Finally! I got my new Rickson 19.5 wheels

D

Deleted member 9101

Looks great.... not time for chrome plating and spinners...lol

JRhetts

Adventurer
...The soapy water test revealed air leaking from rim near the end of a weld.
....Next day the other side started leaking but it seemed manageable with stops every 100 miles or so.
By the last day both rear wheels needed air every 100 miles and when I did make it home they were flat within minutes.
My subsequent inspection shows 2 new cracks in the re-welded wheel, and 1 crack in the other. All are close to welds.

As you can read above, we had stockton wheels that failed us in at least a somewhat similar way.

I was 'lucky' enough to limp in to a small town in the OR desert where a mining engineer was visiting his mother; he unequivocally told me that welding the rims would never solve the problem, so we replaced them at first with new Stockton rims which shortly also failed!!! Even later, we used Alcoa truck rims, and have never had another similar problem.

So, my counsel, for what it is worth [what exactly did you pay for it?], is: DO NOT RELY ON A WELD TO REPAIR A STOCKTON RIM!!! [OR ANY OTHER , FOR THAT MATTER.]

i think that you, like I, got stung, and for the safety of our families we have to migrate to and pay for a better product.

John

DzlToy

Explorer
The simple, albeit potentially financially expensive solution, is to purchase QUALITY WHEELS FROM A GOOD VENDOR!!!

Is your life or vacation or trip around the world worth dealing with some jerk on the web who has horrible product reviews and customer service to get a "cheap price"??

Good wheel vendors:

MRW - Marsh Racing Wheels - will make just about anything

Allied Wheel - lots of popular wheel sizes, not sure about custom

Walker Evans Wheels - same notes as Allied

Rickson - no personal experience but never heard anything bad about them

Longs Wheel in Jacksonville Florida - will make almost anything

Plenty of good vendors out there people. Support the good vendors, especially those that support this and other good forums like Pirate and Mud. Hopefully the bad vendors will eventually die off, but like USA6x6 and others, they will screw a lot of people along the way first.

The internet is your friend here. Research and get references before ordering a product, especially an expensive or custom one that could ruin a trip or injure someone.

just my three cents worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears