Finally a real 12v air conditioner? - Indel Sleeping Well Cube

adam88

Explorer
I installed this unit ina Ford e350 extended van with a CCV pop top

http://dcpowersales.com/project/kalori-electrik-variable-speed/

I have had only a few days of testing. They were hot days, 100 degrees... and the ac did great. Running it at 24v straight off my battery bank and no inverter needed... which I liked....

D

Thanks for the info Dave. That looks like a great unit. Can you tell me more about the BTU rating? On the site it says that the 24v BTU is variable at "6250/11900/16500 BTU". What BTU is yours set at?

craig333

Expedition Leader
Zero Breeze a dud

Finally got my Zero Breeze last week. It does work. Kinda loud but cold air does come out of it. Problem is just not very much. It will not cool my camper even without the top popped. Aimed directly at the dog it kept him cool, thats about all I could say. Glad I tested before I wound up cutting a hole for the exhaust (test used the window). Its very sensitive to having the exhaust straight and short. My solar does go negative even in full sun but I have enough I could run it if it worked well enough. A lot of people are saying how well it works, indoors. Well duh if it has cool air to start with. I'd hoped to use it in the cab of the truck but I can't see anyway to run the exhaust even if I were willing to cut holes. Exhausting out the window would require a platform and not be too subtle to the thieves, besides its not much more likely to cool my cab than my camper.

Maybe when the battery arrives I'll find some use for it sitting right next to me in my lawn chair? Maybe the second generation unit will be more effective but I won't be caught spending that kind of money again for an unproven product. Learned my lesson.

adam88

Explorer
Finally got my Zero Breeze last week. It does work. Kinda loud but cold air does come out of it. Problem is just not very much. It will not cool my camper even without the top popped. Aimed directly at the dog it kept him cool, thats about all I could say. Glad I tested before I wound up cutting a hole for the exhaust (test used the window). Its very sensitive to having the exhaust straight and short. My solar does go negative even in full sun but I have enough I could run it if it worked well enough. A lot of people are saying how well it works, indoors. Well duh if it has cool air to start with. I'd hoped to use it in the cab of the truck but I can't see anyway to run the exhaust even if I were willing to cut holes. Exhausting out the window would require a platform and not be too subtle to the thieves, besides its not much more likely to cool my cab than my camper.

Maybe when the battery arrives I'll find some use for it sitting right next to me in my lawn chair? Maybe the second generation unit will be more effective but I won't be caught spending that kind of money again for an unproven product. Learned my lesson.

Thanks for sharing Craig. I think the problem is simply that it is 1100 btu (what they claim) which is just too small to make any kind of difference. The other problem is it only uses 1 hose which is not really great for air conditioners.
For comparison, the Autoclima U-GO (http://www.u-gofresco.com/pdf/depliant_U-GO_12V_multilingue.pdf) is a true 12v air conditioner, using the same danfoss compressor that all the top fridges use. It puts out 3250 BTU which is a much more respectable number. Moreover, it has a 2 hose design.
I am not super convinced by either of these though. Portable air conditioners like this are so inefficient compared to the mini-splits. The EER is around 8-9. I think the future is in mounting efficient multi-split inverter style units.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
The Danfoss compressor is an "inverter" type compressor - just isn't setup to run variable speed and uses DC as an input.

I agree that small mini-splits will be the future.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Many danfoss control units support variable speed. Usually via a variable resistor or voltage signal. Often a simple on/off thermostat is used to save money despite the control units capabilities.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
It came factory set at the middle setting of 11,900... have not changed it... I am getting a bit of harmonic vibration and the folks at D.C. Power sales told me to use some blue foam insulation in the mounting to help isolate the vibration... i I may also try to switch the lower setting, since that will have the compressor run at a lower rpm

I had thermostat to 70 degrees Fahrenheit in 100 degree outside temp... no problem cooling things down....

Btw, I a sensitive to sound, so other people my not notice... I also chose a v10 because I am unwilling to listen to a 7.3 diesel

Can you take some photos of your install? I am looking for a solution as well...and this looks like it may work well. Can the unit be set to run on the high setting? Is there a remote available (I'd need to be able to control it while driving since it will be used as the rear a/c as well as cooling the dogs/kids while parked)

May I ask what you paid for it?

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
It appears that the 24v model us not as efficient as the 12v model - the currents are close to the same on the 24v models and the btus are similar. Strange...

luthj

Engineer In Residence
It appears that the 24v model us not as efficient as the 12v model - the currents are close to the same on the 24v models and the btus are similar. Strange...

Sounds like an application for a 12-24v dc-dc converter. They can be found in the 90% efficiency range.

karashirl

Not yet, but I have the AutoClima U-Go (supposed to be the same thing) sitting on the floor of my shop right now. It's going in my Ford Transit long/tall adventure van I'm building up over the next couple months. I hooked it up directly to an Odyssey PC680 battery and fired it up just to see how much cold air it blew. Took a couple minutes to get fully cold, but seemed like "enough" air. But we'll see.

My plan is to hopefully run the ducting to a hole in the floor by a wall. I'll be doing an RV-styled power system using an inverter/charger, big battery (400Ah total, somehow, haven't decided how yet), solar panels on roof, etc. The power thread is here:

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...y-adventure-van-power-system-please?p=2316435

Anyway, seems well-made. Got it for just under $2k from www.badgeair.com in the US. Per BTU, it's more than the kickstarter thing. But I'm worried the kickstarter thing won't EVER ship, but simply because that's so common with kickstarter things.

Even if my U-Go won't cool the entire van, I'll simply use it to cool the bed area alone by using some insulated curtains. I really only need it for sleeping more than "being a cold RV all the time."

I plan to update here with my experiences either way.

--Donnie

Hi Donnie, I'm considering a U-Go. How has it been for you? Did it keep your van cool and how is the noise level?

djb_rh

Observer
Hi Donnie, I'm considering a U-Go. How has it been for you? Did it keep your van cool and how is the noise level?

I actually only recently got going on my van, sadly. I did just recently get it ducted to the outside of the van and hooked it up just to let it run. Definitely pretty quiet, seems like enough AC, but I haven't insulated the van yet so I don't know for sure.

Sorry I don't have more info yet.

--Donnie

jumpjack

Hi,
I am looking for a small A/C system for a small vehicle, 1 cubic meter available volume; currently this is the list I found:

Dimensioning:
http://www.iceqube.com/calculator/
1m3
in: 25°C
out: 40°C
result: 3200 BTU/h

Low voltage:
U-GO!- 12V - 40x36x37 cm - 950W - 3250 BTU - 1700 euro
Sleeping well cube - 12V - 40x36x37 cm - 950W - 1400 euro
Dirna MINICOOL Dinamic 1.1 - 24V - 79x63x20cm - 1000W - 1800 euro

High voltage
SPLENDID - UNICO EASY SF 01056 - 220V/50Hz - 69x67x28 cm - 34 kg - 900W - 6000 BTU - 664 euro (scheda)
Olimpia Splendid 01415 Issimo - 230V - 59x53x48cm - 31 kg - 12000 BTU - 900 euro - scheda

Iceqube IQ4000EV 400 BTU/h - 220V/50Hz - 72x29x36cm - 44 kg - 800-1300W - 2400 euro - scheda
Saphir Compact - 220V/50Hz - 56 x 40 x 28 cm - 20kg - 1800W - 1380 euro
FRESHWELL 200 - 230V - 40x29x56cm - 1800W - 6100BTU - 1200 euro

Could this be used on a car? It's designed for boats, so it uses sea water; what would it happen using air instead?
COMPACT 7 MK3 VECO

They also exist "electrical enclosure air conditioners", made of a single unit, but can't find a suitable one yet.

Any suggestion?

djb_rh

Observer
No, you can't use a boat AC unit that uses water as its exchange in a car. It's designed specifically to dump heat in water, not air.

--Donnie

Deshet

Adventurer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior