Finally getting my recovery gear together.

R8R ROK

Andrew-

Thanks for the critique!.

I see I need to let you guys know what the truck is for. First off, it is not a recreational off road vehicle or bogger the way most folks see it. I try my absolute best to stay away from deep mud, soft dirt, and large rocks. That is what makes it so interesting for me. Just getting there with major restrictions along the way.

We, as a family, like to camp with our travel trailer, and it is not a small one. About half the time we are in campgrounds, and other times we like to try to get away from everybody. That means we go to state and Fed parks in Pennsylvania and New York state. We take gravel roads, then dirt roads, and then overland to some nice spots. It is called boondocking, where you have no other stuff than your trailer and you can be miles from the nearest dirt road. You carry your water, food, and everything else you need for a week or more. The trailer does the rest. It is pretty plush compared to how the wife and I did it for our first 15 years together, which was with a tent. Given the size of the trailer, I have heard several times that I can't take that there or it will never work. We still get there.

Anyway, towing a somewhat heavy trailer (about 6500lbs or so) overland can be a interesting experience. Sometimes we go somewhere that we have never been, and the terrain is unknown. Scouting in front of the truck by foot is a family experience. Even at places that we have been to before, the soil will change from year to year. Getting stuck happens. Before now, the only alternative that I have had if we get stuck is to call a tow truck. Needless to say, that gets very expensive. The tow operators know they have you over a barrel with the trailer, and they will charge astronomical pricees. In the last 8 years we have been stuck in the woods only twice and once in a mud bog dirt road on a campground. After the last time paying to get out of the woods, we swore we would do everything we could to keep from having to pay 500 to 750 dollars again, even if it cost a mint. Anything is better than being stuck for a day and night and plain 4X4 just wasn't cutting it.

So the idea is to create a off road tow vehicle that has more power to the wheels, (regearing) Is more than self sufficient, (on board air systems, dual batteries, alternator, larger tires, lifted for clearance, tools and spares) and is capable of self recovery. Buckstop Bumpers front and rear with shackle points, winch, lights, and many other items. Since we go alone, we really need to take it all.

The Excursion currently has a 5 inch lift, and the tires were carefully chosen as a compromise for street/overland towing performance. There is on board air with dual Viair 450C's, airbags in the rear, extra battery underneath, and a replacement valve body in the trans for better performance.

I have ARB air lockers, 4.56 gears, and other parts for both axles sitting in my garage waiting for me to put them in, hopefully starting in the next two weeks. That will include a complete rebuild of the front with new and stronger shafts and U joints, brakes, and lines. The rear is also getting a ARB and aftermarket shafts.

I have shackle points for front and rear bumpers. That Alone is enough to allow me to lift the truck with the Hi-lift. However, I also have a T-lift to go with it. http://www.tliftonline.com/
So far, I have test jacked at all four points, and all four wheels with the Hi-lift Lift Mate and have had no problems.

I am much more comfortable with a Axe. I've used them all my life. I find that with a properly sharpened and balanced axe I can go through the average log just as fast, and I have no size limitations like a bowsaw does. The only other way for me is with a chainsaw, and that is not needed for this kind of use.

If you look, I have 2 chains and 2 tree straps, not 3. 3/8" Grade 100 chains are just as strong as the winchline and I would prefer using them in the mud whenever possible to protect the line. Two chains and the master link allow me to create a two chain harness for the front of the truck or for winching out the trailer. They also afford a additonal 40 foot winchline extension if needed.

A 12 ton bottle jack is already part of the standard gear in the trailer.

A tow strap is not needed as there is noone to pull me out with it, especially with a trailer. for me, they are useless.

Each tree strap http://www.expeditionexchange.com/cart/product.php?productid=18482&cat=0&page=1 is sufficient for a wiinch pull to stall using a pully. Two pulleys can easily need two tree straps. When I asked, the company tech said it will handle a max of 33000lb load each.

Thanks to everyone for reading this long post, and thanks again for the info!

Nice ,

Post some pics of your set up. I will go look for them now but I like your style.

housedad

Observer
Nice ,

Post some pics of your set up. I will go look for them now but I like your style.

Just to make it easier on me, I will direct you to a Ford Excursion website forum where I am chronicling the changes and modifications to my Excursion. It is a long thread and it has extensive pictures. I posted about the recovvery gear there, also, but they are not really into expedition style or travel so much.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/910200-buckstop-bumpers-are-on-and-running-updates-on-modifications.html

sizeimage.php

timmer2008

Adventurer
you should use a long yanker rope for snatching out that much truck. I wouldnt even bother with anthing other than the highest quality sized proof tested and rated strap or rope.

forum sponsor sells ones for big trucks at a good price.

dirty Bakers

Conservative
House Dad I have never met you but you are one of my Heros. When you use your recovery gear and you have young boys, heck even the girls will be impressed wit there ol Dad. I know my Dad impressed me when he would do that sort of thing.

House dad I love your rig! Ford should still make this rig! That being said I just ordered a new extra add a leaf to add to my rear suspension because of my recovery gear and sleep platform I have droopie rear end now. With trailer and truck you must be neerly 50' long! You need all the recovery gear you can haul!

05LR3AZ

Adventurer
Wow

Wow, that's alot of gear and mod's. Good luck with your vehicle transformation. Sounds like fun! Quite the list of recovery gear but the one time you'll regret not having it is the one time you actually need it, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger