, humidity and monsoons.

Thanks again guys!

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:I think Tentrax uses 3/8 & 1/2" MARINE plywood

Thanks all for the tips, I thought about foam but never working with it before I feel much more confident using plywood, plus I think it would be easier for me to attach the lid to the trailer. But depending on how $$$ the foam is I may buy a few to play with and see how to attach it.

So if I was going to use the wood, what kind...3/4" plywood, pine? I heard there are numerous kinds of fiberglass out there but which one would i use for either the wood or foam? Being in Arizona I need it to stand up to the heat, sun, humidity and monsoons.

Thanks again guys!

Make the call-1-800-488-2022

:costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
The fiberglass over foam core is definitely a great idea. That also has been used a billion times for anything from building a car like the tri-magnum to boats, to sculpture. You can only use urethane foam. you can find it at Home Depot, it is the tan foam with foil on both sides. Peel the foil and go to town. If you use Styro-foam, the Isocynates in the resin will dissolve the foam immediately.

Really? I use epoxy on foam all the time with RC airplanes. Is the fiberglass resin different?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
About 1973-74 my dad built a hard tonneau cover for his Datsun pick-up using the fibreglas over wood method. He framed with cut and dado'd 1" x 1" and paneled with 1/4" ply. He added a colorant to the resin to make it white. (Not sure if that is better than painting/gel-coating or not.)

And the post about covering the floor is oh so true. There were still pieces of drippings stuck to the garage floor when mom moved from that house in 2000.

I'd suggest looking into the diy vacuum bagging techniques. I've seen a couple that seemed really easy to copy, and while might not produce professional grade results, would certainly produce nice results.

jh504

Explorer
I built a 14' canoe using the plywood/ fiberglass stitch and glue method http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16902&highlight=pirogue. It turned out very well, and has held up to the elements. I am planning on using the same method when I build my camper. I am going to sandwich foam between 1/4" plywood and then fiberglass the outside. One thing I would say is if you have never used fiberglass/resin before it can be a pain right at first. Also plan on using more resin than you think you will need, until you get the hang of it. Good luck though, I think it is a great idea.

MrCyrus16

Observer
Thanks again for the help, I think I'll go ahead and and get the supplies needed in the next few days and give it a go. I'll let you know how it works and try to remember to take some pics. Cheers!

Tight_wad

Adventurer
Thanks again for the help, I think I'll go ahead and and get the supplies needed in the next few days and give it a go. I'll let you know how it works and try to remember to take some pics. Cheers!

Did you ever end up doing anything with the fiberglass?

MrCyrus16

Observer
No, I decided to go with a raised steel framed lid wrapped in 18ga steel. The trailer is currently torn apart and getting primed and ready for re-assembly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78