Finally I can participate

MountainMike

I wish I could say I was new here, but I have been a member for about 4 years dreaming of the day that I could get an expedition worthy vehicle.

The day has come and I am proud to say I have gotten a 3rd gen Toyota 4runner- 1996. came with the factory e-locker, 16" wheel package. It has just about 172k miles on it and does need some general maintenance done before I can get to the really fun stuff of building it up.

It is my daily driver, but I definitely want to set it up to take my kids on adventures around Arizona and possibly further venturing out on 3-5 day tours of the bordering states (most likely use) some heavy rock trails, those of you that are familiar with Arizona trails can relate. I want to eventually pull a trailer with my gear, but it will have to all fit in the rig for now. I also hunt and take some harder journeys when I can get away with friends to challenge the rigs.

So I am probably a pretty typical case here, I need it to be functional but also capable when the time comes. I think the 4runner will fit the bill nicely with that.

First order of business was getting a K&N air intake, I was inspecting the spark plugs and moved the original air cleaner hose and it basically started cracking and breaking up on me. Old rubber I guess. Next is to change all the fluids in the diff and transmission. I know that's not always the best choice if I will be in water or mud, but hey it's AZ and rarely will that be the case even in the mountains.

Here's where the fun starts:

Part of the maintenance is the suspension. To be honest, it doesn't look like it's ever been done (rear sag like no other). I have done tons of research here and on other boards and I have narrowed my choices down to either a complete OME setup, or doing a combo OME with Bilstein shocks.

Anyone out there have run the 2nd choice combo and can comment on the preferred setup? If so which OME springs to use kind of knowing what I need?

I am also open to other suggestions on upgrades and maintenance things to look for or tackle first.

Look forward to being able to contribute to the forum and keep a build thread.

pics:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=80C85F4D329F9ADF!108&authkey=!ADeIzt_HYhyZul4

thanks!

Mike

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Nice truck! It has some later-model wheels on it. The original wheel style is widely available on Craigslist if you have the hankering. It doesn't look like it has any sag--the stance looks about right. We have a '98 in the family that was part of a service bulletin for upgraded rear coil springs--you might see if yours can participate in that. The improved coils are much more supportive for towing.

I would shy away from the K&N intake. I ran just a K&N filter element on the 4runner for a while and noticed how much dirtier the oil was getting. I don't think they do a very good job of filtering the really fine dust. I've also heard reports of the filter oil foiling up the MAF sensor. I've stuck with stock-style filter elements. If the original filter enclosure is disintegrating, you can find a stock replacement pretty easily at a salvage yard.

I imagine it has the 3.4L. That's a timing belt design--make sure the belt replacement interval has been heeded--the interval is 90,000 miles.

Some 3rd gen 4runners have been having issues with front lower ball joint failure. There was a recall for the 2000-2001 models but the earlier 3rd gens weren't included. The failures have strangely and luckily been occurring a low speed but it's worth researching and possibly replacing those lower ball joints.

Enjoy the truck!

Eric

MountainMike

Nice truck! It has some later-model wheels on it. The original wheel style is widely available on Craigslist if you have the hankering. It doesn't look like it has any sag--the stance looks about right. We have a '98 in the family that was part of a service bulletin for upgraded rear coil springs--you might see if yours can participate in that. The improved coils are much more supportive for towing.

I would shy away from the K&N intake. I ran just a K&N filter element on the 4runner for a while and noticed how much dirtier the oil was getting. I don't think they do a very good job of filtering the really fine dust. I've also heard reports of the filter oil foiling up the MAF sensor. I've stuck with stock-style filter elements. If the original filter enclosure is disintegrating, you can find a stock replacement pretty easily at a salvage yard.

I imagine it has the 3.4L. That's a timing belt design--make sure the belt replacement interval has been heeded--the interval is 90,000 miles.

Some 3rd gen 4runners have been having issues with front lower ball joint failure. There was a recall for the 2000-2001 models but the earlier 3rd gens weren't included. The failures have strangely and luckily been occurring a low speed but it's worth researching and possibly replacing those lower ball joints.

Enjoy the truck!

Eric

I was wondering about the rims, I can't seem to find them on the 96 year history. I want to do the tundra brake upgrade and will need to know spacing and eventually get some 255/85/16s next spring. thanks for the heads up

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Those wheels you have came on the 1st-gen Tundra and the last part of the 1st-gen Tacoma (around 2001-2004). If your Tundra brake swap is from a 1st gen, I imagine you'd be fine.

MountainMike

Did I do my research correctly? If I go with the OME coils up front get teh 885's and set the 5100's on the lowest setting. Then in the rear, go 906s or 890s and 5100's off a 2001 tundra?

otherwise, if I don't want to mess with a hybrid setup for my first big change, based on my usage, what do you recommend in an OME, Medium or heavy duty?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle