Finally, a place for Overlanders in Panama City, Panama, Central America!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Panama Passage Opens Overlander Resource Center in Panama City

Overland travelers now have a great place to stay and organize shipping and other logistics in Panama City.

Panama City, Panama, March 19, 2011 – Finally, overlanders can get help in arranging their crossing of the Darien Gap and/or shipping of their vehicles to other destinations.
Panama Passage is now welcoming guests to its comfortable and convenient lodging and resource center in Panama City.

According to Panama Passage founder, Christian Pelletier, “For decades, overlanders have been struggling with the crossing of the Darien Gap. Thousands of people ship across every year in motorcycles, cars and 4x4s. Yet until this day there was no permanent infrastructure in place to assist them with this process. Instead, overlanders had to start from scratch facing ever-changing, inconsistent local agents/shippers. Furthermore, Panama City was lacking overlander lodging with a place to fix and prepare their vehicles, exchange information and stories, and find others with whom to share shipping containers. Not any more.”

Panama Passage is now open and welcoming all overlanders in Panama – whether on bicycle, motorcycle, car, 4x4, large truck or foot. On site you will find a full range of accommodations, a workspace area, contacts, free Wi-Fi, a shipping matchmaking service as well as general shipping advice/assistance and more.

Shaun, Christian (2aroundtheworld) and Persephone
www.panamapassage.com
GPS Coordinates: 08°57.767′N, 079°32.767′W (8.961045, -79.543762)

panamapassage2.jpg

Panama Passage Day 1​

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Good luck with your new business venture, Christian! What's the address of the Panama Passage facility?

Is it true that "Thousands of people cross [the Darien Gap] every year..." ? I think you mean that thousands have to make arrangements to travel around the impassable Darien region each year.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Panama Passage blog said:
Two motorcyclists shipped their bikes back to the USA from Panama City a month ago. The original quote was $500 per bike, a good deal to crate back to the US. Once the bikes were in route – the owner was asked to pay $1,000 more per bike, or they wouldnt release the bikes to his person.

I'm curious, so what happened in the end to the two BMW motorcycles?

snohobo

Good luck with your new business venture, Christian! What's the address of the Panama Passage facility?

The address is

Panama Passage
Barrio Ancon
Calle Parita, Numero 503
Panama, Repubic de Panama

We're located behind the PTJ in Cerro Ancon. The PTJ is the main Police Station in Panama City. I'll provide you all with a map shortly.

In the meantime - give me a call if you need anything.

507-6108-4245

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
This is good news. From my recolection the main police station was were we needed to process some of our export documents. Quite frankly it was a very rough area. Having local help will be welcome to all. I really enjoyed panama..

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I'm curious, so what happened in the end to the two BMW motorcycles?

As far as I know, they paid the extra $1000 and got their bikes delivered in Miami.

But it just shows how inconsistent service is in Panama. Some people have a good experience, some people have a bad one, but pretty much everyone restart the process from scratch every time.

We hope that by having someone local (Shaun) who is permanently there, we can find the best shipping companies/agents, work with them and streamline the process.
And help getting the best price possible.
We have already been talking with some people and have had feedback from current overlanders.

We are obviously very excited to open this place and we are hoping that this will become the "rendez-vous" location in Panama City. As some of you may have guessed, this was the reason we did this quick trip with the Land Cruiser over Christmas. I did not want to announce it before we had everything sorted...

:)

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Very nice accommodations there Christian. I hope to enjoy them one day!

Thanks - we will have a room for you if you need one.

Actually, we have 6 rooms for those who prefer not to camp and are named appropriately...the KTM room, the BMW room, the Land Rover room, etc...

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Great news mate, Je vous souhaite la meilleure des chances

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Not sure if you have spread the word yet but I would think a post on HUBB, Advrider and a few other forums would be welcomed...

I will go check out the website to get more info

dzzz

Wonderful idea. I know from my searching there's definitely a need here. As a suggestion a "Driving Central America" FAQ/resource might attract your target group.

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
named appropriately...the KTM room, the BMW room, the Land Rover room, etc...

Eh hem...Syncro room??:littlefriend:

Congrats! :beer:

lol... At first glance I thought, why the hell would there be overlanders in Florida and especially the Redneck Riviera??

Last edited:

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
We are obviously very excited to open this place and we are hoping that this will become the "rendez-vous" location in Panama City.

Welp, when I get the chance, I will need to pick up from Panama City, which is where I left off, and continue on south pass the Darien Gap.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Not sure if you have spread the word yet but I would think a post on HUBB, Advrider and a few other forums would be welcomed...

I will go check out the website to get more info

Yes we will do that for sure. Just wanted to announce it here first...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan